quick swinging

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
vballswimvault
PV Wannabe

quick swinging

Unread postby vballswimvault » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:58 am

what are the best drills to help get a quicker swing?
ive done rope/rings but they dont really help the speed of my swing... just the strength.

i feel like this is the only reason i cant get inverted... although i know i have a lot more work to do even after i get this.

pr:9'2''
second year
12' 130 lb pole

thanks a lot!

depvaulter
PV Beginner

Unread postby depvaulter » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:18 pm

It seems like the swing is a major problem in too many high school vaulters. I know what you mean and have a problem swinging as well. The rope and rings are great- keep using them. To get the speed you are looking for, I think a more technical approach is needed.
After a good take-off, the knee is driven up/forwards and the trail leg stays back. I say stays back because you should not pull it backwards. This creates seperation between the two legs and a good stretch. With your leg behind you, it is easier to whip it forward.
Check out some videos of world-class vaulters and pay attention to the seperation between their legs. Note that none of their trail legs are dangling below them, but are behind their bodies.
Bad days are for rain. Rainy days are whatever you make of them.

2-15-46
PV Pro

Re: quick swinging

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:55 pm

vballswimvault wrote:what are the best drills to help get a quicker swing?
ive done rope/rings but they dont really help the speed of my swing... just the strength.

i feel like this is the only reason i cant get inverted... although i know i have a lot more work to do even after i get this.

pr:9'2''
second year
12' 130 lb pole

thanks a lot!

keep on the rope and rings.... it'll come!!!
Bob

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:44 pm

Platform vaulting into a pit is a good drill. It let's you focus on the swing without that pesky take-off getting in the way.
wo xi huan cheng gan tiao.

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:57 pm

All I did was a ton of rope, high bar, and ring drills. Worked great for me. At first it only worked for strength, but after a while, it became easier and easier, and also quicker and quicker. The stronger your core the faster you can move it.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:03 pm

To get inverted doesnt require as much as people think, if people have the right form. It does require some ab strength and leg strength, but trying doing the rings like this:

swing your legs and arms opposite, so that you wont start swinging "swingset" style back and forth. You will stay in the same place, going from inverted "C" back and forth. When you have enough momentum, bring your trail leg back as far as you can with a little bend in your knee. All the muscles from your hands, down your arms, down your chest, down your legs should be stretched. swing all at once, using these contracted muscles, and it wont take much core strength to swing upside down. Experiment with the timing to decide when to bend at the hips and when to contract certain muscles. Once your timing is down, it doesnt require much to get inverted.

Too many vaulters will try to swing will no trail leg. Thats not fast, not fun, and not productive unless you are doing an ab workout. If you really arch your back and contract all your muscles, when you swing you will feel downforce on your hands. Thats what you need to add energy to the vault. good luck!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

swing

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:27 pm

The swing is really a rotational movement that is executed through the shoulders. Imagine a pin through your shoulders and hold a vertical rope as youwould your pole. With your foot directly below your top hand do not SWING but rotate your body as fast as you can until your left thigh is against the pole!!!!!! Give that a try and let us know what happens.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:28 am

Someone mentioned these videos from YouTube. I searched and found them and I personally think they are pretty good. One thing that can be said for sure is this girl really puts energy into the drills, and she does a great job of getting into a take off body position as part of the drills.

This one is on rings http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gn5LIiHmPlY
And this one on a rope http://youtube.com/watch?v=BeTPgONnrV0

- master

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:46 am

Those are great videos! She does a good job of modeling what you should look like. On a side note, Just remember what we said a few months ago in a thread- dont study any actual vaults or take notes of them unless they are from bubka or izi (i believe) or unless you know exactly what you are looking for. Too many U-tube videos are novice jumpers that, if studied, can make others form their bad habits as well.

As for drills, i think they are more easily mastered. This girl does it pretty well.

vballswimvault
PV Wannabe

Unread postby vballswimvault » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:49 pm

hey thanks a ton for all the replies, what a helpful group!

ill let you guys know how it goes once i apply that stuff at the meet wednesday :]

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:04 pm

Better yet, apply it in practice and make it a habit, that way in a meet you wont have to worry about changing your form as much ;).

un poco loca saltar
PV Fan

Unread postby un poco loca saltar » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:22 pm

theczar wrote:All I did was a ton of rope, high bar, and ring drills. Worked great for me. At first it only worked for strength, but after a while, it became easier and easier, and also quicker and quicker. The stronger your core the faster you can move it.

what is this 'high bar' that you are mentioning? I've seen it brought up a few times in other strings, but I'm lost to what it actually is....

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”