New NFHS Rule

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

New NFHS Rule

Unread postby drcurran » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:16 pm

New Rule for HS vaulters. Beginning with the 2008 season it will no longer be a foul if a vaulter leaves the ground without breaking the plane.

That is the way the rule I received was worded. I'm sure it is in line with the rule used this year for NCAA which would mean "without breaking the plane and making contact"

Still seems to be "issues" with - if a vaulters pole bends into the pit as he/she takes off, but the vaulters does not break the plane and make contact. Does the bending pole touching the pit count as "breaking the plane and making contact"? That was to be discussed earlier this past season, but I did not hear any final answer. I really think it is important that all official across the country are calling it the same way. So I'm hoping to get a final answer soon.

[b]Pole Vaulters Allowed to Leave Ground Without Breaking Plane
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Becky Oakes
INDIANAPOLIS, IN (July 9, 2007) â€â€
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!
TK

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:47 pm

Most absurd rule I've ever seen. Why all of the other rules to increase safety if they're going to come up with something as dangerous as this?

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Re: New NFHS Rule

Unread postby master » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:10 pm

Thank goodness they have changed this. It eliminates one of the most arbitrary calls an official had to make.

I need help understanding this last sentence ...
[quote="drcurran"] [b]"...This change will now allow all vertical jumps to be judged the same in regard to aborted attempts and trials.â€Â

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:21 pm

I can already see coaches saying "If you know you ain't gonna make it just let go before you're upside down!"

It's fine to abort a vault INTO the pit but encouraging inexperienced vaulters to abort onto the runway is asking for trouble.
Last edited by achtungpv on Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:24 pm

Any bets as to how long it takes for some new mandatory rules to increase front bun length?

I guess one year.

Shooting ourselves in the foot.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:00 pm

How do the college rules, open rules and masters rules compare on this topic?

- master

htheodore
PV Whiz

Unread postby htheodore » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:08 am

Is the plane at the back of the box or the plane of the crossbar? If it is the crossbar, does it eliminate the rule of the pole or vaulter touching any area behind the back of the box. Example: If the vaulter aborts his run at the last second and the pole goes into the box and bounces out of the box and touches the area behind the back of the box or touches the front of the pit behind the box, but not break the plane of the crossbar, is this not considered a foul? This aspect of the rule may have coaches argueing on interpretation of the rule.

vtcoach
PV Nerd
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby vtcoach » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:16 am

master wrote:How do the college rules, open rules and masters rules compare on this topic?

- master

They are now the same. The college rule changed this year and it was disturbing to see someone who was out of control (or on too big a pole) get stood up, land on the front bun or off the pit completely, and then sprint back to their starting mark to try again in what was left of their 60 seconds. I think if I had an athlete do this I would call them off.

I thought the old rule was fine but misunderstood. It is pretty easy to judge the difference between an attempt to stop and an attempt to jump.

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:22 am

[quote]INDIANAPOLIS, IN (July 9, 2007) â€â€

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:45 am

htheodore wrote:Is the plane at the back of the box or the plane of the crossbar? If it is the crossbar, does it eliminate the rule of the pole or vaulter touching any area behind the back of the box. Example: If the vaulter aborts his run at the last second and the pole goes into the box and bounces out of the box and touches the area behind the back of the box or touches the front of the pit behind the box, but not break the plane of the crossbar, is this not considered a foul? This aspect of the rule may have coaches argueing on interpretation of the rule.

It is the back of the box.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:03 am

Thank goodness they have changed this. It eliminates one of the most arbitrary calls an official had to make.

What arbitrary call are you talking about? It WAS easy to make a call on whether or not a kid left the ground in an actual attempt to make the bar. NOW they can leave the ground in an ACTUAL attempt to make the bar, get stood up and spit out and get a rebate jump. Not to mention how much harder that will be for officials to make the call as to whether they broke the plane of the back of the box.

Maybe when one of my football boys doesn't gain positive yardage on a play, I can ask the official to please not count that one and give us another try. :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Glory
PV Whiz

Unread postby Glory » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:15 am

i think this is a good rule is used correctly...the time period given is difficult to get back to if you come up short on the vault approach...i am a senior in college and the rule just started this last season and i saw it used a few times but not many. it worked out in favor of the vaulter like 1 out of 10 times used...if you know your not going to make it on the first try then try to sprint back and correct it..your tired and mentally out of it already...so lets all just go with the flow and everything will be normal

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”