Average High School Boy/girl?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:28 pm

your saying that 2 are over 17', nad 16 are over 16'. does that mean, that there are 2 over 17' and 14 people in the 16-16'11" group? like if you do it like that then it goes

2 at 17' range
14 at 16' range
37 at 15' range
114 at 14 range
210 at 13 range
and only 91 at the 12 foot range?

just wondering but good quick math skills on that.. i knew algebra I would come in handy at one point or another. but 12 9 is about average it seems like..
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

prvaulter11
PV Newbie

Unread postby prvaulter11 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:26 am

My 8 step PR is currently 10ft, im a high school sophmore.

munsoned
PV Wannabe

Average

Unread postby munsoned » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:27 am

Hey Marissa, your PR will go up if you continue to jump at your takeoff
"Get busy living or get busy dying"

middlelb
PV Newbie

Unread postby middlelb » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:34 pm

Here's a perspective.

The "average" at Nike Indoors last year was about 15'5". At Nike Outdoors it was about 15'3".

At a different level, just for example, the "averages" at the Ohio and Pennsylvania State Championships last year were about 13'8" and 13'2", respectively. I'm sure some states were higher and others were lower.

Based on these numbers I'd have to estimate the average HS PV to be (well?) below 13', even if you throw out the beginners.

ILUVPOLEVAULT
PV Wannabe

Unread postby ILUVPOLEVAULT » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:30 pm

Beyond what anything has been said. It shows that you are from california. California and texas have some of the highest vaulters in the nation. I would have to say from my own experience in vaulting that the average for most girls in california has grown higher over the past couple of years. i would have to say that out of the people who take polevault seriously and its their main event, around ten feet is the average for girls these days. Ten is a good hieght but it seems like more and more people are able to clear it. i mean, we see girls going over 13' and its normal. I would say that in california...ten feet is average if your only including the girls that really put effort into the vault.
You have got to love sometimes, what there only is to hate

RBvaulter17
PV Beginner

Unread postby RBvaulter17 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:25 am

Guys=12-13
Girls=8-9

but and Rb Emily Matton=12+
TAKE LIFE BY THE POLE!!!!!

JumpinSkiing
PV Nerd

Unread postby JumpinSkiing » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:57 pm

NH State last year.

13'6'
12'6'

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:56 pm

ILUVPOLEVAULT wrote:Beyond what anything has been said. It shows that you are from california. California and texas have some of the highest vaulters in the nation. I would have to say from my own experience in vaulting that the average for most girls in california has grown higher over the past couple of years. i would have to say that out of the people who take polevault seriously and its their main event, around ten feet is the average for girls these days. Ten is a good hieght but it seems like more and more people are able to clear it. i mean, we see girls going over 13' and its normal. I would say that in california...ten feet is average if your only including the girls that really put effort into the vault.

Its growing because people are realizing how much fun and how challenging pole vaulting is. Also, generally speaking, a decent athlete can get a scholarship pole vaulting if they dedicate themselves. because it doesnt take just one body type to vault 11' for a girl or 14' for a boy. Anyone who really loves the sport and dedicates all their time to it can go that high and get a scholarship. Other sports, i believe, are harder. Take basketball for example. First of all, theres only what, 15 or so kids on a basketball team? and how many high schoolers compete for those spots in college? while in pole vaulting lets just be honest, there isnt as much competition. But as the sport grows and 12' becomes GOOD and not GREAT for a girl, just as 15' may be for guys, it will be a lot harder to be the best.

Personally i would rather see 100,000 vaulters in the country and never have a shot at a scholarship because everyone is so good, rather than have only a few thousand pole vaulters in the country and have being #1 in the nation be "pretty good".
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Vault Chick
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Unread postby Vault Chick » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:00 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:
ILUVPOLEVAULT wrote:Beyond what anything has been said. It shows that you are from california. California and texas have some of the highest vaulters in the nation. I would have to say from my own experience in vaulting that the average for most girls in california has grown higher over the past couple of years. i would have to say that out of the people who take polevault seriously and its their main event, around ten feet is the average for girls these days. Ten is a good hieght but it seems like more and more people are able to clear it. i mean, we see girls going over 13' and its normal. I would say that in california...ten feet is average if your only including the girls that really put effort into the vault.

Its growing because people are realizing how much fun and how challenging pole vaulting is. Also, generally speaking, a decent athlete can get a scholarship pole vaulting if they dedicate themselves. because it doesnt take just one body type to vault 11' for a girl or 14' for a boy. Anyone who really loves the sport and dedicates all their time to it can go that high and get a scholarship. Other sports, i believe, are harder. Take basketball for example. First of all, theres only what, 15 or so kids on a basketball team? and how many high schoolers compete for those spots in college? while in pole vaulting lets just be honest, there isnt as much competition. But as the sport grows and 12' becomes GOOD and not GREAT for a girl, just as 15' may be for guys, it will be a lot harder to be the best.

Personally i would rather see 100,000 vaulters in the country and never have a shot at a scholarship because everyone is so good, rather than have only a few thousand pole vaulters in the country and have being #1 in the nation be "pretty good".

Oh, that's interesting, I never thought of it that way.
PR: 10'8" (so far!)
Chico State Track + Field!

snow26
PV Wannabe

Unread postby snow26 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:26 pm

it def is based on region, for MD i would say 9' for boys, 7' for girls but for states it probably 11' for boys 8' for girls, to win states about 13', in fact that is what one in each class excep for one, 13'1''
PR: 11'0'' - 3.35m

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”