Help on Turn Please...

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
kemp-pv
PV Newbie

Help on Turn Please...

Unread postby kemp-pv » Tue May 15, 2007 10:00 pm

I have already used the search bar and checked for topics but if anybody could help me that would be great.

I'm having a problem turning, I wait until im over the bar and then i turn. Seems dumb, i know but if there are any suggestions or drills please let me know. My coach tells me to simply cross my right foot over my left and I will turn, but its not that easy for me. Anything would help, Thanks.

Siros
PV Nerd

Unread postby Siros » Tue May 15, 2007 10:44 pm

Just try doing some pop-ups holding lower on the pole. Try to swing up the first time. Then try swinging up and pulling yourself up higher on the pole. Then after that try combining both of those with turns. If you can get it when your lower on the pole try moving higher up on it. Eventually try clearing heights doing those drills. Once you've gotten up to about your normal height and pole grip, then I think you'd know how to by then.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

turning

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed May 16, 2007 5:56 pm

Turning is not something you do! It's something that happens when you execute your mechanics properly.........Check out 99% of the videos of the elites on Neovault or this site...

depvaulter
PV Beginner

Unread postby depvaulter » Wed May 16, 2007 7:10 pm

In addition to what the other posts say, turning will come naturally when the vaulter gets inverted. This is bevcause it is easier to spin around when you are vertical than horizontal. Keep working on swinging, and it will come.
Bad days are for rain. Rainy days are whatever you make of them.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

turning

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed May 16, 2007 7:13 pm

actually, the "turn" is a function of moving your body vertically. As you pass your lower hand the body rotates naturally and the "turn" just happens......you don't spin around at all!!

kemp-pv
PV Newbie

Unread postby kemp-pv » Tue May 22, 2007 4:32 am

Thanks alot for the suggestions, but one more question. If I am doing it a little late is there an easy way of doing it earlier? Because the longer you delay your turn, the higher you should be when you start your turn...correct?

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

turning

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Tue May 22, 2007 7:25 am

you can't do it late. If your body is inverted (or in the proper position as you begin to pull up the pole), and then you pull it will happen exactly as it is supposed to. The vault is a constantly dynamic event. The biggest problem you will encounter is when you hesitate or don't move on the pole. But don't focus on the pull focus on the entire set of activities that are pole vaulting.

kemp-pv
PV Newbie

Unread postby kemp-pv » Wed May 23, 2007 3:32 am

Alright... this will help alot, thanks!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”