FASTEST POLE VAULTER

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:55 am

one thing i want to know is has anyone ever tried to measure the pole speed of the from the start of the plant till when it hits the box? the seems like a better way to measure the true energy created at the plant.
Last edited by KYLE ELLIS on Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:05 am

KYLE ELLIS wrote:one thing i want to know is has anyone ever tried to measure the speed of the from the start of the plant till when it hits the box? the seems like a better way to measure the true energy created at the plant.

ye they measure last 5 m of approach with beams, gun or more reliable with high-end video camera.
agapit

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:16 pm

agapit wrote:
KYLE ELLIS wrote:one thing i want to know is has anyone ever tried to measure the speed of the from the start of the plant till when it hits the box? the seems like a better way to measure the true energy created at the plant.

ye they measure last 5 m of approach with beams, gun or more reliable with high-end video camera.
agapit

oops sorry i left out a very important word, i meant has anyone tried to measure the speed of the pole at impact instead the running body. the whole goal is to move the POLE to vertical fast as possible, not move the body fast as possible. Its my belief some add more speed to their plant than others and create more energy even though they might not be running as fast.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:17 am

KYLE ELLIS wrote:
agapit wrote:

agapit

oops sorry i left out a very important word, i meant has anyone tried to measure the speed of the pole at impact instead the running body. the whole goal is to move the POLE to vertical fast as possible, not move the body fast as possible. Its my belief some add more speed to their plant than others and create more energy even though they might not be running as fast.

The pole speed is not a reliable measurable variable. Short poles will move faster to the vertical. The vaulters body speed is a true reflection of the system energy.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:56 pm

no im talking about how fast the "pole" is traveling right before and at the instant it hits the back of the box. instead of measuring the spped of the vaulter at takeoff i would like to see someone measure how fast the pole is traveling just before it makes contact with the box.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun May 01, 2005 11:17 pm

If you accept the Petrov model then you know that the pole should be positioned for take off as the athlete comes onto the penultimate step. If it is already in that position at that point it would be difficult if not impossible to move the pole faster that the athlete themselves is moving.

Although there is clearly a correlation between speed and vault performance the critical factor is how much kinetic energy does the vaulter actually transmit into the pole and at what angle. That is a function of a free take off with high hands which continue to drive up through the plant, and a body which is 'solid' from top hand to take off toe.

Dr Jean Claude Perin -coach of 84 Olympic champion Quinon studied as many variables as he could find that might relate to vault performance and the highest correlation came from long jumping not 100m speed -although again there is clearly a high correlation between lj and sprint speed. ;)

" What is technically desirable must be physically possible"
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

TreyDECA
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS, College, and current Elite vaulter/decathlete

Unread postby TreyDECA » Mon May 02, 2005 1:04 am

eleazar wrote:
anyhow, i think there should be a catagory for what you consider a vaulter, in this case, i think we could congratulate trey for probably being the second fastest 16' vaulter (bryan clay has ran 10.39 and jumped 16-8), i am pretty sure bubka is the fastest 20' vaulter (since he is the ONLY 20' vaulter)...probably dan o'brien is the fastest 17' vaulter 100m pr of 10.23...

i jumped 5.10, indoors, the morning after my first ever multi-event, just after my 19th b'day... i'll break the collegiate record before i'm done... 10.39=mine :mad:
8700... mark it down

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon May 02, 2005 1:18 am

i also feel the long jump is the best test of athletic potential... i have stated that before in other sections of pv power...

based on the long jump for women the women's pv record should/could be 17'3"

and after coaching high school football for several years i realized your best long jumper in school should be your top running back....

i don't have any reason to doubt that bubka could jump 26' and run 10.3/10.4.. i ran 10.5 and long jumped 25'1...

as far as great athletes... many/most pole vaulters could do some pretty good stuff.. bell high jumped 6'3" from 3 steps and long jumped 21'7 from 6 steps... he also ran 11.5 100M with the pole.. tully threw the javelin over 200 feet... and the speed demons have been previously mentioned.

one thing we can be sure of... bubka was the best pole vaulter to date on fiberglass...

by the way.. somebody send me a vaulter that can run 10.4 and lj 26' and in two years we will have a new world record.. all i would ask is that the athlete hear me out and try to follow my teaching.................and give me 10% of the bonus'

; )

dj

ps... yes i know i should have been a vaulter myself instead of a hurdler, jumper, sprinter decathlete(to small).. but my environment and the times didn't allow it...i'm just glad i got to vault as a decathlete...
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon May 02, 2005 7:28 am

dj wrote:based on the long jump for women the women's pv record should/could be 17'3"

The big difference is that we have yet to have an athlete with the raw talent of say a Jackie Joyner-Kersee pick up a pole yet. Sorry, but JJK would hand Isibayeva her @ss in a brown paper bag in any test of athletic ability that wasn't pole vaulting. When that caliber of athlete begins vaulting at age 12 and sticks with it, then you're going to see true Bubka-like performances on the women's side.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

mikepv1
Muahahahaha!!

Unread postby mikepv1 » Mon May 02, 2005 3:23 pm

achtungpv wrote:Sorry, but JJK would hand Isibayeva her @ss in a brown paper bag in any test of athletic ability that wasn't pole vaulting.

LOL Nice.
"For a few seconds, it is as if you are a bird."
-Sergei Bubka

TreyDECA
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS, College, and current Elite vaulter/decathlete

Unread postby TreyDECA » Mon May 02, 2005 4:57 pm

achtungpv wrote:Sorry, but JJK would hand Isibayeva her @ss in a brown paper bag in any test of athletic ability that wasn't pole vaulting.

so would kluft
8700... mark it down

CrossBarHOpper
PV Pro

Unread postby CrossBarHOpper » Mon May 02, 2005 5:49 pm

I Agree Jackie Joyner-Kersee would Kill most athletes even most men shees was awsome I never saw her from present times consider that i was too young but I ve seen videos and the stats and man shes Insane
hey guys! Abe Lincoln?
Sophmore PR 14'6"

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”