New Nike Spikes (now available)

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

alwayspb
PV Newbie

Unread postby alwayspb » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:06 pm

bel142 wrote:I have ahd two pairs of the lites. The spike plate never cracked on mine, BUT all three of my team mate's did. The nike swooshs came un-embroidered within the first weeks of having them.... Then the velcro strip (not the flap) ripped off the shoe.

The new ones look hot... All in all i think nike stuff isn't made all that well, but i do enjoy their products.

I definetly agree. I really like thier spikes but thier trainers, i always avoid them. I used to own a pair of nike frees, the back heel ripped away from the outsole after using them for 3 weeks. A few of my friends have the pv lites, same problems happening.

PVDad2
PV Beginner

Unread postby PVDad2 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:40 pm

I could be wrong, but I remember seeing Toby Stevenson with a pair of these shoes on at a meet at the OTC last weekend. As I recall they were black with white accents and were Nike's.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:18 pm

PVDad2 wrote:I could be wrong, but I remember seeing Toby Stevenson with a pair of these shoes on at a meet at the OTC last weekend. As I recall they were black with white accents and were Nike's.

Athletes with shoe contracts get the new models well before they're available to the public and custom models that are not available to the public (i.e. Tarpenning's Nike Internationalists back in the late 80s that said "Tarp" instead of "Nike" on the back).
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:02 am

There is a pair of the new pole vault spikes on eBay, if you happen to be a size 10 and absolutely have to have them before anyone else.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nike-Zoom-PV-II-LON ... dZViewItem

colby41
PV Fan

Unread postby colby41 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:50 pm

So are the new triple jump shoes supposed to feel like the old orange pv/triple shoes? The design looks like the high jumps... Flat footed. Maybe its just the picture. Talk about stereotyping
"Live Fierce, Live Free"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:59 pm

colby41 wrote:So are the new triple jump shoes supposed to feel like the old orange pv/triple shoes? The design looks like the high jumps... Flat footed. Maybe its just the picture. Talk about stereotyping

Yeah the new triple jump shoes are pretty flat on the bottom.

colby41
PV Fan

Unread postby colby41 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:31 pm

does it make it harder to run, being that the older ones were bent at the sole making for a nice angle to strike the ground with the strike plate
"Live Fierce, Live Free"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:53 pm

colby41 wrote:does it make it harder to run, being that the older ones were bent at the sole making for a nice angle to strike the ground with the strike plate

I did not find them hard to run in. I like the PV spikes better though. They are lighter.

colby41
PV Fan

Unread postby colby41 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:57 pm

o, cool, i might give them a try then. thanks becca
"Live Fierce, Live Free"

colby41
PV Fan

Unread postby colby41 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:00 am

because the shoes are coming out on the 1st of January, do you know where we can get them. summit?
"Live Fierce, Live Free"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:14 am

colby41 wrote:because the shoes are coming out on the 1st of January, do you know where we can get them. summit?

I would imagine eastbay.com and firsttothefinish.com will have them, possibly even doing preorders.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:35 am

newPVer wrote:they make their products, cheaply, but thats y they're lite, and thats y the feel soo good. once you go nike, you dont go back...

I started wearing Nike shoes (spikes and flats) probably back in '89 all the way through 2004. I'll never go back!

Just about every pair has either peeled at the soles or toe, torn on the side near your small toe, or had the foam at the heel compressed within 2 months.

Light? Yes. Especially my Nike International Zoom S's I wore back in '93-'94, nothing lighter! More shin splints, patellar and achilles tendinitis in those things than any other shoe I've worn, and I've had Adidas, Reebok, New Balance, Mizuno, Saucony, and Asics. An Olympic Gold Medalist friend of mine forfeited a lucrative contract with Nike to go back to Mizuno because he couldn't stay uninjured wearing Nike's. He attributes all his Achilles tendinitis to them, and had little to no pain after switching back to Mizunos.

For my money, I'll put Saucony, New Balance, or Mizuno flats on my feet for training, and Mizuno spikes on my feet for jumping.

I doubt Bill Bowerman would approve of the workmanship of his company's track shoes if he were still alive.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”