Bemiller/Mack Model

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
vaultwest
PV Whiz
Expertise: college coach, masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaultwest » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:08 pm

First I was refering to personal conversations and his lecture at the Summit after the Olympics.

Secondly I think that if you study early Tim jumps ( Pre 2004) and his great jumps at the Trials, Olympics and final Grand Prix meets of 2004 one can see a big difference.

To support my view I would also say that if you look at Toby's best jumps you will see that his takeoff step is farther out on his best jumps. I talked to Toby about this and he knew that in the pressure cooker of the Olympics and the fatigue of that long competition he was feeling that he lost his better takeoff position at the final height and that he felt he could have had better results if he would have been able to keep his takeoff outside better. We all know how hard it is to keep ones techinque together in our own pressure situations which seem pretty tame compared to what one would feel in the Olympics. My point here is that I have also watched Toby closely over the years from his Stanford days to the present and I think his progression has mirrored improvements in his technique and physical attributes with the better takeoff ( Closer to Petrov Model) being a major part of his improvement.

I would also venture to say that in watching Jeff Hartwig one can see variations in his jumps from good days to bad days and I see a better / freer takeoff on his best jumps.

Just one old vaulters opinion
Vault On

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:57 pm

Since Bemiller is a lurker on this board, maybe he can definitively answer if his "model" was any different than the Petrov model.

I agree with vaultwest that Tim's technique was intentionally, or unintentionally, moving towards the Petrov model. But like 99% of all American vaulters who didn't begin their career training with this model, he had some bad habits that continued and continue to creep into his technique to this day...like his low hands on his pole carry...I can't tell on his 6.01 vault if his hands are low since the video is so tiny, but on his 5.90 from OT that's the first thing I notice.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:43 pm

Folks I am only responding to a direct question on a topic i initiated. That is a great photograph Jcoover - very close to the BTB image. but as you will note he is just a little bit out of alignment with the obvious recoil line of the pole. I am not surprised that it is brad - petrov told me in November he thought Brad was the closest US vaulter to his model. As you may have seen in another topic, after watching some video of him vaulting down under, I beleive that he can jump at least 6.10 this year -with luck - cause i dont want to put the mokkers on him!! :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:52 pm

[quote]It has been a while since I have seen “A Pole Vaulter’s Dreamâ€Â

jcoover
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Nicholas Panozzo

Unread postby jcoover » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:27 pm

altius wrote:Folks I am only responding to a direct question on a topic i initiated. That is a great photograph Jcoover - very close to the BTB image. but as you will note he is just a little bit out of alignment with the obvious recoil line of the pole. I am not surprised that it is brad - petrov told me in November he thought Brad was the closest US vaulter to his model. As you may have seen in another topic, after watching some video of him vaulting down under, I beleive that he can jump at least 6.10 this year -with luck - cause i dont want to put the mokkers on him!! :yes:

thanks! just the answer i was looking for!! :yes: :yes:
"We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" - John L Parker

JKSvault
PV Beginner

Unread postby JKSvault » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:21 pm

How do you know he wasn't trying to achieve a free take-off? You can't see his intentions on any video. I think this debate is becoming facetious.

I apologize for that last comment, I was in a rush when I wrote it and it did not come out the way I wanted it to. Based on the Athens video, Mack did not achieve a free take off, BUT as you stated earlier there is no way I can tell what his intentions were. I again apologize for the ignorant comment.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:48 am

Jcoover - I have had a look at the original photograph of Bubbie. This shows the stands and provides a better perspective - it looks to me as though even the body alignment is pretty well the same. If it were possible to overlay the two photographs - which i am sure one of our technologically endowed colleagues can do - I suspect the similarities would be very high.

For your efforts -if you send your details to sean brown at neovault.com I will ask him to send you a copy of the dvd we made after reno. :yes: You may find it interesting because i believe it contains a still of 17 year old Matt Filsell in a position that may be superior to either of those above!!!

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:48 pm

Hello

I’m not sure where I need to go with some last comments from me…

I apologize for some of the issues becoming a “pi$$$ing contestsâ€Â
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

WillinghamPV
PV Fan
Expertise: Current College Vaulter

Unread postby WillinghamPV » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:27 pm

soooooo........ does this mean everyone is going to stop throwing crap at each other now?

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:05 pm

Well willinghamPV - I can assure you that if your latest contribution to debate on this forum is your best effort, you are almost certainly going to have crap thrown at you!

Whether you understand this or not, folk are really searching for the truth here. Of course egos get involved and we all carry baggage of some kind or another but in the end a clearer understanding of the vault may emerge from the deeply held views put forward. If you read the posts on this topic carefully and think about them deeply - as deeply as you can of course - you too may begin to understand the key issues being debated and may even begin to build a coherent philosophy of the event as a result. Try it, you will like it. And have a good day! ;)

baggettpv
PV Master

I did, in 1986

Unread postby baggettpv » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:01 am

Just listen and try to not involve the ego. Yes there is one way to strive to do this thing...all others are compensations of faulty thought.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

whaddever
Good coaching is good teaching.

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:09 pm

I agree that Bubka’s early extension is an incredible athletic feat, but what happened after that was nearly always out of control. I believe that the wildness over the bar that Bubka exhibited is a necessary result of the early extension. Anyone athletic enough to achieve the position Alan alludes to in the photo on the cover of “Beginner to Bubkaâ€Â

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”