US Pole Vault Circuit

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

tony
PV Beginner

Unread postby tony » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:04 am

Then let's set the date and raise the purse so we can get the best people there. And isn't pass your bed time you need to get more sleep. ;)

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:45 pm

Would it be a bad idea to piggyback vaulting exhibitions with another sport? Such as a beach vault with a beach volleyball tournament. Instead of a full-on vault circuit to start, maybe begin with a beach circuit. East coast and/or west coast. Both are somewhat in the background of the major sports, and both involve people who are generally in phenomenal shape. Maybe an incorporation will get a larger crowd involved and spark some interest from the spectators of the other sport?

Benefits:
Building a larger fan base for both.
Lager exhibition means more vendors/ad space area.
Common setting in a relaxed atmosphere would get people going.
Larger crowds = more energy = higher bars = larger crowds.
We get to look at beach volleyball players. (Haha)

Just a thought.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:03 pm

I think it is a good idea for any summer vaulting meet to be part of a larger event. For example:

Tacoma Freedom Fair Vault - Part of the city of Tacoma's HUGE 4th of July celebration
Alki Swashbuckler Vault - Part of the Seafair Pirates landing (not that anyone outside Seattle would get it, but it's a big deal)
Clovis - Part of farmers market
Indy - Part of the Indy State Fair
Fishers - Part of some Fishers festival
Hot Springs - Part of some festival in Hot Springs
etc

I don't think it's so important that it be part of another sporting event, just part of any event that draws people.

tony
PV Beginner

Unread postby tony » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:29 pm

My thought is it is best to tie the event to an already existing crowd. Going to a public fair people wander around looking at the sights. Why not come see the pole vault up close because the only other place I can see it is in a stadium 300 ft from the action.

If you have an event that you think would be a good fit please pass it on to me. What I am looking for is a way to establish a main event for the street meet that keep our best home and challenges the world to show up.

This is a business opportunity and need to be approched as one. I trully believe that we have to get the current star and build the future ones but it will take a consistent process, that is single-minded and stubborn.

Can I get an Amen?

Vault Chick
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Bedtime

Unread postby Vault Chick » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:02 am

tony wrote:Then let's set the date and raise the purse so we can get the best people there. And isn't pass your bed time you need to get more sleep. ;)

Yeah, it was past my bedtime, but its the last week of school before break, so I've been staying up late working on homework! Oh well, I'll relax when I leave on my cruise to Mexico in a little less than two weeks!
PR: 10'8" (so far!)
Chico State Track + Field!

tony
PV Beginner

Unread postby tony » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:22 am

I am moving on with the notion of a street vault circuit. I have contacted a production company that seem very interested and they have direct contact with ESPN. We are also working with a few other companies to produce the film/video for broadcast. What I really need is events that you may have already done to move forward. Any events from anyone?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:02 am

tony wrote:I am moving on with the notion of a street vault circuit. I have contacted a production company that seem very interested and they have direct contact with ESPN. We are also working with a few other companies to produce the film/video for broadcast. What I really need is events that you may have already done to move forward. Any events from anyone?

Whole list of them here: http://www.polevaultpower.com/streetvault/

Come up to Seattle next year. The Tacoma Beach vault will be July 4th and the Alki Beach Vault will be July 5th. I think the Trials are on the 3rd, so some of us that are crazy might be a little tired, but both events will be awesome.

tony
PV Beginner

Unread postby tony » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:32 am

Ok I am game how can I help you

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:32 pm

If the vault is like previous trials, the vault will be Friday (4th) and Sunday (6th) that weekend. In the past two trials, one sex went the first weekend and the other the second weekend. It's a different schedule than nationals.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:45 pm

vaultmd wrote:If the vault is like previous trials, the vault will be Friday (4th) and Sunday (6th) that weekend. In the past two trials, one sex went the first weekend and the other the second weekend. It's a different schedule than nationals.

http://www.usatf.org/events/2008/Olympi ... hedule.asp

MPV qualifying is Friday June 27, finals Sunday June 29
WPV qualifying is Thursday July 3, finals Sunday July 6

I was thinking it was all done before our beach vaullts. It's all still doable, it's just probably going to be a really long weekend for me and Pat.

baggettpv
PV Master

Vault Comps.....a business

Unread postby baggettpv » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:13 am

After 14 years of running the Tacoma and Alki Beach Vault comps. I turned them over to Pat Licari and Becca Gillespie. They both were profitable and well worth doing.The only reason I gave them up was because they were 180 miles from my home.
The organizer of the Tacoma Freedom Fair once said we were the "Hottest Game in town"! The HiYu Festival boss (Alki Beach) LOVED having us there! The key is to go where the people are. During the years we developed a following of people that came out to these festivals just to watch the kids jump. That has something to say about the events. I am currently in the process of creating another event at an amusement park here in Portland to followup the dates of the previous 2. You just need some vision and determination.
If anyone needs info on starting, running, financing, scheduling etc just email me at baggettpv@aol.com

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC
Good coaching is good teaching.

tony
PV Beginner

Unread postby tony » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:18 am

I am truly ready to take all of this on.

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”