Types of Poles

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

What type of pole do you like the best?

Pacer
29%
UCS Spirit
40%
Sky Pole
3%
Nordic
3%
ESSX
23%
Rocket
1%

Total votes: 86

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:45 am

I'm sure it was "Lerc." I just guessed at the spelling. BTW the Polish vaulter was truly awful, even on my poles, so I really cannot say anything definitive about the virtues of the Lerc. I just know that at least one vaulter intensley hated them.

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:45 am

It doesn’t matter what color a pole is or how it is taped; the design is everything. And I have known many top level vaulters who have had their poles engeneered by the manufacturer to fit their own design specs. This is one of the ways manufactuers refine their designs. They tinker with them in collaboration with their best jumpers.

I prefer Essx because it is designed to bend more in the handle, which accommodates my low takeoff angle and long drive and swing. It is manufactured by Bruce Caldwell, and he and Paul Richards built the best pole I have ever held in my hands. The Maxima Four pole in this video was engineered to fit my jump. (And he was the only one generous enough to custom make poles for someone jumping as realtively low as I was back then.) It is sort of a proto-Essx in that it bends a lot more in the five feet beneath my top hand than it does in the rest of the pole, especially at takeoff.

http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/vie ... php?t=9325

hotdam
PV Newbie

accelerator

Unread postby hotdam » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:21 pm

whatever happened to the old accelerator poles? i've jumped on every pole out there, and i still think those babies were the smoothest. i don't know if i could have jumped incredibly high on them, but for some reason they just felt sooooo much smoother than anything else. maybe some of the fossils in the forum (sorry guys) have some knowledge about them and what heppened to them...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: accelerator

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:22 pm

hotdam wrote:whatever happened to the old accelerator poles? i've jumped on every pole out there, and i still think those babies were the smoothest. i don't know if i could have jumped incredibly high on them, but for some reason they just felt sooooo much smoother than anything else. maybe some of the fossils in the forum (sorry guys) have some knowledge about them and what heppened to them...

http://polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6050
http://polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8593

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:18 pm

national record holders jump on pacer carbons :P
pain is only temporary victory is forever

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:40 pm

And Altius poles :-P.
I like most any pole, however altius seem more smooth to me than others for some reason....
I know that i will probably avoid jumping on yellow catapoles, however, seeing as one summer i broke 2 beautiful 1970's catapoles in 2 consecutive jumps. They were 14' 135 and 140's. I only weighed 130 and i gripped 12'9.... you see in videos i didnt bend them too much, it was just their time to go :(.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:16 pm

nitro wrote:national record holders jump on pacer carbons :P

The MEN's national record holder jumps on PC's. The WOMEN's national record was set on UCS Spirits.

Wait a second...... what pole was both the current men's and women's WORLD record set on??? :D

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”