Gio calls out Toby - Mt. Sac Relays commercial

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:13 pm

I'm with Decanuck. I remember the days when boxers and other athletes dressed in suits for publicity interviews and treated their opponents respectfully. I miss those days. I don't take much interest in sports anymore.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:34 pm

Rhino wrote:I'm with Decanuck. I remember the days when boxers and other athletes dressed in suits for publicity interviews and treated their opponents respectfully. I miss those days. I don't take much interest in sports anymore.

I really respect this opinion and Decanuck's as well.

I do think it is important to remember that Gio and Toby are friends, and that this was all made in good humor. There was no disrespect.

It is also important to remember that track and field is a dying sport in America. Like it or not, for the health of the sport, we need ways to draw in the younger crowd. Video clips such as this are a great way of doing that.

One nice thing about the pole vault, is almost all of the elite athletes are pretty classy people. If the occasion arose where these athletes needed to wear suits and act like gentlemen, I am confident they could rise to the occasion.

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:57 am

I'm with Gio on this one. It's his home court and he's been jumping real well as of late...

I suggest anyone in the so-cal area to come to the Mt. Sac Relays to watch, its going to be a great event!
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

skyshark177
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby skyshark177 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:16 am

I just hope someone is there video taping this event to see the winner show off who's best.....or just show that he beat the other guy. All in good fun though.

That would be funny if the meet turned into a Toby vs. Gio competition. I'd get a kick out of that.

:)
SKYSHARKS

Spencer Chang, MD
PV Fan

Gio vs. Toby vs. Daichi too

Unread postby Spencer Chang, MD » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:12 am

I just had dinner with Brian Yokoyama. He says that both Giovani Lanaro and Daichi Sawano have been vaulting very well in practice at Mt. Sac. In fact, he said that he would be very disappointed if we don't see both a Japanese and Mexican National Record broken at Mt. Sac this weekend.

It's going to be an awesome competition featuring 3 premier vaulters. Don't miss it!!!
Check out the video Vault 2000. You may purchase it at SpringCo or On Track.

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:24 am

Nobody wants to see the PV become the NBA but a little fun trash talk between friends never hurt anyone. Lets face it we have to do something to promote the sport. You have at least three elite vaulters that could be setting 3 different national records and how many people will buy tickets to see it. I am an old redneck who doesn't like alot of things in sports now but at least they were trying something new, which of corse always brings out the critics.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:33 pm

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”