too early for petrov?

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
un poco loca saltar
PV Fan

Unread postby un poco loca saltar » Tue May 01, 2007 9:55 pm

well, I added a step to my run today maybe I'll be able to fix it now. Didn't get much practice in because we were having some nasty weather today...
tell ya in a week how it goes! thanks!
Do just once what others say u can't do, and u will never pay attention to their limitations again.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Tue May 01, 2007 10:57 pm

check out the b2b dvd. alan launders preaches the petrov free take off model from the start. learn to do the basic things extraordinarily well. his whole belief in the system is that any body of any ability level can learn to do these basic things. so why wait. the more you engrain bad habits the harder they will be to break later. just my .02 anyway
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

SinCity
PV Nerd

Unread postby SinCity » Wed May 02, 2007 11:22 am

work on your run form everyday and be really meticulous with its consistantcy. Your posture and foot strike are the keys to having a consistant and efficient takeoff.

I always hear take-off out, in my opinion, that gives a lot of people, especially kiddos, a false idea of what the "free takeoff" actually is. Maybe it could be considered a little out, like an inch, but what I have seen and read lately is that kiddos are taking of 6 inces or more out to try the free takeoff, which most times is very flat, which puts too much pressure in the bottom of the pole and also is very hard to control and unsafe.

I think one, especially young vaulters, should work on run form, a good high plant with a great takeoff that is on and quit worring about a free takeoff. If the posture, speed and plant are consistant and early the free takeoff will happen as a result of proper mechanics in the run.
My 2cents :P
"Na, but I think I still in good shape to compete and beat them." Bubka

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sat May 05, 2007 9:53 pm

Alan Launder asked me to post the following with photos for your consideration.
The photos below are of young athletes that are being taught the
free take off technique. They are both daughters of coach Alex Parnov,
who also coaches Steve Hooker, Paul Burgess and Kym Howe.
Note neither Vicki or Elizabeth look like they have spent hours
in the weight room improving their bench press!

Here is Vicki. She is 15 and has jumped 4.30m (14' 1.25")

Here is Elizabeth. She is 12 and has jumped 3.61m (11' 10")

- master

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Sun May 06, 2007 8:45 pm

I am not sure why no one except a few think it is a good idea to learn a free take-off from the earliest point. Why would you learn the wrong way then try to correct it when you become an elite vaulter? It is never too early for Petrov if you are learning to vault or are already vaulting you should be doing everything in your power to learn the correct way (Petrov). :yes:

baggettpv
PV Master

Belief system on the takeoff...

Unread postby baggettpv » Tue May 08, 2007 2:44 am

It's easy to understand why people don't feel this takeoff is better than the other. They don't know how to teach it and it's against their original belief's. Too many people try to apply this New(?) technique to old behaviours. with negative affect instead of understanding it's affects.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC
Good coaching is good teaching.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue May 08, 2007 8:08 pm

Sure its not too early to teach the free takeoff, but is it not something that bubka claimed to have only achieved a few times in his career? How can we expect a beginner to learn a tactic like this and really see its benefits?

Taking off a little bit outside is one thing, and being comfortable taking off outside if need be is definitely helpful for beginners. but lets not confuse that with a free take off, whose purpose is to keep energy transfer from the runway into the pole at take off, and keep that energy transfer until push off. Most beginners have several stages of energy leaks throughout their jump. So how are they to use the energy of a free take off without first having the knowledge to keep energy moving throughout the rest of the jump? They would likely loose that energy later in the jump, especially with an unusual feeling of "freeness" as you leave the ground and before the pole hits the back. Without serious confidence in your jump before attempting a free or outside take off, you would most likely LOSE energy from hesitation either in a delayed swing or pulling of the pole during the swing.
Plus most novice jumpers' steps are 6" in or out on a majority of their jumps. I think teaching a free take off to a beginner is the same as trying to teach them proper pike position to allow your center of gravity to actually travel underneath the bar. It might be helpful to orient them with these ideas, but at that stage in developement they can be helped a lot more in different ways.

Then again, every coach is entitled to teach their kid whatever way they see fit, thats just my part.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Tue May 08, 2007 8:57 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:So how are they to use the energy of a free take off without first having the knowledge to keep energy moving throughout the rest of the jump? They would likely loose that energy later in the jump, especially with an unusual feeling of "freeness" as you leave the ground and before the pole hits the back.

One of the nice things about teaching beginners at ANYTHING is that they don't know what feels "normal" and therefore, you could make the free takeoff feel "normal."

I tend to believe what Alan Launder says. When he says to teach the free takeoff to all jumpers (even beginners), I don't see any reason to doubt him.

vaultman18
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultman18 » Tue May 08, 2007 10:03 pm

SKOT is exactly right teach a beginner is easier than changing a veteran. If someone has vaulted for 10 years they are less likely to change their technique (I know this from trying to change myself).
vault3rboy:
I think Bubka had a free-take off on more than a few jumps. I think you are thinking of the pre-jump and I also think you are confusing them completely.

captainfalcon43
PV Fan

Unread postby captainfalcon43 » Tue May 08, 2007 10:46 pm

do you think that if Vicky and Elizabeth hadn't began with a free takeoff and the Petrov Model that they would have cleared higher?
Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed May 09, 2007 12:40 am

Both of you guys will pay one of these days for forcing me to return to the fray yet again just because stupidity and ignorance cannot go unchallenged!

“but is it not something that bubka claimed to have only achieved a few times in his career?â€Â
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

vaultman18
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultman18 » Wed May 09, 2007 10:06 am

Alan I think you missed the sarcasm in Captain's post. He is trying his hardest to follow the petrov model. Or at least as best as I can teach him. And he is one of your biggest fans. Anyway welcome back, but I have a feeling it is only a brief encore. :D

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”