Chelsea Johnson - 14'11" at Impromptu Meet In Livermore

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

athgeek
PV Beginner

Chelsea Johnson - 14'11" at Impromptu Meet In Livermore

Unread postby athgeek » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:09 am

Vault high...land on something soft :)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:14 am

Livermore- Chelsea Johnson cleared 4.55 today in Livermore, California. Tracy O'Hara finished second with a clearance of 4.45 and Becky Holliday was third place.

Chelsea Johnson 4.55
Tracy O'Hara 4.45
Becky Holliday 4.15

Vault Chick
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Livermore Meet

Unread postby Vault Chick » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:41 am

Yeah, I was there! It was really fun to watch, and I actually got to compete with the Elite Women! lol
PR: 10'8" (so far!)
Chico State Track + Field!

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:05 am

im assuming the conversion for this topic subject is wrong..

4.55m is 14-11...

either way, good jump for her!
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

athgeek
PV Beginner

Unread postby athgeek » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:02 pm

The 15-3 was cleared during Chelsea's jump-off with Tracy O'Hara. The bar was set at 15-3 for sure, but I don't know if it counts officially. I left early and never saw the final results.

I'd check with Jim or Michelle Doggett to find out what was reported to the USATF. My understanding is that it was a sanctioned meet, but maybe someone else can explain it further -- 4th jump, or whatever.
Vault high...land on something soft :)

wannaflyhigh20
PV Wannabe

Unread postby wannaflyhigh20 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:08 pm

Uhm...OK! So there was a jump off -- right? So lets get this straight. o'hara made 4.45 and chelsea made 4.55 but there was a jump of at 4.65? don't you only have a jump off if you are TIED?!? i don't know but this is really kinda suspect. somebody popped a huge PR in the middle of a highschool track in a meet that meant nothing? don't mean to sound kinda negative but what's the real story? first it was 15'3 now 14'11 but was the tie at 14'7 i'm gonna dig up some stats brb.

Vault Chick
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

15-3

Unread postby Vault Chick » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:12 pm

Yeah, what happened was both Chelsea and Tracy O' Hara cleared 14-7, but they couldn't clear 14-11, so they had to have a jump-off to see who the winner was. Chelsea ended up clearing 14-11 while Tracy couldn't, so that ended the jump-off. Then, once the competition was over, Chelsea wanted to attempt 15-3 for fun, since she was jumping so well, and ended up clearing it on her third attempt. So, yeah, it's unofficial, but it was a great jump and unofficial pr.
PR: 10'8" (so far!)
Chico State Track + Field!

TVVAcoach
PV Fan

Unread postby TVVAcoach » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:28 pm

I don't normally get drawn in to posting here, but since I have first hand knowledge I figured I could quickly resolve any confusion.

I do suggest that when questions, speculations and concerns such as those asked by wannaflyhigh20, are asked, they should be directed to the officials on the field, as suggested by athgeek. Here is the real story:

There was nothing suspect, sketchy or random about it. This meet was a sanctioned meet with a USATF official running it and it meant a lot to those that competed. It was witnessed by Tye Harvey, Brad Walker, Tommy Skipper and Jan Johnson just to mention a few of the outstanding athletes in attendance. It took place at an outstanding facility (high school or not) that is known to be a very good place to vault with very favorable tailwinds. Chelsea was on fire as she had been during practice earlier in the week, a PR was expected before we even got started.

This was one of three meets held in Livermore that day.
The meet went exactly as vault chick described.
Tracy O'Hara jumped at 4.15, 4.30 and 4.45 making them all on her first attempt, she then missed all three attempts at 4.55.
Chelsea Johnson jumped at 4.30 and 4.45 making them all on her first attempt, then missed all three attempts at 4.55.
The jump off only took one jump each.
Tracy missed her tie breaking fourth attempt at 4.55.
Chelsea made it. Tie broken, meet over, the 4.55 jump was reported to USATF.
The men were not ready to warm up. We had down time, so Chelsea took three shots at 4.65. She made it on her last attempt, the original post youtube video is of that jump I believe. It does not officially count, it was not reported, but it was a hell of a jump.

Hope this clears up any confusion in prior posts.

Michelle Doggett

VaultLove
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultLove » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:19 pm

Well Ms. Doggett you don't need to justify what Ms. Johnson did. It's not as if she's not capable? wannaflyhigh20 is the same individual who to shots a Buller switching poles. And you know, he seems to be fine with his poles.

thanks again for your report

TVVAcoach wrote:I don't normally get drawn in to posting here, but since I have first hand knowledge I figured I could quickly resolve any confusion.

I do suggest that when questions, speculations and concerns such as those asked by wannaflyhigh20, are asked, they should be directed to the officials on the field, as suggested by athgeek. Here is the real story:

Michelle Doggett

shevaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby shevaulter » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:42 pm

I too don't like to get involved, but looking from the outside when you see a post that says 15'3" and then it is changed to 14'11", it does seem a little 'sketchy'. Like I have said before, I do follow the jumping events closely and I know Ms. Johnson and Ms. O'Hara have not posted their best marks. Actually a week earlier they both jumped 13'9". To come out and jump 35cm higher is already a shocker, but with the headline changed it makes for a credibitlity issue. I have been to alot of meets and I know recently a young lady jumped higher than she thought she did until they measured the height. I want to make a point, just because it is a USATF meet with officials does not mean a whole lot. I too was very confused by the posts, but if she truly did jump that good job to all.

Mrs. Keller

VaultLove
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultLove » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:54 pm

Sketchy? well, inconsistant is a whole other story. before jumping 4.60 last year Ms. Johnson struggled. Nonethless, she did manage to do it. This is the same girl who was an Olympic Team alternate as a sophomore in college.

shevaulter wrote:I too don't like to get involved, but looking from the outside when you see a post that says 15'3" and then it is changed to 14'11", it does seem a little 'sketchy'. Like I have said before, I do follow the jumping events closely and I know Ms. Johnson and Ms. O'Hara have not posted their best marks. Actually a week earlier they both jumped 13'9". To come out and jump 35cm higher is already a shocker, but with the headline changed it makes for a credibitlity issue. I have been to alot of meets and I know recently a young lady jumped higher than she thought she did until they measured the height. I want to make a point, just because it is a USATF meet with officials does not mean a whole lot. I too was very confused by the posts, but if she truly did jump that good job to all.

Mrs. Keller

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:54 pm

shevaulter wrote:I too don't like to get involved, but looking from the outside when you see a post that says 15'3" and then it is changed to 14'11", it does seem a little 'sketchy'. Like I have said before, I do follow the jumping events closely and I know Ms. Johnson and Ms. O'Hara have not posted their best marks. Actually a week earlier they both jumped 13'9". To come out and jump 35cm higher is already a shocker, but with the headline changed it makes for a credibitlity issue. I have been to alot of meets and I know recently a young lady jumped higher than she thought she did until they measured the height. I want to make a point, just because it is a USATF meet with officials does not mean a whole lot. I too was very confused by the posts, but if she truly did jump that good job to all.

Mrs. Keller

Okay Mrs. Keller,

If you are accusing the USATF officials in Texas of being crooked, maybe you ought to start naming names. And don't assume that just because they can't be trusted out there means that the officials in the Pacific Association don't run a tight ship. There are at least 10 that specialize in the pole vault, and every one is pretty anal about running the even right, even to the degree that most travel with a laser leveler. One even travels with a post leveler.

So which Texas officials are you calling out?

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”