Isi updates ...

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Petrov's optimistic quotes

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:14 am

An AFP article:
'Isinbayeva targets more world records'

Russia's record-breaking pole vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva is ready to set new world records this season, her coach Vitaly Petrov told the press on Wednesday.

"Yelena successfully completed her main goal in the first half of the season, winning all the three stages of the Golden League," said Petrov, former coach of pole vaulting legend Sergei Bubka.

Isinbayeva holds the world record of 5.01 metres, which she set on August 12, 2005, in Helsinki, Finland and Petrov reported: "This season she is prepared for the competitions much better than in the previous one."

He added: "I believe that she will set the new record in the near future. It may happen in August at the athletic meetings in London or Moscow.

"And we are planning to break world records regularly in the next season, the Olympic season."

However, he cast doubt on the possibility of establishing a new record at the world championships in Osaka in September.

"There are very difficult conditions for pole vaults at Osaka stadium," he said.

"The weather in August there is often hot and very humid. And the wind changes direction there frequently."

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

More trash talk from Petrov!

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:45 am

17:41 18.07.2007 – Light athletics
Vitaly Petrov: Isinbaeva has no real rivals

For the Olympic, World and European champion and world record holder in the women’s pole vault, Yelena Isinbaeva, it’s not worth worrying about real competition from her rivals in the near future – either from the holder of the second best result in the world this season 4.88 m, the American Jennifer Stuczynski, or from the silver medalist of the 2004 Olympiad in Athens, her compatriot Svetlana Feofanova. Isinbaeva’s personal trainer, the mentor of the legendary Sergey Bubka, Vitaly Petrov expressed this opinion to the agency of sport information “All Sport”.

“In general, I’ve known of all our competitors for a long time,” stated Vitaly Petrov. “This is not Jennifer Stuczynski’s first year in the world arena, but this season she has added 15 cm to her personal record. For me it’s obvious that much more can’t be expected from her in the present year. Well, someone will jump, let’s say, 4.70 or 4.80 meters – but nevertheless, this is too little to compete with Lena. Yes, Lena’s old rival Svetlana Feofanova looks good. But think: how much can she improve upon her current results? Well, even 10-15 cm, would put her jump somewhere around 4.80-4.85, but what would this change?! Lena has sufficient time before the Olympic Games in Beijing to further raise the level of her jumps. If this season we, for the most part, lay the foundation, next year I want to attain stability. That is, stability at the level of the world record.”

I dunno if Suhr and Jennski are hearing about these things or not, but I’d think they’d make good “bulletin board” material to get her fired up. Of course Isi says she wants some real competition, so maybe this is part of the plan. Hopefully Jenn’s back is better and she’ll be able to jump on Saturday in Madrid, although Isi won’t be there. The blurb on the SuhrSports website isn’t real specific, just saying “Stuczynski is expected to be back soon for the rest of her European tour.”

Edited to restore the text lost due to the old server's improper handling of non-ANSI text.
Last edited by BruceFlorman on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:01 am

An article from Reuters today (though nothing really new here):
Gennady Fyodorov wrote:Isinbayeva bemoans lack of strong rivals
Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:07PM EDT
By Gennady Fyodorov

MOSCOW (Reuters) - The old adage states that it can be lonely at the top. For Olympic pole vault champion and world record holder Yelena Isinbayeva it is also a little dull.

The 25-year-old Russian has bemoaned a lack of serious competition in her event, saying she needs a stronger challenge to enable her to realize her full potential.

"It's tough to break records on your own," she told Reuters in an interview from the Italian town of Formia, where she does most of her training.

"Just like in any other sport you need serious rivals who would push you to greater heights."

She has been virtually unbeatable for the past three years, winning every major title on offer and drawing comparisons with the great Ukrainian men's pole vaulter Sergei Bubka.

Isinbayeva has long stated her desire to surpass his world record tally of 35.

She became the first woman to break the five-meter barrier in July 2005 before vaulting 5.01 at the world championships in Helsinki the following month.

Just over a year ago the bubbly Russian was well on track to break Bubka's mark as she set 20 world records, indoor and outdoor, in just two full seasons.

But she has struggled to maintain her record-breaking pace after dumping her long-time coach Yevgeny Trofimov at the end of 2005. She set just two indoor marks since her well-publicized move abroad to join Bubka's former coach Vitaly Petrov.

TOUGHER STANDARDS

"Of course, I'm a bit disappointed that I haven't been able to break records more often," said Monaco-based Isinbayeva.

"But like I said before, it's tough to break records when all the other competitors have long finished their attempts."

Isinbayeva also berated meet organizers for not setting tougher standards for all the competitors.

"Most girls set their initial height at around 3.70-3.80 meters. I wish they would all start with at least 4.30-4.40, so that I wouldn't have to wait for some three hours before taking my first attempts," she said.

"It's tough to just sit around not knowing when you should start your warm-up because you don't know how long it's going to take other girls to move the bar up to serious heights."

Isinbayeva said she is often forced to copy Bubka's tactics by using just three attempts in the entire competition.

"You make one vault just to warm-up, then wait for all the others to finish before making your next attempt. Usually it's the winning one for me. If everything goes well, then you try to break a record on your third attempt," she explained. "Of course, it's not always possible because of long waits between jumps."

Despite her recent shortcomings, Isinbayeva has no regrets about joining Petrov.

"Actually I feel that I've improved since I changed coaches. I've improved my technique and got stronger as well," she said.

"I'm not the young, naive girl that I was when I just started my career. I can make my own decisions now. I know what I need and what is good for me."

TRUE POTENTIAL

Petrov said his new pupil has plenty in reserve.

"I'm convinced that she has only scratched the surface of her true potential," the coach said.

"She is already using much stronger poles that only men could use and it gives her a lot of room for improvement. With proper training she could go as high as 5.10-5.15 or even 5.20."

Isinbayeva said she needed to set new goals for herself.

"This year I'm concentrating on the world championships (in Osaka) and also would like to win the jackpot," she said in reference to the $1 million prize for winning all six Golden League meetings this season.

"I won three of them (Oslo, Paris and Rome) so far, three more to go. Winning the $1 million bonus is always nice but money is not the main reason I'm competing," she said. "I make enough money now and can afford almost anything I want."

The Volgograd native, who won the prestigious Laureus award as the world's best female athlete last year and was voted the 2005 Athlete of the Year by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), confirmed her desire to compete at least through to the 2012 Olympics in London.

"I've set myself some lofty targets for the next few years," she said, hinting that she would love to follow Bubka's path and take a role in public life after her athletics career was over.

"He is a big boss now, serves on the executive board of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and he is also a great role model for me," said Isinbayeva, who was recently nominated for the IAAF athletes commission.

"Working for the IOC would be very interesting in the future, especially as they are now looking for more prominent women to join the Olympic movement," she added. "As I've said, I always need a challenge to push myself to new heights."

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Isi will train in Japan for Osaka

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:26 pm

A short blurb from Petrov on the Спорт-Экспресс website (on Monday):
Isinbaeva will prepare separately from the team

Olympic pole vault champion Yelena Isinbaeva’s final preparation for the world championships in Osaka Japan will be conducted separately from the Russian team, reports the sportswoman’s trainer Vitaliy Petrov. Let us recall that the world championships start on 25 August, and before the championships Isinbaeva has two more tournaments ahead – in London and Moscow.

“The Russian team will prepare for the world championships in Vladivostok,” noted Petrov, “but Lena and I decided to train directly in Japan. True, so far we’ve yet to determine in exactly which city. Now her managers are working on this. We’ve trained intensely for the past twenty days, correcting the defects that showed up in the course of the previous tournaments. I’m satisfied with Lena’s current form – it’s all worked out. And the tournaments in London and Moscow will give to us an opportunity to get a little more competitive practice before the world championships. This will be the primary start of the season, in which we have no margin for error, so it’s necessary to prepare for it in the best possible way.”
Last edited by BruceFlorman on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roger/over
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; University Coach; Masters Vaulter; PV Stats
Lifetime Best: 4.60 at 44
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

How much might a world record COST Isinbayeva?

Unread postby roger/over » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:48 pm

On July 18, Bruce quoted Vitaly Petrov as saying that Isinbayeva is targeting more world records, but that . . . "he cast doubt on the possibility of establishing a world record at the world championships In Osaka in September. 'There are very difficult conditions for pole vault at Osaka stadium' . . ."

I'm wondering whether the rewards for setting world records at any or all of her remaining meets this season would be worth the risk of losing her share of the Golden League Jackpot, in the event of any injury during the world record attempt.

As the Jackpot now stands, only three athletes remain in contention for a share of the $1,000,000. These are Isinbayeva in the vault, Sanya Richards in the 400m and Michelle Perry in the 100m. If any of the three wins the remaining Golden League meets in Zurich, Brussels, and Berlin, and continues on to compete at the World Athletic Final in Stuttgart on 22-23 September, she is assured of at least a $333,333 share of the Jackpot, up to as much as the entire million, depending on how the other two fare.

Wouldn't the risk of losing that discourage Isinbayeva from any unnecessary additional vaults for the remainder of the season? How much is the IAAF paying at this time for a new world record? And does Isi have sponsorship contracts that would affect the balance between world record and jackpot pay-offs?

Anyone have answers? Bruce?

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Re: How much might a world record COST Isinbayeva?

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:33 pm

roger/over wrote:Wouldn't the risk of losing that discourage Isinbayeva from any unnecessary additional vaults for the remainder of the season? How much is the IAAF paying at this time for a new world record? And does Isi have sponsorship contracts that would affect the balance between world record and jackpot pay-offs?

Anyone have answers? Bruce?

The WR bonus in Osaka is $100K again, just like it was in Helsinki (link). It's certainly possible that Adidas also has incentives in her contract - although since Nike outfits the Russian team, only her shoes will carry the Adidas logo in Osaka, so they might not be quite so keen on her setting a record there. But whatever the arrangment, if any, I'm pretty sure it isn't public knowledge.

On the other hand, is the risk of injury really significantly higher when making a record attempt than any other time? I'd think that adopting an overly cautious mind-set would pose greater peril to her jackpot drive than just going out and competing like she always has.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: How much might a world record COST Isinbayeva?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:30 am

BruceFlorman wrote:On the other hand, is the risk of injury really significantly higher when making a record attempt than any other time? I'd think that adopting an overly cautious mind-set would pose greater peril to her jackpot drive than just going out and competing like she always has.

Well, it's the difference of whether or not she really goes after a WR jump after she wins. I don't know if the risk is any greater than any other jump, but taking 3 more jumps in a competition makes it that much higher.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Isinterview from Moscow following the "Russian Challeng

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:24 am

It’s been awhile since we got a full blown Isinterview™. I’d been expecting something after her Moscow gig, and I guess this was posted Tuesday on the Время Новостий (Time News) website, but I didn’t find out about it until this afternoon.
Olga Yermolina wrote:07.08.2007
Yelena ISINBAYEVA: I’ve changed my attitude toward Russia

Less than three weeks remain until the world championships of light athletics, which will take place in the Japanese city of Osaka. For the representatives of the “queen of sports” the season so far has de facto preparation for the bi-annual main start, since the world championships are not conducted every year. On the threshold of these most important competitions, Olympic champion, world record-holder and champion in the women’s pole, vault Yelena ISINBAYEVA answered questions for “Vremya Novostiy” correspondent Olga YERMOLINA.

- Yelena, earlier you said that you will not attend the final team gathering in Vladivostok prior to the world championships. You’ve not changed this decision?

- No, I’ll be getting ready for the world championships right in Japan along with the Swedish team. Early this week I’ll fly out of Moscow myself to the base in Italy, in Formia. I’ll spend a few days there collecting my things, and on 14 August I leave for Osaka.

- Why with the Swedish team?

- Because my manager is Swedish, and it was decided beforehand that in Japan we’ll prepare with the Swedish athletes.

- Will your preparation in Japan before the world championships differ from your training in Europe?

- There won’t be any corrective or fundamental changes. There’s no sense changing anything at this stage. The only reason my trainer and I are leaving for Japan ten days early is to get acclimated to the conditions under which we must compete. We need to be to ready for the fact that the problems with the poles can come up due to the humidity. Your hands need to be dry indeed. It’s necessary to adjust, and think over some things before this moment. Past practice shows a couple weeks of acclimatization are completely sufficient for me.

- Nevertheless, judging by the recent world championships of skiing in Sapporo, for some Russian athletes, and probably Europeans too, it’s rather difficult to compete in Japan, since they told of problems with getting acclimated. How do you feel in Japan yourself?

- I’ve competed in Japan during September. Now we’ll have to compete during August. But they say that even this insignificant time difference is sufficient to perceive. We’ve been warned that the weather will be awful - high humidity, almost 90%, fog, in other words, horrible.

- In your view, what result will be sufficient to win the women’s pole vault at the world championships in Osaka?

- This is unpredictable. As I already said, a lot will depend on the weather, on the wind, and on the physical state of athletes.

- Can you say that your introductory period, the period of adaptation to your trainer Vitaliy Petrov is finished?

- Yes. The preparatory work is done, and now I simply have to polish my technique.

- How do you evaluate your results as a whole this season?

- About average. In Moscow, at the “Russian Challenge”, it didn’t work out for me because of my physical health. But in London, for example, I jumped well in spite of my internal state. Now I can only make improvements, because there’s nothing left to alter.

- In comparison with the results of your training two years ago, do you see specific progress, expressible in numbers?

- We don’t have any special tests, and we don’t even work with measurements, for example, of takeoff speed or things of this sort.

- What are your usual training heights?

- 470, 480.

- Do you still consider that your main rival in Osaka will be you yourself, or do you have one of your rivals in your field of sight?

- No, I myself and the bar.

- How many poles will you take with you to Osaka?

- As usual, the battle set – seven or eight poles. There’s no favorite. I like them all. And I don’t name them, even in my mind, so far. When I go crazy, then maybe I’ll give them names.

- Did you consider the “Russian Challenge” tournament in Moscow a significant appearance or a preparatory stage for the world championships?

- For me these are serious competitions. And their seriousness consists, first of all, in that competing before the Russian spectators is a great responsibility for me. By the way, it’s true that this year the format of the tournament was changed. Instead of a Russia-USA dual meet, they invited strong athletes from other countries. I think that such duels in several disciplines were much more interesting to both the spectators and the athletes. The fans got a chance to observe their favorite athletes. There was not such chaos as in recent years.

- Did it bother you that there were so few spectators in the stands yet again?

- Certainly if it was in another country, then expecting this quantity of spectators, I wouldn’t go. But Russia – this is mine, they expect me here, love me, and I want to jump here, and I jump with love. I’ve changed my attitude toward Russia. Earlier, when I saw empty grandstands in “Luzhniki” I lost all enthusiasm. But now, even if there are just three spectators, I still jump with pleasure. Training in Italy, I’ve missed the contact, native language, people, friends... How when you come to the stadium they shout: “Lena, you’re the best, we love you.” From such words my emotions immediately begin to go off the scale, and I want to seize the pole and charge forward.

- At such moments do you begin wishing to return home and train here?

- No. Formia has an outstanding base and conditions. I train twice a day. It’s a small city. There are no special diversions. Just right to plough and train. Being there, I often remind myself of a beast sitting in a cage. Yes, my current life is a cage in some sense, but the cage is voluntary.

- Does it warm your heart that the Italian journalists call Isinbaeva their own?

- You know, it seems to me that in the conversations about this there is a certain exaggeration. Yes, Italian journalists even in the newspapers called me Italian. I don’t particularly enjoy it. I don’t want to be Italian. I prefer to remain a Russian woman. I don’t want to say that this offends me, but it also doesn’t make me happy. Of course it’s pleasant that they consider me one of theirs in Italy, but I want to be theirs in Russia.

- Can you explain why the popularity of light athletics in Europe is more than in Russia?

- It seems to me that we speak too little about this form of sport. Light athletics is not as well promoted as tennis, football, or other forms. We haven’t explained what light athletics is. There aren’t educational programs in the schools. But this is necessary, because when the folks in the street come to the stadium where there is running, jumping, throwing, then their unenlightened eyes don’t know what to look at. People visually follow the events without taking in the detail; therefore they often can’t appreciate the proceeding. How, for example, people high jump 2 m 30 cm or run the 100 m in 10 seconds. We need to do more to popularize our form in Russia. To build stadiums. But these questions should be addressed to the management of our sport. The athletes’ task is to perform.

- How do you plan to spend your few days in Moscow?

- Go to restaurants, discotheques... Certainly not. Meet with friends, stroll around the city. I need to get tuned up for the championships. It’s still too early to think about leisure.

Edited to restore the text lost due to the old server's improper handling of non-ANSI text.
Last edited by BruceFlorman on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:10 pm

This interview was posted on AllSport.ru Thursday evening, but I didn't have time to do a full out translation of it until today.
Natalya Maryanchik wrote:13:55 07.09.2007 - Light Athletics - Fourth stage Golden League of light athletics-2007
Yelena Isinbaeva: "If the season ends without a world record, I’ll be upset, but it won’t be a tragedy for me"

Russia’s Yelena Isinbaeva arrived with a new status at the fourth stage of the prestigious light-athletics "Golden League" series, which will take place today, 7 September, in Zurich. If we don’t consider world records, the champion of the Olympic Games, the world and Europe in the women’s pole vault became "two-fold" for the first time – the two-fold world champion. In Osaka she added titles, but in other respects for Isinbaeva everything is as before - press conferences, and tournaments, tournaments, tournaments... The second-half of the "Golden League" is beginning, and if she wins the following three stages, she will win the one million dollar jackpot. Yelena Isinbaeva shared her plans and expectations with Natalya Maryanchik, the special correspondent for the Agency of sport information "All Sport" in Zurich.

- Lena, have you already had time to recover after sweltering Osaka?
- Yes, I’m completely acclimatized. I flew away from the world championships right after the completion of the final, on 30 August. It’s even hard for me to say whether I’m more comfortable here, when it’s quite cool on the street, or in Osaka. On the day of final there the weather was just ideal – the sun didn’t interfere and wind was at our backs.

- What sort of reception did they arrange for you at the base in Formia?
- None at all! When we flew in, the base was practically empty, and I immediately resumed my training. I don’t have a regular training group. From time to time foreign athletes come to Vitaliy Afanasevich Petrov for consultation, but as a rule they don’t stay with us for very long - three weeks to a month at most. I enjoy this regime, as there’s no monotony and it’s interesting to train with different vaulters.

- In Zurich you'll compete in parallel with the men. They won’t interfere with you?
- No, when we and the men are together in the sector, this is always additional motivation. In comparison to their results, the heights which I overcome seem so low. I’ve already had similar experiences both at Sergey Bubka’s tournament in Donetsk and at a summer start in Germany. It seems to me that when competitions go in parallel, the results in both come out much higher. We can help and give suggestions to each other.

- Do you think the men will prompt you on how to jump?
- I learn from them, they learn from me. Here everything is mutual. Many experts call my technique masculine, so probably the men can spy something useful in my jumps. We rarely intersect at the competitions; therefore I haven’t formed close friendships with any of the male vaulters. But a month ago, right here in Zurich, Tim Lobinger and I gave a joint press conference, and we got along rather well.

- Do you know that the Swiss bookmakers refused to set odds on your winning in Zurich?
- Really? That’s too bad. I remember in 2004, at the Athenian Olympiad there was also a totalizator [pari-mutuel betting machine]. Then we had the duel with Svetlana Feofanova, and the odds for my victory started at 2:1, and for her - 4:1; as if the bookmakers knew that I would win! But seriously, anything can happen in the sector, of course. No one can know anything for certain.

- But do you feel psychological pressure?
- Not at all, I’m already used to it. Little things rather irritate me. For example, when it’s necessary to wait several hours to jump. But this is probably the only thing that actually bothers me. In other respects I’m calm and relaxed.

- How do you like the new stadium in Zurich, whose unveiling takes place today?
- In my opinion it’s simply remarkable. When I was here a month ago at the press conference, we drove to have a look at the stadium, which was still under construction. I know the sector is supposed to have a fundamentally new surface. It won’t allow the foot to twist sideways when you push off, thus the force will go directly upward, and hence the jump will also be higher. So I expect outstanding results from myself and from all the girls.

- This super-surface it seems was created especially for the world records.
- First of all I want to win. This is the "Golden League", and my first priority is to win all six stages. My technique and my health make this possible. And after that, I want to do something significant and unforgettable. I don’t want to say out loud what this will be, but I think everyone understands what I have in mind.

- Do you keep an eye on the two remaining contenders for the jackpot who may split the million dollars with you [b]- Sanya Richards and Michelle Perry?
- No, in the end this isn’t so important to me. Certainly I’d like to win the entire million dollars, but I don’t wish defeat on anyone. Tomorrow these girls will finish before I even start, so I’ll be able to concentrate completely on my own performance.

- And do you have thoughts about trying to try jump 4.92 m, to first increase your best result of the season?
- I don’t see any special point in jumping 4.92. For me this is more of a tactical height, which I’ll attempt if it’s required based on how the competition goes. By the way, it may be difficult to say exactly what will be necessary today. I see the girls are in a strong frame of mind, and after Osaka everyone is in good form. In Japan 12 people jumped 4.55 m - this, as far as I know, is a record in the women’s pole vault. If the average level rises, even to 4.80, this is even better for me.

- Have you already started work in the athletes’ commission of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), to which you were recently elected?
- No, my first familiarization session will take place this winter. I think my exact functions and responsibilities will be described for me there. But generally, I plan to spend something like a week in the summer and another in the winter working for the commission. We’ll be meeting exactly twice each year.

- You’ve undoubtedly been following the events going on with the Russian team, where the chief trainer Valery Kulichenko has been temporarily suspended on charges of being involved with doping.
- It’s difficult for me to comment on this situation, because in reality nothing depends on us, the athletes. We don’t have access to information, however, whatever is actually going on there, it’s above, in the management. I don’t have the slightest idea how this situation came about. But I have normal working relations with Valery Georgiyevich in his role as the chief trainer.

- Did you know that some of the team leaders signed a letter in support of Kulichenko?
- No, this is the first I’ve heard about it. Probably, I’m at home too rarely (laughing). No one came to me requesting that I sign anything. And if they had, I don’t even know how I’d have reacted. But of course, first of all I would read the letter there.

- Will you be very upset if the season ends without a world record?
- This wouldn’t be a tragedy for me. But I’ll be upset.
Last edited by BruceFlorman on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:00 pm

Here’s today’s Isinstallment from AllSport.ru:
Natalia Maryanchik wrote:09:52 15.09.2007 - Light Athletics - Sixth stage of the Golden League of Light Athletics-2007
Yelena Isinbaeva: I think about the wins, and not about the million dollars

Many considered the fifth stage of the "Golden League" in Brussels to be critical for pole vault world record holder Yelena Isinbaeva. After she escaped the previous stage in Zurich with difficulty from the improving Svetlana Feofanova, for the first time in long while her victory didn’t appear so obvious. But in Brussels, in spite of everything, Isinbaeva won calmly and confidently, even despite a season’s best personal result from Feofanova - 4.80 m. One start and one victory remain before the achievement of the one million dollar series jackpot - Sunday in Berlin. Yelena Isinbaeva described how a person feels when one step away from a million dollars to Natalia Maryanchik, the special correspondent of the Agency of sport information "All Sport" in Brussels.

- Lena, congratulations on your victory. How did you jump?
- Good, I’m satisfied with everything. The weather today was warmer than in Zurich, and my jumps were okay from the very beginning - in terms of technique and attitude. I was pleased with my attempt at 4.90. It’s a pity of course that again 5.02 didn’t come out, but so it goes.

- Before your last attempt at the world record height you argued and shook your finger at someone for a long time. What happened?
- Not at all, I argued with no one. It’s just that at this moment the women’s 200 was starting, and the local favorite Kim Gevaert was running there. Naturally all the spectators’ attention was riveted on her, creating something unusual in the stadium. But I wanted some support, to get some clapping and shouting for me too. Therefore I tried to stretch the time, to focus some attention of the spectators on myself. Nothing worked, so I had to jump without.

- Consequently it’s the spectators’ fault for the missed world record?
- No, I don’t want to blame anyone but myself. Certainly the support of the spectators, when they clap in rhythm, helps a lot. I’ve set all my records when I had a lot of support from the stadium. But in general the situation here is wonderful, and it was just a coincidence that Kim was running during my last attempt.

- One stage remains before getting the one million dollars. Do you feel pressure?
- No, no pressure at all. I’m absolutely calm. Money isn’t my motivation. I don’t think about the jackpot, but about the jumps, about the wins. So it plays no role whether there is a million dollars or not, I simply want to jump well, to win and to set records.

- You really don’t keep track of the second contender for the jackpot - American 400 meter runner Sanya Richards? Depending on the results in Berlin, you’ll either split the million in half or it will be given to someone alone.
- No, I don’t specifically track Sanya’s results, although of course, I’m kept informed. She’s quite good, already raised the season’s best result for the second time in a row, won all five stages, and runs very beautifully. But again, when I watch her run, I don’t think about money at all.

- Only one day remains before the last stage in Berlin. Will you have time to recover?
- Yes, I don’t think this will be problem. At the world championships we jumped like this; qualification then the final after one day. Tomorrow morning we go to Berlin, and then I’ll rest. No shopping and restaurants. I’ll have a massage, maybe go into the sauna, but then I’ll sit in my room with a book. My feet need the rest.

- What are you reading now?
- A book about world religions, their origins and distinctive characteristics. It’s interesting, and I enjoy it. And of course I read in Russian.

It’s too bad she has to constantly reassure the press that she’s still Russian. :)

I’m intrigued that she’s taking an interest in religions now. A lot was made in the Russian press back in ’04 about her “mixed ethnicity”, but the fact that her father is Dagastani implies that he was probably raised a Muslim, while her mother’s Kazakh heritage (with twelve siblings) implies a staunch Orthodox Christian heritage. Since they paired up, I’d gather that neither of her parents holds particularly dogmatic religious views. But I’ve been curious about how she views herself within that context – not that I ever expect to be in a situation where I’d feel comfortable asking her about it. Still, given all the ethnic strife going on in that part of the world, I’d kind of like to see her held up as an example of the good that can result from a little peace, love and understanding.

Last edited by BruceFlorman on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

A quick stop in Moscow on the way to Volgograd

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:49 am

The original interview was posted at AllSport.ru on Tuesday, but I didn't have time to translate it until this evening.
10:13 09.10.2007 - Light athletics
Yelena Isinbaeva: For this season on a 10-point scale I give myself a "nine"
The brilliant Russian sportswoman, European, world and Olympic Games champion, and world record holder in the women’s pole vault, Yelena Isinbaeva flew into Moscow on "Aeroflot" flight SU 274 from Nice on October 6th. In a conversation with Andrey Mitkov, the editor in chief of the Agency of sport information "All Sport", she summed up her pre-Olympic season and shared her plans for the Olympic season.

- Lena, the last two victories of your Far-Eastern season - on September 28th in Shanghai and October 3rd in Daegu - passed practically without notice. Are you satisfied with your performance and results in China and Korea?
- Of course I’m satisfied. First of all - that I won both starts. Secondly - that in spite of it being the very end of the season, I managed completely respectable results, 4.83 and 4.80 m respectively. Furthermore, I even felt somewhat acclimated in Asia - after the world championships in Osaka. Considering that the Olympic Games next year will take place in Beijing, this experience is very important for me. By the way, this was the first season in my career where I won all the tournaments in which I participated. All 13.

- And how would you assess your entire season on a 10-point scale?
- Out of 10-points? Probably "nine". I’d have said "ten" if it had been possible to set at least a couple of world records.

- And some of your prior seasons were tens, were "excellent"?
- I think I conducted the 2004 and 2005 seasons "excellently". But then for the 2006 season, on a 10-point scale, I would rate myself probably only "five". True, this is according to a Hamburg analysis, if we consider only the level of the results I showed. Still, I won all the important tournaments. But in this case the level of my results was not very high. This year the average level of results grew considerably. I won all but one of my tournaments with jumps of 4.80 or higher - up to 4.91. And my attempts at the world record were much more frequent and more realistic than in 2006. So I’m satisfied.

- At the same time, I got the impression that this season was a base for you, a springboard before next year’s Olympics.
- Probably this is actually so. I became more self-confident about my strength than in 2006, when I changed trainers, and then my jumping technique. Last year was very complicated for me. This one has been much easier. My jumps became more clear and precise, and 4.80 - if it’s not a warm-up, then it’s a base. And my attempts at the world record were absolutely not hopeless. None of my world record attempts were just for show or points in a contract. These were real attempts, albeit thus far unsuccessful.

- Why did you set out for Monaco, where you currently rent an apartment, after appearances in the Far East, instead of returning straight to Russia?
- I needed to change bags. To leave behind those with my competition gear, and to pick up others with my regular clothing and gifts.

- So after your change of trainers and your move abroad, don’t you feel like an "isolated piece"?
- On the contrary, after leaving Volgograd for my temporary place of residence in Monaco and training in Italy I’ve became much closer with and needed by my country. First of all, I judge by my relations with the All-Russian light athletics federation and Valentin Balakhnichev. The federation completely pays all foreign duties for me. And I always feel concern and support from Valentin Vasilyevich's side. He lends support and help on any issues I have. This is very important for me.

- Have you already begun to work in the athletes’ commissions of the Russian Olympic Committee and the International Association of Athletics Federations, to which you were elected this year?
- Thus far I haven’t had time for this work. I’ve just now completed my season, during which I can’t let myself become distracted. But now I’m ready to meet, to sit down and discuss. I have some specific ideas and proposals for both athletes’ commissions.

- You know that you’re being considered for one of three Russian candidates for election to the athletes’ commission of the International Olympic Committee (IOC)?
- According to my data, the candidates from each country should have been announced to the IOC before October 1st. I don’t know what decision the Russian Olympic committee reached. When I meet with Valentin Vasilyevich Balakhnichev, I’ll certainly inquire.

- And does your decision about transferring part of your half million dollar jackpot for winning the "Golden League" to the needy children of Volgograd remain in effect?
- Certainly! Only this won’t be a "transfer of part of the jackpot", it won’t be hand over and forget, just to say I carried out my civic duty, alright. My manager, like I promised, is developing a specific program. Honestly speaking, I don’t know whether we’ll direct aid to an orphanage, a hospital or a sports school. I can only promise that I will select concrete recipients myself, and that I’ll personally monitor the progress of the program’s implementation. By the way, when I get to Volgograd I want to talk about all this with Tanya Lebedeva, who also won the "Golden League" jackpot two years ago and set aside part for charity. We weren’t able earlier, our schedules during the competitions were a little bit different, and there was no time to discuss things in detail.

- What are your personal plans for your vacation?
- Now I’m going home to Volgograd. I want to rest my body, and unplug my head from everything unrelated to my friends and family. I can’t wait to meet my nephew Vanyechka٭, he’s already three months old. But once there I’ll think about where to spend my time off. I think I’ll go somewhere by the ocean - where it’s warm, where there’s sun.

- When and where will you start your preparation for the upcoming Olympic season?
- On November 12th in Monte Carlo. Thus far my trainer, Vitaly Afanasevich Petrov, and I haven’t discussed further stages of trainings and starts. We’ll decide in our first meetings.

- Do you know that they want to require absolutely all candidates for the Olympic team - regardless of status, titles and current results - to compete at the 2008 Russian championships?
- As far as I know, some exceptions will be provided nevertheless. But I’m not saying that I don’t want to come out at the national championships. Of course I’ll obey whatever decision is made. But nevertheless, I hope the leaders of the team and federation will also try to consider the preparation plans and appearances that my trainer develops for me. If there are no conflicts, if Vitaly Afanasevich’s plan provides for appearing at the Russian championships, I’ll come home with great pleasure. Like now!

- Is it foolish to ask about your plans for next season?
- Like this one, it’s very important for me to win all the competitions in which I participate. Including first and foremost, the Olympic Games in Beijing. And naturally, I’ll try to get over the bar at the record height more often.

٭ Just in case it's not obvious, “Vanyechka” is an affectionate diminutive of “Vanya”, which is a familiar form of “Ivan”, which is the Russian equivalent of “John”. So “Vanyechka” is, in effect, “Little Johnny”.

Last edited by BruceFlorman on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

KP Volgograd on Isi's new "do" and wedding plans.

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:19 pm

I pretend to look down my nose at the tabloids while standing in line at the supermarket – though I’ve been tempted to pick up the ones featuring cooking tips from Bigfoot and Nostradamus’ advice to the lovelorn. And I certainly get a bit of guilty pleasure from translating these Komsomolskaya Pravda articles in the Spring and Fall.
Isinbaeva has an Italian fiancé?

Lena decided to change her hairdo, and her personal life at the same time

Vladimir KOZIN, Yevgeny GUTNIKOV ("KP" - Volgograd") - 27.10.2007
95649.jpg
Well how about a bride on her engagement?!
95649.jpg (22.16 KiB) Viewed 4184 times
Photo: Genriettie PERYAN.

Yelena Isinbaeva arrived in Volgograd from Italy with a new hairdo. This beauty - simply mamma mia!

- The external change is probably not without a purpose...

To this the jumper gave an embarrassed smile:

“Yes, you’re right, I’m also thinking about changes in my personal life.”

There are always a multitude of rumors around Lena, who is so secretive and never speaks of her boyfriends. Noting the ring on her finger, we hinted in the conversation about the possibility of a wedding.

Two years ago Isinbaeva was dating a Volgograd athlete - another pole vaulter, Igor Alekseev. They trained together under Yevgeny Trofimov and even went to Astrakhan to meet the parents of her fiancé. But the relationship didn’t lead to a wedding. And now the Russian sport star has a new trainer, a new foreign life and a new Italian suitor.

Now Isinbaeva is preparing for the Beijing Olympiad. She lives in a hotel along with athletes of the Italian Olympic team.

“I’ll come back at the end of December to celebrate the New Year together with my relatives,” promised Isinbaeva. “Maybe I won’t come alone.”

- Is Lena actually ready to marry? We posed the question to her personal trainer Vitaliy Petrov.

“Oh this can’t be!” said Petrov, noticeably worried. “Where did you get this information? Lena and I spoke about this, and we decided together that a wedding before the Olympiad in Beijing, which takes place next summer, is out of the question. But you know how it is for the young and beautiful? Maybe she fell in love and decided to change her plans.”

- But you must know her suitors?

“I’m hardly her mama. A lot of people hang around with her. And in Italy too, where we train. And at home in Volgograd, where she is now. So far it hasn’t interfered. Quite the opposite, I’d say, since she won the world championship and Golden League this season. Now our primary focus is the 2008 Games in Beijing.”

- Well do you at least know about Isinbaeva’s immediate plans?

- Now she’ll fly to Milan for the annual awards for the prime T&F athletes.

The Volgograd press is certainly consistent. Every time she comes back for a visit, they have her preparing for a wedding. Of course even a busted clock is right twice a day, so undoubtedly they’ll eventually get lucky and can claim a “scoop”. I’m not sure if a new “do” really constitutes evidence, but who am I to say? To rip off Elvis Costello - I don’t know if she’s been lovin’ somebody; I only know it isn’t mine.

Last edited by BruceFlorman on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”