bench

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

ok

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Mon May 26, 2003 9:12 pm

cool, i think iv seen one of those before. that would be a useful thing to have, if u had the money.. :confused:

Ajint_Smith
PV Nerd

Unread postby Ajint_Smith » Mon May 26, 2003 10:30 pm

Yeah. We have 4 of them, but all of our money came from boosters.
The Matrix has you...

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Unread postby wayupthere » Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:47 am

im goin to be a soph in high school this year and i can bench 200 but weigh 170. Not great but ok. I do think weight lifting can help you a ton in the vault. Some may disagree but strength gives you confidence and power. Squats will make ur take off and run so much more powerful. Bench works your chest shoulders and triceps! why wouldnt you do it? As long as your not doing high reps and your doing low reps for strength thats good. Like someone said earlier just because you dont do that same movement in the vault as the bench you dont with the squat either. My dad told me that the weights were the best thing that ever happend to his vault and his push off was as good as it was because he was strong. I dont know this is just my opinion. Maybe I took it overboard but Im not saying lift 6 days a week were not bodybuilding here! STRENGTH!!!!! Just my 2 cents!
hmmmm

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:12 am

I agree with ash you cann't focus on just one exercise. My college vault coach actually banned me from the gym, He basically said your too dam big and you'll get enough wieght training from imitative gymnastics! It was the best thing that happend to me.

After I graduated from college I wanted to see just how big I could get. I never maxed out in the bench but my in workout all time max was 405. hip sled 1100. straight leg dead 500, lat pull 330. I wieghed 225 at 6'2" and 8% body fat. Now This was the strongest I had ever been and I never felt so out of shape when I would rock climb, mountain bike, or water ski. I couldn't efficiently move that much body mass on my frame.

Right now I bench about 275, wiegh 190 and can do all the sports I love. Because my strength comes from dynamic movements like gymnastics, pole vaulting, and water skiing.

The point is you need enough dynamic strength for your body type and wieght to get you into the positions you need to hit in a vault. how much you bench is realitvly irrelevant if it is used and aplied properly. In fact I think a lot of my difficulty in the vault (and other sports) was that I was too strong! I would muscle my way through things rather than learning the correct tech. Spend you off season hanging from a high, bar rope, water skiing, or rock climbing
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

pvjackex
PV Whiz

Unread postby pvjackex » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:35 pm

my teammates told me its best to stay light, so dont do alot of leg lifting, just more upper body, is this true?

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Lifting advice

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:59 am

A word to the wise:

Don't lift to get big. Lift to become explosive and powerful. Lifting is all about getting stronger, but not about how much weight you can pick up off the ground. Train your body to be at its strongest during the season and lift to maintain(not increase) that strength during the season. Getting huge and buff is a natural byproduct of becoming strong, but shouldn't be the reason you're lifting.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

Fo_Sheezy
PV Nerd

Unread postby Fo_Sheezy » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:59 am

I am going to be a senior and I weigh 130 lbs, and can bench the bar! ;)
I could probably do more, BUT I hate weights and try to aviod them as much as possible! :P
Hey is that a pole in your hand or are you just happy to see me?

PimpVaulter11
PV Fan

Unread postby PimpVaulter11 » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:42 pm

I weigh 170lbs.

Bench: 310
Power Clean: 295
Squat: 425

I weight room is where I used to live

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:41 pm

how much do people bench now? there are a lot more people now.

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:37 pm

16 years old.
last summer bench when i first started lifting like after a month: 135 weighed between 124-130
right now after not lifting in like 3 weeks. havnt ran since outdoor. and eating junk food. drinking bad drinks haha.
135.. weigh 128
does that qualify me as the weakest person here.. or at least the weakest boy?. in terms of bench at least.

o ya adn the most i ever squatted was 180 but i never maxed out. i do sets of like 8 with that. but ive stopped since ive been told i do them wrong or soemthing?. and also found out my right shoulder is liek an inch or so lower than my left from doing that heh.

in about a month or so or b4 school starts ill update this and ill be doing so much mor ein the bench i hope..
i run, therefore im buff.

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:23 pm

meh, I doubt I can bench that much...lol...and I weight 147ish....
All Hail the Legendary Sobe Beverage

Blackened Sun - My Personal Site

Vaulterchick88
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaulterchick88 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:19 pm

110 :confused:
"Life is not measured by the number of breath you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away"
- Anonymous

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”