critique my video

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
mr_snoops
PV Newbie

Unread postby mr_snoops » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:16 pm

Just like to say that I wrestle, so I have to way in before every match. So, I'd like a clearer explanation of weighing in. Is one allowed to weigh in in just one's underwear, or must one wear the uniform one will be wearing when one will vault? Additionally, would it be a good idea to be like a wrestle and cut weight to make weight for a certain pole? For example, I weigh a little over 160, but 160 was my wrestling weight. Should I cut down to 160 just to get a 160 pole?
To learn all about me, watch "Baby Snakes" by Frank Zappa

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:35 pm

you weigh in what you compete in.....and ideally you want to be vaulting on poles over your weight, not only for safety, but you will be able to vault higher.

As far as cutting weight to get onto a pole, that is something that you have to decide based on your pole selection, how much you are planning on losing, and if it is healthy to lose the weight. Talk to your trainer or possibly a nutrition/health teacher in your school about it.
Man Up and Jump

plvltngdude
PV Wannabe

Unread postby plvltngdude » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:08 am

And unlike wrestling where you can weight in naked you have to wear what your going to jump in so that means a couple more pound you would have to spit.

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:24 am

The rule in Florida states that the vaulter's body weight must not exceed the pole's rating. The body does not include clothes or shoes. Officials might try to make you wear shoes, but the rules don't require it.

jcoover
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Nicholas Panozzo

Unread postby jcoover » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:14 am

instead of worrying about cutting weight, you should be focusing on improving your takeoff so that you don't have to worry about cutting weight.
"We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" - John L Parker

euroeva
PV Fan

Unread postby euroeva » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:51 pm

well I'll give a critiq. What i noticed is that you look at the bar. I dot he same but you should look at something else. Maybe a tree or a post something that is up, so when you jump you don't look at the bar. Second thing is, you don't swing all the way up. You do like the typical beginner thing. Swing to w/e position that gets you over the bar. You should do leg lifts in the monkey bar or high bar to develop your hip flexors/abs. It really helps doing these drills b/c you need to ahve strong abs to bring yuor legs above your shoulder. Doing 3 sets of 5 each day should help if you do them until the end of the season. So when you jump just think of shooting your legs up even higher. Easier said than done.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”