to start your run

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Sean/vaulter/naeS
PV Nerd

Unread postby Sean/vaulter/naeS » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:21 pm

I take one step back to gather then go into the runup. I never under stand the back and forth and back and forth a lot of people do, could someone explain that to me?
VAULTERS ARE A CRAZY CREW BUT ITS A FUN RIDE!

RoosterPV25
PV Fan
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Aspiring Elite Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40

Unread postby RoosterPV25 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:04 pm

I also take one step back and then just go. I think that one of the reasons that some people keep going back and forth is because they saw someone else do it and just picked it up. Then if they have a good jump, it just kind of sticks and becomes routine...I'm not defending it though, it pisses me off when i see it too.

Pole_vault'n
PV Beginner

Unread postby Pole_vault'n » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:40 pm

i'm still new........but i usually put pole on the ground adjust grip, practice a little knee drive put pole at a comfortable angle rock back onto my back foot and go, i try to never take more than 20sec's for the pre-run because then i start to doubt how high i can go. I think the only reason people rock back and forth is to gather focus..... i did it once during a practice and burst out laughing afterwards. so i only go back onto my foot now i'll post a video later on when i'm not a nEwB!~!

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:07 pm

i have ocd when it comes to my start i first start off checking my hand grips make sure the top of the pole is facing the right way i wait for the wind to die down, and then i take a step back and if it doesnt feel right to me i do it again and again and so on until the perfect take off and then i start out slow and my last 3 steps are almost a sprint
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

starting

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:50 pm

Hmmmm! Seems DJ got it right!! Oh the steppng back and forth and back and for and back and forth....that's technically known as Voodooo! If it doesn't contribute something to the performance of technically correct jump, it's a waste of energy!!

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:51 pm

you r correct
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

Srrycowz
PV Beginner

Unread postby Srrycowz » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:01 pm

I step one foot up and then bring it back and then go

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”