Video of me (first post!)

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Maximilian
PV Newbie

Video of me (first post!)

Unread postby Maximilian » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:25 am

Hey, here's a little video of me.

I'm currently a junior, 17, and have been vaulting for 2 years now.

This is at 14'6'' on a 14'6'' 165 pole, gripping at 14' (right below the weight number)

I know the angle is crap, but I wasn't aware I was being filmed at the time :)

The next three attempts are at 15' on a 15' 160 pole, holding at 14'3'', but they aren't as representative of my technique.

http://www.treemo.com/users/maximilian/channel/item/55557/

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:46 am

I thought the first jump looked great with a few things to work on. First, definitely need to work on running tall with high knees and hips under or slightly in front of your shoulders. The only other thing I might work on is trying to jump up a little more at takeoff...it looks like a good position but your trajectory just seems kind of flat. Otherwise, the trail leg and invert and all that look really good! Keep up the good work!

Carolina21
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.59

Unread postby Carolina21 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:46 am

Yes, you definately need to work on some 'front-side' running mechanics. As your foot leaves the ground after strike you will notice your foot moves almost straight upwards. Watch some top level sprinters, or even Bubka and notice how when they run their foot moves almost directly forward after strike, this is the most efficient way to run and would greatly improve your running efficiently and lead to a faster approach and allow you to jump up better at your takeoff instead of falling into it. Correct this and you will clear 15' with ease.
-Rise to the occasion
PR: 18' 4.0

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Re: Video of me (first post!)

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:38 am

Maximilian wrote:Hey, here's a little video of me.

I'm currently a junior, 17, and have been vaulting for 2 years now.

This is at 14'6'' on a 14'6'' 165 pole, gripping at 14' (right below the weight number)

I know the angle is crap, but I wasn't aware I was being filmed at the time :)

The next three attempts are at 15' on a 15' 160 pole, holding at 14'3'', but they aren't as representative of my technique.

http://www.treemo.com/users/maximilian/channel/item/55557/

You look very good, improve your running mechanics like Cooleo111 and Carolina21 said and you will continue to improve. I think you would have made 15’0â€Â

Maximilian
PV Newbie

Unread postby Maximilian » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:08 pm

Thanks for the comments guys/girls. I will be posting some more videos as I go to meets. I realize that this isn't supposed to replace a coach, but my coach died tragically last week and I just want to keep getting instruction.

wurster490
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 5.51m

Unread postby wurster490 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:52 pm

Other than the run, you should also consider the position of your arms while running, they tend to be very far back, so when you get up to the takeoff its a little late. Think about getting your arms moving up and infront of you, not blocking or whatever you want to call it, but just being tall and early. You seem to be planting off to the side, and you get away with it on the softer pole, but when the pole gets stiffer you run into problems. Other then that you look like once you get these things figured out you'll get some good heights. Good luck! And if you don't know what I mean by the arms, also refer to a video or Bubka, or Markov.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”