hamstring/college scouting

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:41 pm

tikrapt wrote:sooo basically you can suck all the way through indoor of your senior year (or be hurt... BLAH) and as long as you kick a** at some point you can stil get in wherever? just not as much oportunity for scholarship money because by may most of its gone

Umm in theory, but that sounds like a mightly big IF, and I would definitely not plan my college experience around it.

Most people who have major injuries don't come back and PR by a few feet a few months later.

tikrapt
PV Wannabe

Unread postby tikrapt » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:59 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
tikrapt wrote:sooo basically you can suck all the way through indoor of your senior year (or be hurt... BLAH) and as long as you kick a** at some point you can stil get in wherever? just not as much oportunity for scholarship money because by may most of its gone

Umm in theory, but that sounds like a mightly big IF, and I would definitely not plan my college experience around it.

Most people who have major injuries don't come back and PR by a few feet a few months later.

sounds good. not plan college on it. got into all the places i applied without vaulting and several of them already said i can vault next year with what i have done. now im just looking to have that option with all of them and maybe a few other places i like but didnt apply to.

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:13 am

tikrapt wrote:
rainbowgirl28 wrote:
tikrapt wrote:so is it possible for a coach to sneak your application in after the app. deadline? and what about the may 1 deadline to let colleges know of your attendance or now... can they pull that string too?

Yes, and the latter is not an issue at most schools if you are going to be an athlete there.

sooo basically you can suck all the way through indoor of your senior year (or be hurt... BLAH) and as long as you kick a** at some point you can stil get in wherever? just not as much oportunity for scholarship money because by may most of its gone

I'm not saying that you can suck, if your injuried, thats a different story. The kid that came here had jumped about 15'6" or so in the middle of indoor, he was just initially going to go somewhere else, then changed his mind.

UV vaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby UV vaulter » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:55 pm

I got a scholarship for jumping 13'6'' in highschool. In utah we dont even have an indoor season for the highschool arena. but still after outdoor sesason the coaches saw that i was pretty goood and that i lookd like i could improve. and after my first indoor season i am now up 1 foot on my pr from highschool. so even if you dont do really good you can still get a scholarship if there is a hint that you could improve.
P.S. (tim mack only had a 13'6'' vault out of highschool and look where he is at)
UV FOR LIFE!

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”