How To: Rope Vaulting

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:52 pm

I think anything relating to pole vaulting is ok, in moderation. Your main focus should be vaulting, but if rope vaulting, doing front and backflips off a pole, rings, and gymnastics give you a better sense of the vault you should do them. Just dont spend too much time with it, because we arent purely gymnasts. What we do is much harder than that :P.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:06 pm

Better hope no gymnasts read that......i hear of a lot of gymnasts becoming good vaulters, but not to many vaulters becoming gymnasts
Man Up and Jump

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:39 pm

Lol yea of course im j/k. To someone who trains purely for the gymnastic portion of vaulting, vaulting is im sure a lot harder than gymnastics. For someone who has vaulted half their life, im sure doing a backflip with 2 twists on the floor is pretty difficult.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:32 am

I'm going to have to agree with Rick here. Any rope vaulting we did was purely for fun and not done very often. I've found the timing and feel of the swing during rope vaults to be a lot different than on the pole.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:09 am

ashcraftpv wrote:I'm going to have to agree with Rick here. Any rope vaulting we did was purely for fun and not done very often. I've found the timing and feel of the swing during rope vaults to be a lot different than on the pole.

so other than actual vaulting, what methods did you use to train the top of your vault as far as positioning? Underwater vautling?
Man Up and Jump

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Unread postby superpipe » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:15 pm

This is one of the best rope vault drills I've ever seen:

http://www.skyjumpers.com/pages/Swinging_Drills.html
- See "Rope Swing Drill" at the bottom of the page.

The following drill can also be done with just a rope and starting from atop a ladder or scaffolding:

http://www.skyjumpers.com/pages/pulling ... rills.html
- See "Kasey B. Ring Vault" at the top of the page

The "Kasey B. Ring Vault" drill is great for training the end of the vault where you pull/turn/push. This drill is great for body awareness and getting the correct feel for the end of the vault. Unless you're a miracle child, just plain pole vaulting makes it extremly difficult to correctly learn this "end" part of the vault. In real vaulting you don't want to curl your legs into the fetal position and kick up, but you still get alot out of the drill.

Just my opinions.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:11 pm

VaultMarq26 wrote:so other than actual vaulting, what methods did you use to train the top of your vault as far as positioning? Underwater vautling?

I'm not a big proponent of "training" the top of the vault. I focus more on the plant, takeoff, and swing. No point in practicing something if you can't get there!

underwater vaulting works well, I also think a good "modified" rope swing is another good tool. you're doing the same thing as in the first video linked to above (just swinging, not vaulting), but the bottom of the rope is rigged into a triangle with some broken pole and clamp.

bad illustration:

this puts the hands and arms in a similar position as a real jump, so you can run, takeoff, swing and 1/4 turn on the rope over and over again. (don't let go). one of my favorites, plus its a great workout too
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:34 pm

I agree with Ash on both rope vaulting and the foundation of the sequence of phases before the top. We use to rope vault more for fun than anything else. There is a little bit of a similar pressure feeling coming off the top when you reach the peak of your swing on the rope.

I summarized my training advice for it in a similar post, just my two cents.

http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=11091
wo xi huan cheng gan tiao.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”