What distance for your mid mark?

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
euroeva
PV Fan

Unread postby euroeva » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:51 pm

how do you figure out your mid mark? Is it your run divided by two. My run is 66 ft from 7 lefts.

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:59 pm

No, your steps get longer as you build up to speed. DJ's chart works for me, but I am an average sized male. If you do your run on the track planting into a towel have someone check your step six steps (or four steps if you use a short run) from takeoff. Establish some consistency, then see if it is the same when you vault.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

mid mark

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:39 pm

There are a number of ways to find your mid mark. DJ's chart is a terrific place to begin. The numbers represent the placement of the take-off foot relative to the grip height. It also gives you the appropriate (6 stride mark) mid for that grip.

DJ showed me an ingenious method of getting your mid which I'll share here. Take a towel and place it on the track. Run back and have someone catch your 4th left (for a 7 left approach). Mark that spot. Pour some water on the towel (lots). Go back to where you marked your spot and run towards the towel counting down from 7. You will hit the wet towell on your 4th left. Then you will make water marks every time your left foot hits the ground and you will be able to see your last or 7th left on the track. Measure from your starting mark to the third wet toe mark from the towel. That is your step with mid from start to take off!!! Way cool!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”