Good Vaults Gone Bad

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:38 pm

This past year in training, took the bar down with my quads, hit it on the way up, and didn’t kick it out of the way on the fall down... it hit the mat, then I landed on it, I caught it in the head, where the neck meets the skull, giving my self a mild concussion...

SweetPVJumps
PV Whiz

Unread postby SweetPVJumps » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:20 pm

i guess i finally got a good vault gone bad semi-worth mentioning. the other day i completely missed the box planting, havent done that in a loooooong time, so i think the pole planted on the ground or against the mat instead.
i held on until the pole unbent, but when i finally let go to land on the ground with my feet, the unbending of the pole rocketed me off. there was so much momentum i was stumbling fast and nearly out of control off to the side into an unexpected obstacle course...in my stumbing i had to avoid landing on the pole vault standard, then running into a diving board, then a tree (i couldnt avoid it completely though, one branch got in my way), then i finally stopped myself against a boulder. luckily i didnt have enough momentum to keep stumbling after that, it would have resulted into an unexpected swim in the green muddy pond :P

Sean/vaulter/naeS
PV Nerd

Unread postby Sean/vaulter/naeS » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:27 pm

At a practice my friend went up on a warm up pole that he doesn't even vault on and bent the crap out of it landed 4 feet outside of the box on his feet with the pole at full bend. it didnt turn out so good it launched him seven feet in the air and he landed hard in the grass on the side.

My Record...
2 broken poles
3broken cross bars
one broken standard
two bent standards
and a pole bag
VAULTERS ARE A CRAZY CREW BUT ITS A FUN RIDE!

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:21 pm

Sean/vaulter/naeS wrote:My Record...
and a pole bag

what happened with the pole bag? :confused:
Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars

2-15-46
PV Pro

me??

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:34 am

I broke a bamboo pole in 1959........then jumped on a steel pole.... landed in a pit full of sandburs from 13 plus.... some pits were blown away so you had a crater to land in. so if you jumped 13 you were falling 14 in dirt!!! Spiked myself with 1 inch spikes going over the bar....broke an aluminum cross bar and land on it gouging the skin on shin....... no broken fiberglass poles....yet!!!!
Bob

Sean/vaulter/naeS
PV Nerd

Unread postby Sean/vaulter/naeS » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:37 pm

I broke the strap and ripped the bottom off of it I'm not sure how i did it but coach wasn't too happy but duct tape fixes everything.
VAULTERS ARE A CRAZY CREW BUT ITS A FUN RIDE!

Return to “Pole Vault - General”