trying to make petrov proud

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

trying to make petrov proud

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Tue May 01, 2007 10:34 pm

well since i had some down time and have had to start again from short run after my surgery. i thought i would try to work on achieving a more petrov like take off. so heres a few video clips. nothing to great yet. but moving in the right direction i hope. im really struggling to not row the pole when i swing. but here it is

take off drill
http://www.polevaultpower.com/brian/P1030727.MOV

attempt to do take off and swing
http://www.polevaultpower.com/brian/P1030743.MOV
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Wed May 02, 2007 1:16 am

Looks like you are off to a very good start! FWIW, You could get your swing through faster so you could cover the pole sooner and be more active in getting your shoulders under to get more out of the pole.
Chris Milton

VTechVaulter
PV Lover

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Wed May 02, 2007 9:07 am

cdmilton wrote:Looks like you are off to a very good start! FWIW, You could get your swing through faster so you could cover the pole sooner and be more active in getting your shoulders under to get more out of the pole.

yeah.. the timing is all a little odd. both because this is a very new take off feeling, and because its only 3 lefts.. but yeah. thats def. something i need to work on
Brian Mondschein
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed May 02, 2007 6:23 pm

Thats looks so cool!! I even freeze framed it on the swing to notice the perfect free take off. The instant your toe is leaving the ground, the pole hits the back. Obviously its a small pole, but it still looks like it helps you transition to your jump very nicely. Very cool!!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

VTechVaulter
PV Lover

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Wed May 02, 2007 6:27 pm

thanks. there were some where i experimented with a pre jump... its very difficult as well. that drill was with an 11' step, on a few i took off at 12' just for kicks... its very tough to not be blocky when your that far out. .markov was just a freak...

i know when i got to my long run i will lose it a bit. im excited for next fall when i have months to drill it. right now im just ind of learning as i try to get back vaulting decently high for USA's and a small european campaign
Brian Mondschein
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed May 02, 2007 6:33 pm

Personally, i dont know whether i completely agree with a pre jump. I think if you are someone with a high take off angle it may help to gain those extra inches when the pole hits the back. But for myself and most jumpers, i presume, the moment your toe leaves the ground you want that energy going into the pole. Pre-jumping right now appears to me like a passive phase before adding energy. However this could change, because i seem to learn something knew or at least see things from a different light every day on this site!

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed May 02, 2007 6:34 pm

VTechVaulter wrote:thanks. there were some where i experimented with a pre jump... its very difficult as well. that drill was with an 11' step, on a few i took off at 12' just for kicks... its very tough to not be blocky when your that far out. .markov was just a freak...

i know when i got to my long run i will lose it a bit. im excited for next fall when i have months to drill it. right now im just ind of learning as i try to get back vaulting decently high for USA's and a small european campaign
Thats still very cool man, i cant wait to see how you do, good luck!

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Thu May 03, 2007 9:46 pm

thats awesome brian, im glad your back o a pole reguardless of how big(its still bigger than mine) haha but yeah, its looking good to! good luck in the remander of the season.
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

baggettpv
PV Master

Take off...

Unread postby baggettpv » Fri May 04, 2007 12:16 am

Petrov talked to me not about positions but of support. That is support of the ground on the foot and support of the pole after jumping off the ground. Both should not be happening at the same time ie support on the ground and the pole at the same time.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC
Good coaching is good teaching.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover

Re: Take off...

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Fri May 04, 2007 2:23 am

baggettpv wrote:Petrov talked to me not about positions but of support. That is support of the ground on the foot and support of the pole after jumping off the ground. Both should not be happening at the same time ie support on the ground and the pole at the same time.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

yeah, i need to dig around. i few of these i took off about a foot farther out. 11 is about an inch outside of vertical, 12 is wayyy out but out none the less
Brian Mondschein
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 pm

i have been fooling around with this same concept that you were working on in the videos and i was able to control an 11' step which for the short run should have been around 10'ish for verticle. it is very dificult to want to jump like that cause it is such a weird feeling when you take off that way but after about 300+ jumps like that i cant not do it even from a longer run. very helpful it sucks that i am out for a bit from a jumping accident i will see if i can find some video. this is a great topic and video for people to understand the petrov model of the takeoff
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:10 am

good morning

we just finished two camps at south carolina and that was one of the drills that produced the greatest results..

while using there 3/4 left "pop up' run, the same run they use for what rusty calls "flat backs" and t-mack uses for his superman drill.....

heres the Q's we used... run with tall body posture... and get the feet down of course..

use a three step plant rhythm... L R L "turn the pole over" so the tip is almost to the front (near the runway) of the box... always plant into the front part of the box... so the pole slides in...........the top grip is at eye level going up early..

and here was the real Q.. look at the tip of the pole and make sure you "touch in" with the pole tip at least 12" from the back of the box...

try to extend the arms up, reaching really high (not forward) and leave the ground BEFORE the pole hits the back of the box...

great drill brian...

dj

ps.... did anyone read where Isi said she was working on here run.......and that her approach was now 1 meter closer...
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”