critique my video

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:32 pm

ipolevault wrote:Ah, yes, this is what i was trying to say, that lowering your hand grip increases the weight of the pole. They don't check weights in high school, and I guess if you're vaulting in college or beyond, you should be on a pole that "weighs" more than you anyway

They DO check weights in high school, or at least they are supposed to.

Vault Chick
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Pole weight

Unread postby Vault Chick » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:51 pm

Yes, trust me, they definetely check weight in High School. On pretty big invitationals, they have my coach sign off how much I weigh, and also at section championships I had to weigh in just to vault on a 115 pole I was using. (I weighed at 114.7!!!) Anyways, right now I got my weight down to 110, and am on a 120 pole.

By the way, ipolevault, what camp of Jan's did you go to??? Was it the summer one in Atascadero, beacause I have gone to that one for the past 2 years. Also, where about in CA u from?
PR: 10'8" (so far!)
Chico State Track + Field!

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:24 pm

In Oregon for most regular meets, the head coach is required to submit a document certifying his team's vaulters weight and that they will use poles rated above that figure. At district and state championships, each vaulter is weighed, in their vaulting attire, about an hour before competition and they have the poles they expect to use with them. The officials mark the poles and record on the sheet used to record the jumps, the pole identification.

The first year they weighed vaulters, they allowed them to weigh in multiple times. So an over weight vaulter could go sweat, strip, piss or puke :eek: their way down to weight. That was changed very quickly. Now vaulters get one chance on the scale.

- master

ipolevault
PV Fan

Re: Pole weight

Unread postby ipolevault » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:46 am

Vault Chick wrote:Yes, trust me, they definetely check weight in High School. On pretty big invitationals, they have my coach sign off how much I weigh, and also at section championships I had to weigh in just to vault on a 115 pole I was using. (I weighed at 114.7!!!) Anyways, right now I got my weight down to 110, and am on a 120 pole.

By the way, ipolevault, what camp of Jan's did you go to??? Was it the summer one in Atascadero, beacause I have gone to that one for the past 2 years. Also, where about in CA u from?

Well, I don't know, maybe not here then. I've been vaulting for a couple years, and I've never heard of them checking weights in my league. I went to the winter camps the past two years, Vault Chick. i live in San Francisco. I am going to the summer one this year though, so maybe i'll see you there.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:36 am

ipolevault wrote:Well, I don't know, maybe not here then. I've been vaulting for a couple years, and I've never heard of them checking weights in my league.

It's a national rule. They probably just don't strictly enforce it in your area until you get to districts or state.

skyshark177
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby skyshark177 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:15 am

I remember hearing one time here in Michigan that at a particular state meet when the weight issue was enforced harder, that they actually had each vaulter before the competition or the day before weigh in on a scale at the school where the state meet was held. Then the official would mark each vauter’s pole that the vaulter could use according to their weight on the scale. I heard it was a mess for some vaulters.

Whether it was true or not, I can't say.
SKYSHARKS

Vault Chick
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Unread postby Vault Chick » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:37 pm

i live in San Francisco. I am going to the summer one this year though, so maybe i'll see you there.[/quote]

Cool, I'm going to the summer camp this year too, so I'll see ya there! Ya, I live about an hour east of SF.
PR: 10'8" (so far!)
Chico State Track + Field!

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:11 pm

skyshark177 wrote:I remember hearing one time here in Michigan that at a particular state meet when the weight issue was enforced harder, that they actually had each vaulter before the competition or the day before weigh in on a scale at the school where the state meet was held. Then the official would mark each vauter’s pole that the vaulter could use according to their weight on the scale. I heard it was a mess for some vaulters.

Whether it was true or not, I can't say.

that probably happened. I weighed in both days of the state competition. They marked my poles both days.
Man Up and Jump

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:27 pm

They weigh the kids when they check their poles at the WA state meet. The rest of the meets we just had to turn in a form certifying the weights of the kids and the sizes of their poles. They did the same in IL when I coached there for 2 years.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

tigervaulter727
PV Whiz

Unread postby tigervaulter727 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:10 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
ipolevault wrote:Ah, yes, this is what i was trying to say, that lowering your hand grip increases the weight of the pole. They don't check weights in high school, and I guess if you're vaulting in college or beyond, you should be on a pole that "weighs" more than you anyway

They DO check weights in high school, or at least they are supposed to.

they do for us!

euroeva
PV Fan

Unread postby euroeva » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:48 pm

this guy asked for a video critique and out of all the responses there is only one.

ipolevault
PV Fan

Unread postby ipolevault » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:32 am

Haha, I was just about to post saying that. Its okay though, at least we're talking about something relevant to vaulting. And I learned stuff about weights and whatnot.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”