Videos of Tori Anthony 14-1, Nico Weiler 17-2

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:17 am

skyshark177 wrote:
achtungpv wrote:You are correct. I got confused. I asked this question on the TFN board a while back. A Finn exchange student received the TFN #1 ranking. I'm old. Leave me alone.

EDIT: Art Skipper has the record for the old javelin. The Finn has the record for the new javelin.

Not to be pain here but I thought they moved the Center of Gravity in the javelin in 1986, making Skipper to have setting the record with the new javelin. please, I'd like to know where you find this Finn has the national HS record.

They made another adjustment to the HS Boys Jav more recently than that.

skyshark177
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby skyshark177 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:08 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
skyshark177 wrote:
achtungpv wrote:You are correct. I got confused. I asked this question on the TFN board a while back. A Finn exchange student received the TFN #1 ranking. I'm old. Leave me alone.

EDIT: Art Skipper has the record for the old javelin. The Finn has the record for the new javelin.

Not to be pain here but I thought they moved the Center of Gravity in the javelin in 1986, making Skipper to have setting the record with the new javelin. please, I'd like to know where you find this Finn has the national HS record.

They made another adjustment to the HS Boys Jav more recently than that.

I'm only finding that a similar redesign was made to the Women's javelin in 99' or 01'.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/8682/jav.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javelin_throw
SKYSHARKS

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:48 am

Sorry...he holds the record with the international implement...

Javelin.......79.20 ...259-10......Art Skipper (Sandy, Oregon).................................Eugene, Oregon.............5/28/88
(int'l).....73.74*...241-11......Tommi Viskari' (Amsterdam, New York)........................West Point, New York.......11/ 3/88

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/archiv ... cords.html
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:39 pm

Here is the note from the WA Track Annual:

In 2002 , the high school javelin was switched to international specs to conform with the implement used world-wide since 1985. While the overall weight did not change, its weight distribution was altered to induce a shorter flight distance. Best estimates suggest that a throw of 220 feet with the 'old-style' implement would be the equivalent of a 210' toss with the international ('new-style') implement.

skyshark177
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby skyshark177 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:56 pm

Now the question is, which did he throw with?
SKYSHARKS

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:10 pm

skyshark177 wrote:Now the question is, which did he throw with?

Art Skipper was with the old javelin. Well his record of 259-10 was. He threw 227-7 with the international one, the record for that one is 241-11 by Viskari.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:42 am

More video of Anthony's jump: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlcQWnck8hc

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:06 am

I heard Tori is hurt with a back injury that may put her out for quite some time. Has anyone else heard about anything?
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:21 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:More video of Anthony's jump: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlcQWnck8hc

Gotta love the commentary on that video. Talk about people who don't know much of anything about the sport trying to make something up that sounds very analytical and profound. At least she got some tv coverage!
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:20 pm

yeah, dummies. im bored and i would like to pick out their flawed statements.
#1- Bubka former gymnast? not sure but i dont think so.
#2-"whats great about her technique is how she BENDS that pole back so well"- what does that even mean?
#3- "she doesn't have great speed" she's a girl jumping 14'1 in hs, of course she is fast. And speed is the most important aspect of any elite vault not "bending the pole", or "gymnastic ability"
#4- "gymnastic over the top is really the key thing" ummmm NO!
#5- "Her body motion over the bar is like a world class vaulters" wtf? i think at this point he is trying to pull stuff out of his butt.
#6- Gymnast apparently make GREAT polevaulters.... all you have to do is find a gymnast and boom they are a world class vaulter. --When i think of gymnasts for the most part i think of short and slower type athletes. Give me a longjumper or hurdler instead.
#7-"on the womens side they are just dominating because they are so comfortable with their bodies in the air the way they twist" If you are twisting in the air you are doing it wrong. The downward movement of yourleft arm and movement of the pole should naturally rotate you around the pole.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:02 am

I think I remember reading somewhere that as a kid Bubka did get some gymnastics training, maybe before he was moved to train for the vault...

Also if you can find a taller gymnast, they usually are better vaulters right away because not only do they have a natural swinging ability, but they're body awareness is so good as well. A lot of very good girl vaulters that I know have some sort of gymnastics background...

True, when I become a coach I would love to train an 18 to 20 foot long jumper how to pole vault, but I guess you take what is given to ya...

I did like how you were making fun of that dude for over exaggerating everything about the vault, those people are the ones who make the sport more dangerous for the beginning level vaulters who hear what he is saying, and try to do exactly what he was talking about...

just my .02 cents...
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

athgeek
PV Beginner

Unread postby athgeek » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:04 pm

I spoke with Bob Slover at Los Gatos. He says Nico has grown an inch over the summer and is much more fit than this time last year. He cleared 16-6 (real bar) by at least a foot from a walk-up six-left approach. He normally goes out to nine lefts in the spring. He's on a 16.2 flex 5M pole, gripping 15-8, taking off at 13'8" on the runway.

Barring injury, I'd say he has a fair shot to break Skipper's high school record, especially considering he *barely* ticked off 17'10" this past summer.
Vault high...land on something soft :)

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”