We are doomed. Repent and ask for forgiveness.

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.

Do you repent?

I do
68%
I don't
32%

Total votes: 71

Carolina21
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.59

Unread postby Carolina21 » Tue May 01, 2007 10:42 am

Agapit,
Thanks for the slide by slide. Very informative, hopefully that cleared up the myth of pushing the pole.
-Rise to the occasion
PR: 18' 4.0

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Tue May 01, 2007 10:55 am

Carolina21 wrote:Agapit,
Thanks for the slide by slide. Very informative, hopefully that cleared up the myth of pushing the pole.

Don't kid yourself. :)
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Tue May 01, 2007 12:13 pm

I guess I'm just seeing something completely different from some of you guys, but it looks like in the video and the pics that he is putting a substancial amount of pressure upward with his bottom arm almost as if he's pushing it over his head. Sure, the arm is bent with the elbow pointing outward to his left, but I can't see the pulling you are so positive he's doing. Even in the pic where you say his bicep is clearly flexed, I can only see a very muscular arm.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it looks like he's keeping enough pressure with the bottom arm to set himself up for a well stretched reflex reaction with his torso. Good stuff! Amazing to watch!

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Tue May 01, 2007 1:27 pm

And by the way, how do you push the pole when you are off the ground? LOL.

I don’t believe that this is quite accurate. Your observation only holds true if he is hanging passively in space without any energy in informing his body mass.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Tue May 01, 2007 8:14 pm

AVC Coach wrote:I guess I'm just seeing something completely different from some of you guys, but it looks like in the video and the pics that he is putting a substancial amount of pressure upward with his bottom arm almost as if he's pushing it over his head. Sure, the arm is bent with the elbow pointing outward to his left, but I can't see the pulling you are so positive he's doing. Even in the pic where you say his bicep is clearly flexed, I can only see a very muscular arm.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it looks like he's keeping enough pressure with the bottom arm to set himself up for a well stretched reflex reaction with his torso. Good stuff! Amazing to watch!

Stop.

Why are you so attached to the push? What is the purpose of pushing the pole when you already in the air?

We are taking about saving precious hundreds of a second. I do not know how else to say this, 0.15 sec or 15% of the total inversion phase is a big deal. Push will take it away from you.

Would you agree that people jumped on the bamboo at 4.20m (13’8â€Â

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Tue May 01, 2007 10:11 pm

Here is my third installment of the experiment. And yes, I know I need to cut down some trees.

In both of these vaults the run, handgrip, and pole are the same: 4 lefts, 12’, and 14’ 160. I put my hands about 8â€Â

Carolina21
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.59

Unread postby Carolina21 » Tue May 01, 2007 11:16 pm

I tried the immeaditae pull in practice today and there is definately something there. I lost a little penetration, but I feel it more due to a hesitation caused from making a change than losing actual pole speed. One result I immeadiately noticed was a much more dynamic swing. After closely watching the video I think it can be argued Bubka pulls all the way. The force of the pole bend seems to be the factor that extends his left arm not his muscles.

Agapit,
Is the initial pull more with the lats than biceps? Or is the bicep and lower arm working from the first moment as well?
-Rise to the occasion
PR: 18' 4.0

AVC Coach
PV Lover

Unread postby AVC Coach » Wed May 02, 2007 7:18 am

You argue a good point agapit, but I just can't agree with you on this one. After watching Bubka again and again, I don't see what you're seeing. I see his center of mass continuing to accelerate after take-off, but I can't for the life of me see where he is pulling right off the ground.

I have a young vaulter (15 yrs old) that has a "free" take-off. When he pulls with his bottom arm he goes straight up with no penetration. When he gets his bottom arm up at the plant with a little upward pressure it's one of the smoothest, prettiest vaults we could hope for. I also have a young lady that is the fastest girl that I coach and she won't quit pulling right off the ground and she has jumped the same height (10'06") for the past 3 years with zero signs of improvement. I have tried everything to help her except a sports psychologist and a voodoo doll!

Now, before I "Stop", can you understand why your theory is hard for me to buy? Everything in your manifest makes perfect sense and I agree with you on all of it except this.

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Wed May 02, 2007 9:12 pm

AVC Coach wrote:You argue a good point agapit, but I just can't agree with you on this one. After watching Bubka again and again, I don't see what you're seeing. I see his center of mass continuing to accelerate after take-off, but I can't for the life of me see where he is pulling right off the ground.

I have a young vaulter (15 yrs old) that has a "free" take-off. When he pulls with his bottom arm he goes straight up with no penetration. When he gets his bottom arm up at the plant with a little upward pressure it's one of the smoothest, prettiest vaults we could hope for. I also have a young lady that is the fastest girl that I coach and she won't quit pulling right off the ground and she has jumped the same height (10'06") for the past 3 years with zero signs of improvement. I have tried everything to help her except a sports psychologist and a voodoo doll!

Now, before I "Stop", can you understand why your theory is hard for me to buy? Everything in your manifest makes perfect sense and I agree with you on all of it except this.

Your vaulters are very good (Spencer) and you are a very good coach, trust your instincts and go with what works.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Wed May 02, 2007 11:58 pm

Carolina21 wrote:Agapit,
Is the initial pull more with the lats than biceps? Or is the bicep and lower arm working from the first moment as well?

Give me $100,000 grant and I will find out. LOL.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Wed May 02, 2007 11:59 pm

Soar Like an Eagle wrote:
AVC Coach wrote:You argue a good point agapit, but I just can't agree with you on this one. After watching Bubka again and again, I don't see what you're seeing. I see his center of mass continuing to accelerate after take-off, but I can't for the life of me see where he is pulling right off the ground.

Your vaulters are very good (Spencer) and you are a very good coach, trust your instincts and go with what works.

I really admire that you are a student of the event. That's OK. 19'+ is still a winner. It may take time. It is pretty crazy stuff not very easy to grasp. I am just pushing your horizons. Every single thing I am saying has been used with athletes of different levels over period of about 15 years now, not counting my own vaulting.

AVC Coach
PV Lover

Unread postby AVC Coach » Thu May 03, 2007 6:52 am

I really admire that you are a student of the event. That's OK. 19'+ is still a winner. It may take time. It is pretty crazy stuff not very easy to grasp. I am just pushing your horizons. Every single thing I am saying has been used with athletes of different levels over period of about 15 years now, not counting my own vaulting.

You have pushed my horizons ever since I read your manifest. I'm a huge fan. I think we're all just trying to cheat gravity and this site allows us to share and test our theories and put together a collaborative effort to do so. Keep posting and we'll all keep learning!

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”