Butt plug hazard

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Butt plug hazard

Unread postby izzystikchik » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:38 pm

Hey-o

So i took a recent inventory on my poles this week, and i noticed that some of the butt plugs are really worn down. One is so worn down that the pole is partially sticking out a bit.
Question:

1. Is this at all an alarm? How long can i go without a new one?
2. Does this comprimse the pole's ability?

thanks

SweetPVJumps
PV Whiz

Unread postby SweetPVJumps » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:46 pm

i do not know the answers to those questions. but apparently worn down end pieces (i refuse to say butt plugs ;) )arent so good, cuz when i had one once, with the end of the pole showing, i ignored it, but when a fellow vaulter noticed she said thats not safe i shouldnt vault on that pole with that badly damaged end piece, and my coach agreed, so i just ordered a new one online and all was well after that

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:32 am

It's not a big deal until the pole busts through. Keep an eye on them and replace them when it looks like the pole is getting close to breaking it all the way.

Definitely do NOT jump with a plug in which the pole has completely busted through.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”