Videos from the Empire State Games

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
GiVaulter09
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.00
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker, Rory Quiller

Videos from the Empire State Games

Unread postby GiVaulter09 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:31 am

I posted some videos earlier this year some I thought I should post my final vaults of the year at the Empire State Games. I'm on a 14' 165lbs UCS.

This video is at 11'6 from the side
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL6e9-ibpd0

This video is at 12' I was way over but came down on the bar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl0WSXc6GJo

Thanks for any replies. I'm still looking for any local USATF meets. But most of them happened already.

Adam
Grade - College Sophomore
PR - 5.00m - 16' 4.75"

mjaubbs40
PV Whiz

PV meet on August 11th

Unread postby mjaubbs40 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:21 am

PV meet on August 11th in Warsaw, NY. Open to all vaulters. Check out link for information.

http://mjaubbs40.googlepages.com/home
"If it were easy, everyone would do it"

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:36 am

I think that you should get on a smaller pole. With a 14ft pole you should be at a level where you can at least vault at your handgrip. You'll benefit more in the long run if you get on a 13'7'' and just swing into a good top end and work on getting a foot or so over your top hand on that, THEN move on to the 14'.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:41 pm

looks like you are slowing down at the end of the runway, also you swing your arms back and forth, i used to do that also, just work on doing alot of running form work, and get that down
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

SinCity
PV Nerd

Unread postby SinCity » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:14 pm

Looks like your grip is a little narrow and your left hand/elbow should be below the pole during your carry. That will help your posture in your run. At takeoff you seem to be a little under, but from the angle your hands look to be high and your angle of takeoff looks good. When you start to close off do not bent your top arm. You need to drop your shoulders and take your rt hand to your rt hip with a straight arm and do a quarter turn ( this requires a lot of patience)
"Na, but I think I still in good shape to compete and beat them." Bubka

apsully
PV Fan

Unread postby apsully » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:04 pm

I agree with everything that's been said so far, except for getting on a smaller pole. The pole you're on is fine, you just need to make sure you're attacking the runway (NOT slowing down) and you'll be good to go.

One other thing that I can't stand seeing anyone do: do you have asperatioins to be a milkman some day? hah jk. You're milkin the pole, or pumping, as some may say. This can lead to an inconsistent plant and improper running form.
"Grip it 'n' rip it"

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:24 pm

It sounds like a simple fix with the run, but be warned that breaking pole carrying habits can be some of the hardest to do, because you generally have to go back down to pop ups and fix the problem, then get comfortable with tons and tons of short runs before it becomes muscle memory. Its hard though because if you arent comfortable with your run, usually you wont plant the pole. SO changing the way you run would obviously take a LONG time. But its definitely worth it in the end.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

GiVaulter09
PV Nerd

Unread postby GiVaulter09 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:30 am

First off thanks for the replies!... About the grip being narrow...My grip used to be more wide but the PV coachs at UB(the university at buffalo) taught me to have a forarm length grip. Because they said a wide grip will force bend the pole...And about the pole moving...I'm kinda wierd sometimes I move the pole alot and some times I don't move the pole at all...I guess it kinda depends on my mind set... during practice when i'm really thinking about my approach and being tall on my run the pole movements tend to get alot smaller. I guess I need to bring that mind set over to the meet. It does seem like I slow down alot, I don't know why I must of been slow that day or my steps where to tight I don't know. It felt right when I was vaulting. Thanks for posting that link, mjaubbs40, I might be there I gotta check with my parents and see if I can get there.
PR - 5.00m - 16' 4.75"

SinCity
PV Nerd

Unread postby SinCity » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:04 pm

I agree that a wide grip could promote some pressing out of the left arm, but a narrow grip is going to be weak. I think the length of the forearm plus a fist is more natural and will allow you to create more space between your hands and head throughout takeoff and swing phases. You just have to concentrate and work on keeping pressure up thru these two phases.
"Na, but I think I still in good shape to compete and beat them." Bubka

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:48 pm

The Petrov model says your grip should be as if hanging comfortably from a horizontal bar. So that's about shoulder width.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:07 pm

and if you measure it out thats about a forearm length, plus a first or two. Personally, i think that for kids jumping less than 14, it may be easier to control the pole and visualize bringing their bottom hand over their head, if you have a bit WIDER grip. But once they get a little more comfortable with their jumping it should go to shoulder width. Thats also how you will be tallest at the plant and during the swing.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

GiVaulter09
PV Nerd

Unread postby GiVaulter09 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:02 am

I need some help on getting a little more inverted or im not gonna get really that much higher on this pole...I dont feel like I have enough time to get my hips on top of my shoulders to get a fully strait up position...Any suggestions on drills or what ever?
PR - 5.00m - 16' 4.75"

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”