FEET LEFT THE GROUND--IS IT A MISS?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Leaving the ground

Unread postby drcurran » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:54 pm

This situation really gets my blood boiling! The rule states if the vaulter leaves the ground in an attempt! If the official cannot tell the difference between an attempt to vault and an attempt to stop, then get the official a stop watch and send them over to the finish line to help out with timing! Think about this. As soon as a vaulter starts to run he / she has left the ground (running both feet are off the ground) so by some officials interpretation of the rule once you start running you can't abort.
I am so glad that the NCAA have aligned their rules to be the same as the IAAF ( in this case) if the vaulter leaves the ground but does not break the "plane" and make contact beyond the plane they the vaulter is still "alive" and on the clock! OK I feel better now!

Dan
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!
TK

gtc
PV Whiz

Unread postby gtc » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:53 am

WillinghamPV wrote:in Missouri if both feet leave the ground it is counted as a scratch

No it isn't!

OLD CATAPOLER
PV Newbie

Unread postby OLD CATAPOLER » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:31 am

Help me out here gtc!
I have officiated MSHSAA meets for years and each year I ask the head field event judge and starter about the "official" interpretation of this rule,
each year the same answer-the above situation is a miss!
I have advocated a change or openess to judgement of this rule and had been told there was discussion but as of now there is no change. If you know of any change or discussion of change please let me know! The officials I mentioned above serve those rolls at the state meet so I feel I am getting acurate updating.
I agree totally that this should be a judgement call (just as a pole release with a tailwind).

gtc
PV Whiz

Unread postby gtc » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:09 am

You need to keep in mind "these" officials also stood and watched as the bar was incorrected place at the wrong height on numerous occasions the last few years at the state meet. Just because they officiate at the state meet does not mean they can correctly interpret rules and certainly does not mean they can run a good meet. Unfortunately they are the last word. A year or so ago this rule was made a point of emphasis nationally I thought. If the vaulter leaves the ground " in an attempt" to clear the bar it constitutes a jump. So if the vaulter is clearly trying to put on the brakes and stop and puts the pole into the box to try and decelerate so as not to touch anything past the plane of the box and their toes come a few inches off the ground this is clearly not an attempt to clear the bar!
I know this used to always be called an attempt but again it was made a point of emphasis a year or so ago to clear up this interpretation. (I thought) I haven't seen it happen at the state meet since it was "clarified"

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:53 am

Whenever I go to the NFHS website to find something I get very frustrated. First of all, they should have a rules book and a case book online available for everyone to see. They would still sell the printed version that every head coach should have with him/her at the meets. But for situations just like this, NFHS should make it easy for any coach, assistant coach, parent or athlete to look up what the rule says and then see if they (NFHS) has made a "case" ruling on the rule which is intended to clarify by example.

A few years ago I was able to find on their website a document of changes to rules, but now I can't even find that without paying a fee by becoming a member or purchasing their books.

- master

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:16 pm

I was at a seminar back in 2004 where Jan Johnson (who helped write the rule) clarified this rule . He stated that its only a miss if the vaulter leaves the ground with intent to make an attempt at the bar. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Please also note that stepping up onto the front buns does not count as a miss. Only is something is touched past the back of the box.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:44 pm

ashcraftpv wrote:I was at a seminar back in 2004 where Jan Johnson (who helped write the rule) clarified this rule . He stated that its only a miss if the vaulter leaves the ground with intent to make an attempt at the bar. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Please also note that stepping up onto the front buns does not count as a miss. Only is something is touched past the back of the box.

So why doesn't NFHS publish those statements as a case ruling so it can be easily seen and referred to? That would seem to put this one to rest once and for all! As I say that, I have to admit I haven't read the past two case books for any clarification of rules that apply to pole vault. However, if it were in there, I would think someone on here would know about it and quote it.

- master

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:05 am

master wrote:
ashcraftpv wrote:I was at a seminar back in 2004 where Jan Johnson (who helped write the rule) clarified this rule . He stated that its only a miss if the vaulter leaves the ground with intent to make an attempt at the bar. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

So why doesn't NFHS publish those statements as a case ruling so it can be easily seen and referred to? That would seem to put this one to rest once and for all! As I say that, I have to admit I haven't read the past two case books for any clarification of rules that apply to pole vault. However, if it were in there, I would think someone on here would know about it and quote it.

- master

NFHS 2003 Rules Book/Case Book Pole Vault Rulings And Interpretations by Robert J. Wahl, PIAA/NFHS Official
You can download this complete document.

I got this information from USA Pole Vault Initiative website.

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:35 pm

Soar Like an Eagle wrote:NFHS 2003 Rules Book/Case Book Pole Vault Rulings And Interpretations by Robert J. Wahl, PIAA/NFHS Official
You can download this complete document.

I got this information from USA Pole Vault Initiative website.

See if this is what you are referring to http://www.pvei.com/documents/Rules%20Interpretations.htm#FAILED Look at 7.5.29/H.
If so, this doesn't seem to address the new wording of "in an attempt". It does specifically address the issue of allowing the pole tip to be planted in the box. I hope someone can find somewhere a similar "clarification" or "case book" ruling on the wording of "in an attempt".

- master

WillinghamPV
PV Fan
Expertise: Current College Vaulter

Unread postby WillinghamPV » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 pm

gtc wrote:
WillinghamPV wrote:in Missouri if both feet leave the ground it is counted as a scratch

No it isn't!

tell that to the official who gave me a scratch last year at sectionals

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:39 pm

Last night at practice I read the current case book and there was no example to help clarify this issue. I re-read the rule book also and it still states (as it has for the last several years),
It is a foul if the competitor: Leaves the ground in an attempt and fails to clear the crossbar.

- master

pvchick
PV Nerd
Expertise: college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'10.5

Unread postby pvchick » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:51 pm

in illinois--at the meets ive gone to as long as you dont hit the mat its ok. but i dont know if they do it differently at state or anything. they are pretty lenient tho. some girl left the ground with both feet--skimmed the mat and they still didnt count it as a miss. but whatev...

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”