Big Pole change

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Kolber
PV Fan

Big Pole change

Unread postby Kolber » Fri May 18, 2007 9:32 am

I weigh 145lbs and I have been jumping on a 150lb 14' pacerfx (holding about about 12'9), I currently tried out a 175lb 13' USC and I am getting in the pit great with standards about the same w/ the pacer. Does any1 suggest I stay with the USC, or go back to the pacer and try to work myself to the top of it, OR try this new Rocket pole my school has that is a 175, but it is 13'6 ??
greatness=greatness

carbonvaulter5
PV Wannabe

Unread postby carbonvaulter5 » Sat May 26, 2007 12:40 am

I weigh 132 and have a whole chain of ucs from my school they let me keep at my house to use, I have a 13' 175 ucs and would say that on the pacerfx is has a quicker recoil and where you are holding it is probably recoiling fast, hold at 13'3 on the parcer and keep your step the same and there should be little difference in speed but probably 3-6 inches of height increase. Try it out and see how it works out. GOOD LUCK BRO!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:30 pm

That is definitely quite a pole change... The pole stiffness has increased immensely. If you can handle the 13' pole, try that. Cap it out (if you're comfortable with that), and it will be a little softer than if you hold at 12'9''. The continuous goal of a pole vaulter should be to hold higher on longer and stiffer poles. Go for it!

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:43 pm

powerplant42 wrote:That is definitely quite a pole change... The pole stiffness has increased immensely.

How can you make that assumption....we were not given any flex numbers. Also, if you hold 1' 3" below the top of the pole, you need to move up a pole. Poles are not designed to have vaultes hold down that much to optimally vault.

Stay on the 13' 175.....once you star to have your standards pushed back too far, try gripping up one fist (3-4inches) from where you are now, and move up on to the next pole.

the pole should act quite similar (IF the flex numbers are close. It is a different brand of pole so the flex numbers may differ)....but you will be gripping higher.
Man Up and Jump

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:13 pm

Even though there were no flex numbers given, it is obvious that the stiffness of the pole has definitely increased due to a non-capped grip on a pole with a higher weight rating. Kolber, just do what feels right to you. Experiment until you find THE grip on THE pole.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:29 pm

A 14'150 is approximately equal to a 13'170 (if you were holding 12'9" on both poles) so I am not surprised that it wasn't a huge difference between them.

It sounds like you found a good pole (the 13'175). I would stick with that until you are knocking the bar off on the way up with your standards all the way back.

Then go to the 13'6 175.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”