One question? Please read.

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

I_amomega
PV Newbie

One question? Please read.

Unread postby I_amomega » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:47 pm

I'm having trouble with bringing my arm in after I drive which makes it impossible for me to rock fully and have my shoulders drop. I was wondering if there were any tips for me to break this terrible habbit. Any help would be appriciated.

carbonvaulter5
PV Wannabe

Unread postby carbonvaulter5 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:15 pm

Do drills to practice getting inverted. Like high bar drills. I think all the drills you're going to need is on pole vault power training log. It's all about drills to get those little things fixed but you can do it! :D

I_amomega
PV Newbie

Unread postby I_amomega » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:33 pm

Alright thanks, my coach believes that if I do what Im suppose to by totally getting inverted and letting my shoulders drop I should be doing 13' no problem, but my problem is when I start to go for higher heights I rush my vault and instead of just doing it like a normal one I throw my feet down. He says this happens because of instead of going for maximum height I go for the bar. Its so frustrating. Any drills/ workouts I could do at home to help?

carbonvaulter5
PV Wannabe

Unread postby carbonvaulter5 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:11 pm

I know what you mean, it happens to me sometimes. What you're probably doing is thinkin to much and yes you are rushing the vault, you must concentrate on fully doing every step in the vault. It is not that you are not capable of jumping high bars, it's that you must have the right mind set. Listen to what your coach has to say, but if you don't uncerstand something when he says do the full vault ask himwhat you are doing wrong so you can correct that flaw as soon as possible.
If all is right you should be @ 14' in no time! :D

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:02 pm

Any video would probably help us a lot, Because when you say you "drop your feet" before you are fully inverted, its called "flagging out".

In lamens terms, its not staying in line with the pole all the way up and through the vault. It could be happening for a number of reasons, and some of the experienced coaches on here can tell you those reasons if you post a video.

You might be looking at the bar like you suggested, and are getting too anxious. But you might also not be fully connected and inverted with the pole, so when the pole unbends it shoots you in whatever position you are in. Something that could fix this, and something you should be doing already, are plenty of Bubka drills and core strength training in order to stay in the inverted position throughout the top of the vault. But definitely get some video so the coaches can see what the real problem is.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

carbonvaulter5
PV Wannabe

Unread postby carbonvaulter5 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:16 pm

Yeah I agree with Jason fully! :D Send Video

I_amomega
PV Newbie

Unread postby I_amomega » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:22 am

Alright no problem, I'm going to have to upload them from a phone somehow and then try to put them on youtube, I'll try as soon as possible, and thanks for the help, hopefully in the next week I'll be going to a camp. I'll take some videos there. Otherwise any more feedback will help. Thanks.
One day I'll touch the sky, until then I'll just pole vault.

Pr-11'

Glory
PV Whiz

Unread postby Glory » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:09 pm

as far as flagging out is concerned if you just practice on turning sooner that will keep your feet moving upward with the rest of your body allowing you to stay inverted longer...

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:47 am

I can tell you now that unless you maybe got one of those new "I-phones", the quality probably wont be good enough for us to help you. I know its hard, but the better quality, the more help you are going to be able to get. But its also extremely hard for people to help you when we dont know the "style" of jumping you have, which cant be shown in 2 minute video clips.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:29 pm

"as far as flagging out is concerned if you just practice on turning sooner that will keep your feet moving upward with the rest of your body allowing you to stay inverted longer..."

The turn should be the end result of a correct, complete vault. You shouldn't really need to consciously start your turn. This can be a catalyst of flagging if one thinks about it...

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”