Training without coach

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
KYSEAMAN
PV Whiz
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 17'10.5
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud

Unread postby KYSEAMAN » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:35 pm

Well I will put my two cents in. Over here in Kentucky not many people pole vault, and since Chip Heuser (OU) left, there has been nobody in the state take it seriously on the boys side untill recently. I had no coach, and had no clue what the H*LL I was doing...and neither did anyone else around me. To make this long story short I watched film of myself, and bought the Beginner to Bubka videos by Allan Launder (Altius). I compared the two over and over, and watched that movie countless times. My PR increased about 4 feet in a a month and a half. The new DVD with Yelena is even better than the first one...BUY THEM I PROMISE THAT THEY ARE ALMOST AS GOOD AS HAVING AN ACTUAL COACH. It worked for me...might work for you
Follow me on Twitter @PVSeaman
www.takogrip.com - The ONLY pole vault grip tape.
Knoxville, TN

Siros
PV Nerd

Unread postby Siros » Tue May 01, 2007 2:15 am

Our track team doesn't even have a pole vaulting coach. Can someone give me a good place to get some drills and stuff? I just cleared 9ft and I'm trying to keep it consistent. The fun part is that I don't remember how I did it. I was thinking that maybe if I got some drills into my system and had a general idea of what I was doing than maybe I could do better.

BTW I'm a junior at Cape Henlopen High School in Lewes, DE and this is my first year pole vaulting and I'm totally loving it. I want to make states which is at 10ft, 6in. Thanks in advance for the help and I hope to stay here and learn more.

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Tue May 01, 2007 6:16 pm

Siros wrote:Our track team doesn't even have a pole vaulting coach. Can someone give me a good place to get some drills and stuff? I just cleared 9ft and I'm trying to keep it consistent. The fun part is that I don't remember how I did it. I was thinking that maybe if I got some drills into my system and had a general idea of what I was doing than maybe I could do better.

BTW I'm a junior at Cape Henlopen High School in Lewes, DE and this is my first year pole vaulting and I'm totally loving it. I want to make states which is at 10ft, 6in. Thanks in advance for the help and I hope to stay here and learn more.

polevaultpower.com is a fantastic resource, check it out!

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”