Run Tall, Jump Up. Help Please...

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
VegasVaulter
PV Newbie

Run Tall, Jump Up. Help Please...

Unread postby VegasVaulter » Sat May 12, 2007 2:08 am

Hi, I'm new to this website, and have constantly been reading many of the helpful topics on here over the last couple of weeks. I'm a freshman vaulter (my first year), and so far I've made about 10'3" just by sitting over it. I'm 125 on a 140 12' UCS/Spirit pole, and get a good amount of bend. My plants been getting much better, due to vaulting club, and I'm trying to learn how to turn, but I keep on having re-occuring problems that are annoying the heck out of me.

Basically, here's my problem. My coach at club keeps on telling me over and over that I'm not running tall at the end. He's saying I'm putting too much energy into the ground, and not in jumping upwards. I know this is true, but I can't find any way at all to get the potential energy upwards, and not into the box. I'd appreciate help on this.

Also, I'm having a bunch of problems with my swing. I find myself constantly looking at the bar, and not focusing on bringing my feet up to my hands (not getting vertical).

Last, I can't figure out how to turn. I know I need to fix the already-mentioned problems first, but I just can't figure it out. The problems aren't due to body control or anything (I've been rock climbing for five years or so, and right before I quit, I was taking first at tons of comps, so it's not like I can't concentrate on moving my hands to the right place).

I've been using methods, like thinking a certain thing at the right time to get my arm up before I plant, or thinking something else at a specific time to load the pole, but I can't figure out what to do to get better.

After cheesing out at regionals (yes, it's only 10' feet to qualify here...), I'm even more determined to get better and better, so that by senior year I'll be great. I'm glad to join PVP, and hope that I'll soon be better.

So basically, what can I work on to:
Run Tall
Get energy upwards, not into the box
Swing/not look at the bar
Turn
Focus and not lose concentration at doing all in one fluid motion

Thanks, and sorry if what you see before you is a confusing wall of text...
~George
PR: 10'

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat May 12, 2007 4:31 am

Hey be patient and keep practicing. It sounds like you have good coaches and a good idea of what is going on. Keep listening to your coaches and putting the work in in practice and I think you will keep improving.

Siros
PV Nerd

Unread postby Siros » Sat May 12, 2007 7:29 pm

Yeah, just train hard, but have a good time. It's one of the things that I'm starting to learn.

SinCity
PV Nerd

Unread postby SinCity » Mon May 14, 2007 1:42 pm

Great Post George. It's nice to see a club kiddo finally on here. Just keep working hard. You are very coachable and have improved a ton in the last month. YOur running form is just something that is going to take time, just be patient. With the improvements you are going to make in run form your takeoff is going to be much easier, because you'll be striking your takeoff foot underneath your hips which allows you to have more control and more power in your jumping angle. This in turn will help your swing which will help you vault higher. Its sounds weird, but the run and proper run form is the key to everything that happens once you leave the ground. The turn and not looking at the bar are things that will happen as a result of the previously metioned techniques and lots of jumping. Keep up the good work.
"Na, but I think I still in good shape to compete and beat them." Bubka

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon May 14, 2007 5:56 pm

Hey man welcome to PVP its an awesome site!! I definitely mean "do as i say, not as a do" when i say that a key to vaulting is patience. Not referring to form, but just to an attitude toward vaulting. It takes tons of time and practice, but if you stick with your coach and follow his program, you will usually see progress slowly. It might feel slow, but soon you look around and there arent many people in your school, then county, then state that are jumping as high as you. 10' is great for a new freshman, so dont think you arent on the right course. It just takes patience, something i cant deny i have a problem with quite often!! But make sure every day you are having fun. As cheesey as it sounds, you jump well when you have fun, end of story!!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”