Isi updates ...

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:44 pm

http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlin ... oct404.php

Sports Movies and TV 2007 kicks off in Italy

Indiantelevision.com Team

(29 October 2007 7:00 pm)

MUMBAI: The 25th edition of the International Sports Movies and Television Federation (FICTS) festival is taking place at Milan (Italy).

The festival is called Sport Movies and TV 2007. The final phase of the 'World FICTS challenge' is being staged in collaboration with National Olympic Committees (NOCs) on the five continents.

Till 1 November, the event was supported and recognised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC). It will offer the chance to see different cinema and television productions from 45 countries.

The Festival was opened in the Palazzo Marino in the presence of the authorities and personalities from sport, cinema and journalism. Those invited included the Russian Olympic pole vault champion, Yelena Isinbayeva; French actor and former rugby player Philippe Leroy-Beaulieu; and 30 Olympic gold medallists.

The best production in each of the six categories of: Olympic Spirit, Documentaries, TV programmes, Sport and Society, Films and Sport and Advertising will be awarded the prestigious Garland of Honour by the international jury.

Parallel to the 150 projections and the film competition, seminars, meetings and exhibitions will offer a comprehensive approach to the world of sport.

The general public will also have the chance to discover a multimedia exhibition on 'Women and Olympic Values: women and sport, past and present' designed by the Olympic Museum in Lausanne (Switzerland).

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:29 am

Here's the latest announcement from AllSport.ru:
10:32 30.10.2007 – Light Athletics
Yelena Isinbaeva will appear at the winter world championships without selection

The European, world and Olympic Games champion, and world record holder in the women’s pole vault, Yelena Isinbaeva will appear without selection at the winter world championships, which take place on 7-9 March of 2008 in Valencia Spain. The chief trainer of the Russian light athletics team, Valentin Maslakov, reported this to the agency of sport information “All Sport”.

“We’re trying to be sufficiently flexible with regard to the winter starts of the leading athletes,” stated Valentin Maslakov. “The position of the trainers’ council is that it’s particularly desirable for representatives of the speed-power events to come out this winter. We will select the team for the world championships based on the results of the Russian championships in Moscow on 8-10 February. Strictly the two best in the individual events will make the team, along with the six strongest in the relays. The only exception to this selection formula will be made for Isinbaeva. A week ago Lena herself was at the federation, and recently her trainer Vitaliy Petrov also confirmed that Isinbaeva will compete at the winter world championships. But since Lena trains in Italy, and keeping track of her movements around Europe is very complicated, we decided to free her from selection. The trainers’ council decided the rule "under Isinbaeva" with respect to the summer championship of Russia, is that reigning world champions, if they are no lower than third in the current world rankings at the time of the summer national championships, can complete in the Olympiad without selection. The formula "two plus one" makes it possible to accept the first two prize-winners from the Russian championships on the team, and one athlete based on the recommendation of the trainers’ council - in this case, the world champion.”

Valentin Maslakov also confirmed that so far none of the Russian light athletics stars have declined to come out in this winter season. “As of this time, no one has refused to compete this winter, true, though we also haven’t received special confirmations. But knowing Tatiana Lebedeva, for example, who as a rule doesn’t pass up the winter, it can be assumed that we’ll see her in the sector in the new winter season,” concluded Valentin Maslakov.

I wonder how bad things like this piss off Feofanova, Golubchikova and Polnova?
Last edited by BruceFlorman on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:09 pm

No translation on my part today. Straight from the IAAF site:
Diego Sampaolo wrote:Isinbayeva is set for World Indoor Championship campaign
Saturday 3 November 2007

Yelena Isinbayeva has officially confirmed in Milan on Thursday (1) that she is planning to compete in next March’s IAAF World Indoor Championships in Valencia where she will defend the title won on home soil in Moscow in 2006.

“I am planning to compete in the indoor season and of course in Valencia,” she said during the Award Ceremony of the 25th edition of the annual Sport, Movies and TV Festival, the international Festival dedicated to sport television and movies organised by the Fédération Internationale Cinéma Télévision Sportifs FICTS in Milan (27 October to 1 November).

Isinbayeva is the only Russian athlete who has been given an automatic spot in the team for Valencia without the need to compete at the national indoor championships in Moscow 8 – 10 February 2008. In all other events the top two athletes at the nationals will be named for the Valencia team.

The Russian pole vaulting star, who is the World, Olympic, and European champion, has won everything an athlete can dream but she is already focused on future challenges.

“I am totally focused on my Olympic title defence in Beijing next summer. Difficult hot and humid weather conditions will be similar to Osaka but it will be not a problem for me. My focus is on the goal to become Olympic champion for the second time in my career. The Olympic gold medal in Athens remains the best memory of my career together with the first 5 metres World record in London and the first World record of my career in Gateshead at 4.82.”

“I have the potential to jump higher than 5.01 next season”, said Isinbayeva who set the world seasonal best of 4.91 in the Paris Golden League meeting last July where she gave a new World record bid at 5.02m a good try.

Multiple World record holder, Isinbayeva added another prestigious award to her trophy cabinet with the Guirlande d’Honneur as Sport Personality of the Year during the Sport Movies and TV Festival Closing Ceremony held in the prestigiuos location of Palazzo Marino, seat of the Civic Administration in Milan.

“It’s a big pleasure for me to give the possibility to show my achievements during a film festival. I am happy that people are interested in me and follow me. It’s a pleasure to be the ambassador of my sport”, said Isinbayeva during the award ceremony.

Isinbayeva enjoyed a perfect season in 2007 which she won her second World outdoor title in Osaka and shared the Million Dollar IAAF Golden League Jackpot with another athletics ‘Golden Girl’ Sanya Richards. She crowned the long season by winning her fourth consecutive IAAF World Athletics Final in Stuttgart where she cleared a winning 4.87 to beat Monyka Pyrek in a jump-off. She remained unbeaten in all her seventeen appearances indoors and outdoors in 2007 which included a World indoor record of 4.93 (Donetsk, Ukraine, 10 Feb)

“I want to share the money won during the Golden League season with the poor children with problems and the talented kids of Volgograd through the Yelena Isinbayeva Charity Fund,” confirmed Isinbayeva in Milan.

Isinbayeva is entirely focused on future sport goals but she still finds time to devote herself to her passion for reading. “I like reading philosophy books and biographies to know something about the lives of important people,” concluded Isinbayeva.
Last edited by BruceFlorman on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:11 pm

Unless I read that wrong it should make them happy. Instead of two vaulters from Russia there will be three. Isi would claim a spot regardless so that would leave one other. This way the odds of making the team goes up for all of them especially Golubchikova and Polnova.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:43 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:The 25th edition of the International Sports Movies and Television Federation (FICTS) festival is taking place at Milan (Italy).

Those invited included the Russian Olympic pole vault champion, Yelena Isinbayeva; ...

The special guests at the “Award Ceremonyâ€Â
Last edited by BruceFlorman on Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:56 am

vaultman18 wrote:

Unless I read that wrong it should make them happy. Instead of two vaulters from Russia there will be three. Isi would claim a spot regardless so that would leave one other. This way the odds of making the team goes up for all of them especially Golubchikova and Polnova.

It's certainly possible that I'm the one misinterpreting things, but while Isi may have an automatic pass into Valencia without taking up one of the Russian team slots because she's the reigning indoor champ, I'm nearly positive that's not the case for Beijing. There's a maximum of three from any single country per event in the Olys, and the formula he's quoting above indicates Isi's name is already on one of those tickets, providing she doesn't completely fall apart between now and then.

I'm not saying the other gals realistically believe she wouldn't make the team if she had to compete at the Russian champs, but I expect they'll find some extra motivation in the fact that she's been given the free pass.

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:50 am

It's certainly possible that I'm the one misinterpreting things, but while Isi may have an automatic pass into Valencia without taking up one of the Russian team slots because she's the reigning indoor champ, I'm nearly positive that's not the case for Beijing. There's a maximum of three from any single country per event in the Olys, and the formula he's quoting above indicates Isi's name is already on one of those tickets, providing she doesn't completely fall apart between now and then.

I'm not saying the other gals realistically believe she wouldn't make the team if she had to compete at the Russian champs, but I expect they'll find some extra motivation in the fact that she's been given the free pass.

It sounds to me as though this is for Indoor WC's not the Olympics.

We will select the team for the world championships based on the results of the Russian championships in Moscow on 8-10 February. Strictly the two best in the individual events will make the team, along with the six strongest in the relays. The only exception to this selection formula will be made for Isinbaeva.

[quote]The formula "two plus one" makes it possible to accept the first two prize-winners from the Russian championships on the team, and one athlete based on the recommendation of the trainers’ council - in this case, the world champion.â€Â

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Toshiba ads hit the airwaves in Russia; but no beach for Isi

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:21 am

Yet more Isi-news from AllSport.ru ...
17:28 04.11.2007 - ATHLETICS
The television advertising campaign for Toshiba with Yelena Isinbaeva begins

Tomorrow, on November 5th, the central Russian television channels will begin using the new advertising spots for the Japanese company Toshiba, which produces office and household equipment, featuring the name and image of the famous Russian sportswoman, European, world and Olympic Games champion, and world record holder in the women’s pole vault, Yelena Isinbaeva. Yelena Isinbaeva described the details of her contract and her vacation to the Agency of Sport Information "All Sport".

“The initiative to sign the advertising contract originated, naturally, from Toshiba,” said Yelena Isinbaeva. “In the Japanese company they felt that I, as a sportswomen and person, correspond in the best way to their philosophy. I’ll be promoting their entire product line, including a super-fancy smart-phone, which isn’t on the market yet. My contract with Toshiba is signed for one year, through the end of the Olympic Games in Beijing, but with an option for extending it. The advertising company has already begun using my name and image in Russia. When I was in Moscow, I saw an enormous billboard with my photographs. And on November 5th the commercials will begin appearing on television. I’m very interested in seeing how they came out. We haven’t done any special photo- or video- sessions for the Toshiba advertisements; they’re only scheduled for the spring of 2008. So thus far the company is using shots from my competitions, which is completely in line with the advertising concept. They told me that I symbolize a person who takes on difficult challenges, who knows how to set record goals – and how to achieve them. But I don’t know exactly which of my jumps, from which competitions, were selected to illustrate this. It will be interesting to see!”

Yelena Isinbaeva also said that she spent her entire off season at home in Volgograd. “It didn’t work out to take a vacation trip to some warm country by the sea. But I’m not sorry! I spent almost the whole time with my four-month-old nephew Vanyechka, my sister’s son. He recognized me right away! I was astonished, but my sister said that he’d already seen my performances; for example, at the world championships in Osaka. He recognized, and was very happy, when he saw me! And I felt so many positive emotions, that I tried to be around him all the time. I was only pulled away for a day in Milan. On November 2nd, as a sportswoman who won all the competitions that I entered, I was awarded the "Personality of the Year" by the International Federation of Sports Cinema and Television. Cinema and television are completely unknown regions of activity for me, so it was all new and amazing. I was introduced to, and met with, some very interesting people, and watched some interesting films. Two were especially memorable – dedicated to the Olympic Games in Beijing and sport in the army,” recalled Yelena Isinbaeva.
Last edited by BruceFlorman on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Isi promotes Weltklasse in Moscow

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:58 am

Oh no! This is from the IAAF website. If Natalia is translating her own articles, where will that leave me?!? :)

Seriously, I found a short article about this on Allsport.ru last evening that corresponds almost word-for-word with the first section of this article. I started a translation, but was too tired to finish it last night. Now I'm glad I hadn't gotten too far on it.

Isinbayeva renews Golden League partnership with Zürich
Friday 9 November 2007

Golden League Jackpot winner Yelena Isinbayeva made her last public appearance before returning to training in Monte-Carlo at the Swiss Embassy in Moscow yesterday.

The evening at the Embassy was devoted to the seven cultural and sports attractions united in the organization “Top Events of Switzerland”: White Turf in Saint Moritz, Art Basel, Montreaux Jazz Festival, Locarno International Film Festival, Lucerne Festival Summer, Omega European Masters Golf Tournament in Crant Montana and Weltklasse Zurich Golden League athletics meeting. Obviously, Isinbayeva was invited to promote the latter.

Missing training and competition
The Swiss organizers prepared a surprise for Isinbayeva and handed her the original bib numbers she jumped with in Zürich last September. Even if it reminded her of one of her most difficult wins last season Isinbayeva was far from upset.

“I am already missing my trainings and competitions. The event in Zürich is one of the best on the calendar. First of all, because of the new stadium that was full and gave me huge support. I also like the idea to hold both men and women Pole Vault at the same time together. This makes it more interesting for both athletes and public”.

“What else can I say?” Isinbayeva flirted. “One of my best memories about Zürich is… the perfect catering! It was very important for athletes that everyone could find something according to the individual diet – there was plenty of fruits and many other dishes.”

“Although the women Pole Vault is not included in the Golden League programme next season I have already got the invitation to jump in Zürich and accepted it,” she confirmed.

Isinbayeva - linking Russia and Switzerland

The President of the Swiss Confederation Micheline Calmy-Rey arrived in Moscow with the official working visit. Today, 9 November, she is to meet the president of the Russian Federation Vladimir Putin and the Minister for Foreign Affairs Sergey Lavrov. As a true athlete Isinbayeva was again the first and met Mrs President before the Russian politicians.

Having made the official greeting speech at the Embassy, Micheline Calmy-Rey proceded to the presentation stands of the Top Events of Switzerland. She stopped before the Weltklasse one, looked at the huge poster with Isinbayeva performing her jump, at Yelena alive near by – wearing elegant clothes, with a new hair style, and exclaimed.

“Is it really you?! Both here and there – one and the same person?!“ After the small photo session Mrs President explained.

“It was the first time for me to see Yelena and I am very happy to meet her. Sport is an important part of the cooperation between Russia and Switzerland. We are always pleased to see in our country Russian athletes and fans.” Yelena was shining with happiness. “Meeting the President of the Swiss Confederation is indeed a very special moment in my life.”

More focus and more records in 2008?

Speaking about Isinbayeva one always bears in mind the World record. She had a full month to analyze her season, and for the first time confirmed.

“I perfectly understand and feel that I need more progress. One World record for the season, and especially indoor, this is for sure not enough for me. From now on I will be even more serious about my trainings and competitions. Such evenings like this are OK for my vacation, but I am afraid when I start training I won’t be able to afford anything like that.”

Isinbayeva’s vacation ends on 12 November. The main plans are settled – the weeks of trainings in Formio, her favourite competition the Zepter Pole Vault Stars in Donetsk on 16 February and the World Indoor Championships on 7-9 March.

However Isinbayeva resumed training even before she was actually obliged to. “I was a little bit bored of being on holiday and gave a call to my coach Vitaly Petrov. He advised me some exercises to make my come back to the training rhythm easier. So already for three days I have been doing 30 minutes jogging and working at the gym. The first two days my muscles awfully hurt but the visit to the swimming pool made me feel much better.”

Always a public personality, Isinbayeva had perfect rest being away from all media in her native town of Volgograd. Even the initially planned trip to the seaside was cancelled – so much Yelena wished to stay with her family, friends, and especially with four-months-old nephew Vanyechka.

Isinbayeva can already master all the skills needed for the perfect mom. “I can feed, nurse and make the child calm. We went with Vanyechka for long walks, and he often fell asleep in my arms. He even kissed me on the cheek!”

But right now the first point in Isinbayeva’s main agenda is Beijing 2008. “Of course some day I want and plan to have my own children. But at least till the Olympics 2008 my fans may stay calm about it. And afterwards – who may know. I rely on God’s will.”

Natalia Maryanchik http://www.allsport.ru for the IAAF

Uh oh. This is the first solid hint I've heard that she might not continue jumping straight through the Moscow WC in 2013! :eek: ;)

There are a couple of new photos on the IAAF site along with the article too if you're interested.
Last edited by BruceFlorman on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:04 am

This is largely the same material that Ms. Maryanchik used for her iaaf.org article, but it was posted on Allsport.ru yesterday morning in the form of a straight interview, and there are a few things that didn't make it into the other article.

Natalia Maryanchik wrote:08:44 11.11.2007 - Light Athletics
Yelena Isinbaeva: I’ll start to think about the Olympiad this Spring, but now it’s still too early to get wound up

Tomorrow, on November 12th, the European, world and Olympic Games champion, and world record holder in the women’s pole vault, Yelena Isinbaeva will begin preparation for the upcoming Olympic season in Monte Carlo. Before this Yelena Isinbaeva described her plans to an editor from the Agency of Sport Information "All Sport", Natalia Maryanchik.

- Lena, your vacation is over. Were you able to get well rested?
- I spent almost the whole time at home, in Volgograd. I finally saw my nephew Vanyechka, who is already four months old. I held him, played with him, and he recognized me and didn’t cry. I also went to Milan to receive the "Person of the Year" award from the International Federation of Sport Cinema and Television. This too was a very nice honor.

- Why did you change your original plans to go to some warm seaside?
- I decided that it was better to stay at home, since I’m so seldom with my family. Moreover I wanted to spend more time with my little nephew. But in the circle of my family and friends I rested quite well.

- Caring for children is no problem for you now?
- Yes, I know how to feed and hold them. Vanyechka falls asleep in my arms, and we go for a lot of walks. He even kisses me on the cheek! Certainly, someday I plan to have my own children, I just don’t know when. But at least until Beijing my fans can stay calm. And after that – God only knows.

- How do you like your new hair-do?
- It’s marvelous. Long hair is not at all bad for me. True, so far I haven’t tried to see how my hair will work with my jumping. But in any event, I’ll work out something.

- Did you miss jumping during your vacation?
- I missed the training. I already began working out five days ago. To resume working was completely my own initiative. I rang up my trainer, Vitaly Afanasevich Petrov, and complained: “Somehow I’m tired of resting. Please tell me what I can do to make getting back into my training routine easier.” He advised me, and two days I ran cross-country together with my cousin Olya for something like 30 minutes, and did a little exercise. My cousin’s not a sportswoman, but she also likes to run. Afterward my muscles were quite sore, but on the third day I had a swim in the pool, and everything passed. On the whole, I can’t wait to start training in earnest!

- You already announced that you’ll participate in the winter world championships. How seriously do you view this start?
- I always assumed that I’d come out for the winter world championships. For us vaulters, it’s not important if it’s the winter world championships or the summer – the group of participants is always about the same. Even in the commercial starts the same people participate. So every tournament is practically the same as the final in the world or European championships. Therefore all official starts are important for me, especially those where I represent not only myself, but also the Russian team.

- Were you surprised to be released from participation in the winter national championships?
- Yes, and I’m quite pleased. I learned that I can compete at the winter world championships without selection from the Internet. This is great, and many thanks to the people who made the decision. In general I thought the federation would look at how I perform in the first two tournaments, and then decide to free me or not. But now I’ll be able to specifically get ready for the primary start.

- Judging by everything, you’ll also be freed from selection at the summer national championships for the Olympic Games in Beijing. Generally is there any chance we’ll see you sometime at the national championships?
- I want to compete, but not at the qualification championships of Russia precisely, but simply at the national championships. Maybe I’ll appear in the next one, after the Olympic year. It’s very important for the popularization of our sport that the Russian fans get used to seeing their stars – for this it’s worthwhile to appear at the national championships. By the way, this is precisely why I competed in the “Russian Challenge” this past year. These are very good and interesting competitions. God willing, these will continue to develop at the same tempo so that all the world stars will visit us.

- Is your winter competition schedule already laid out?
- Certainly I’ll appear at the world championships and at the “Pole Vault Stars” tournament in Donetsk. What’ll be after Donetsk and before Valencia, I don’t know yet. When I get to Monaco I’ll discuss everything with my trainer and manager.

- You’re probably already quite tired of questions about world records. But nevertheless, can we expect something special this winter?
- Certainly, I plan to set a record. In this preparatory period I’ll devote myself yet more seriously; approach my training and competitions even more critically. In principle, I understand perfectly well, and agree, that I’ve “sat too long”. One world record in the past season, indoor in this case – for me this is clearly insufficient.

- Have you analyzed what was lacking for a record this summer?
- It’s difficult to say. Probably still the mastering of my technique. It still lacks the ideal polish that’s necessary. In extreme situations I go wrong somewhere. Therefore we’ll work even more on my technique; strive for the ideal in all the fine details. In principle, everything is ready for a record, but always some little thing is lacking, some nuance. Everything is there in my jumps; it only remains to bring them to perfection.

- You’ve actually already begun preparing for the Olympic season. Do you feel additional responsibility?
- Not yet. Probably I’ll begin feeling it sometime in the spring or early summer. So far it’s not even winter, and I mostly try not to think about the Olympiad. It’s still too early to get wound up.

Edited to restore the text lost due to the old server's improper handling of non-ANSI text.
Last edited by BruceFlorman on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Winter season still being fleshed out.

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:59 pm

18:00 25.11.2007 – Light Athletics
Yelena Isinbaeva: I’ll start vaulting in December and my first start will be on February 10th in Donetsk
The European, World and Olympic Games champion, holder of 20 world records, Yelena Isinbaeva, who began preparation for the winter season on November 12th, has so far been occupied with general physical preparation and not pole vaulting. Yelena Isinbaeva herself reported about this to a special correspondent of the Agency of Sport Information "All Sport" in Monaco, where the World Athletics Gala will take place today.

“The first training sessions were pretty difficult for me,” recounted Yelena Isinbaeva. “I just died. Every muscle, every particle of my body ached... But now, when two weeks have already passed, it has become somewhat easier. It’s great that it’s warm and sunny in Monaco where I live, and in Italy where I train – not like at home in Volgograd (laughing). So far my coach, Vitaliy Afanasevich Petrov and I have dealt with general physical conditioning, jumping and running exercises – basically carrying out our standard training routine. I think I’ll start pole vaulting in December. I’m quite optimistic and feel more confident in myself than during the prior off-season. Overall, it hasn’t been so simple adapting to the profound changes as I’ve made in my life since the Olympiad in Athens. But now the results of my training tests are higher than a year ago at this time. I’ll make my first start on February 10th in Donetsk at the "Pole Vault Stars", and afterwards - on February 14th in Bydgoszcz, Poland. My managers and I haven’t yet decided where I’ll jump between Poland and the World Championships, which will take place from March 7th to 9th in Valencia. The summer season went wonderfully for me; I didn’t lose a single start. But now I want to take a step forward. And what would be a step forward for me? A world record, of course! I hope to be able to beat it this winter.”
Last edited by BruceFlorman on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:41 am, edited 5 times in total.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Isi slams Gay and Powell!

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:42 pm

Ho ho! Isi slams Gay and Powell!
22:28 25.11.2007 – Light Athletics
Yelena Isinbaeva: for myself – I’m always the best!
Today, on November 25th, on the grand evening of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) World Athletics Gala in Monaco, the Croatian high jumper, 2007 world champion Blanca Vlasic became laureate of the "Performance of the Year" category, outdistancing Russia’s Yelena Isinbaeva and Janeth Jepkosgei of Kenya in the fight for the prize. An analogous award for men was given to the world record holder in the 100 meters, Jamaica’s Asafa Powell, who beat Zersenay Tadese (Eritrea) and Jeremy Wariner (USA). Yelena Isinbaeva commented on the results of the voting to a special correspondent of the Agency of Sport Information "All Sport" in Monaco.

“Honestly speaking, I didn’t much follow who was nominated and for what category,” said Yelena Isinbaeva. “Speaking for myself, I’m always the best (laughing)! And generally, it seems to me that it’s awfully difficult to compare the performances of athletes in such different events. For example, the heptathlete Carolina Klüft had only a couple of starts for the season, but we vaulters compete with each other almost every week. How is it possible to draw parallels here? Or, say, I really don’t understand why Asafa Powell and Tyson Gay don’t want to face each other. We must think how to make athletics more popular, and for this the leaders must regularly appear on the same track. But in any case, I really love the Gala! To see everyone with whom you go to the tournaments all year, looking beautiful, well dressed, in civilized clothing – this is simply super!”

Edited to restore the text lost due to the old server's improper handling of non-ANSI text.
Last edited by BruceFlorman on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”