Why the complaints with tape on the runway?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

stormvault
PV Fan

Unread postby stormvault » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:04 pm

Along the lines of tape on the runway, does anyone know if at one time or in the NCAA, USATF or IAAF rules that a tape measure cannot be left out? I have looked through the HS rule book and cannot find anything yet every coach I run into says you cannot leave it out? Maybe some of you veteran officials can shed some light on this. Also if you have found it in the HS rule book please reference it for me.

Thank You

euroeva
PV Fan

Unread postby euroeva » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:54 pm

out as in during the event? we always have it out, and noone says anytihng, if it was illegal trust me someone would mention it at the meet.

stormvault
PV Fan

Unread postby stormvault » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:56 am

I forgot to mention, Yes out during competition. I have run into this more in the long and triple jump more than in the vault. But I would like to know if it is/was a rule at any level.

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:32 pm

Nothing says you cannot leave it out unless that mysterious group call the GC (games committee) says otherwise.

Every meet I'm at, we leave on the edge of the runway.

Darth Vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Masters Vaulter

Unread postby Darth Vaulter » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:06 pm

In this day and age when we are (or should be) doing everything we can to make pole vaulting safer, it is incomprehensible to me that anyone would object to having a tape measure along the side of the runway during competition.

IT SHOULD BE REQUIRED.

Multiple white tape marks on the runway can be confused for one another, markers stuck in the ground alongside the runway can get moved, and some markers can be a hazard to vaulters moving around the vault area. With a tape along the side of the runway, all a vaulter needs to know is his or her starting point in feet and inches. Coaches and valuters can easily make adjustments in the same easy-to-understand feet and inches.

In the Personal Pet Peeve Department: A tape might also cut down on the number of vaulters disrupting warm-ups by "running back" their "steps." Vaulters should arrive at a competition with a firm idea of where they will start their warm-up runs.
May the Force be with you!

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:54 pm

amen darth
compete and jump safe, have fun

stormvault
PV Fan

Unread postby stormvault » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:43 am

Thank you vaultref. I am with you on that argument Darth, however I have been at big meets and have watched kids run back steps. It is a matter of changing coaches to get that pet peave to go away. In fact the guys on my team usually have a pool going as to how many guys at the state meet will do run backs and there is always one.

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Measuring Tape

Unread postby drcurran » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:16 pm

Cannot remember a single meet I've worked where anyone complained about the measuring tape we keep on the side of the runway. Some of these are pretty "big" meets. (NCAA Champs, Big Tens, Sea Rays). As was already said - anything to make the event as safe as possible. I always suggest to the athletes that they do a "test" measure to be sure we put the tape down the same way they would. Have only found one place where some measure from the bottom of the box and not the top of the box - Out door Big Tens this past Spring at Mich. State. Just my .02

Dan

stormvault
PV Fan

Unread postby stormvault » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:49 pm

I know the high school rule book is very specific on where zero is now. I also know that the meet management can determine what mark or marks are left. I was just wondering if this is one of those urban myths like the getting out of the pit before the bar falls deal.

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Runway

Unread postby drcurran » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:51 pm

Don't think I have ever seen the issue of the tape measurer being left down during competition addressed in a rule book HS, NCAA, or USATF. As someone else mentioned it might be one of those "Games Committee" "things". I try to remember to mention to the head field judge/referee that I will be leaving a tape down during the competition for everyone's benefit so if anyone should have an issue the referee has already had a heads up. Just my .02

Dan

robillard
PV Nerd

Unread postby robillard » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:53 pm

if you have to run your steps back every meet and place down tape were your steps are then obviously you dont have a very consistant run. you should always start from the same place or close to the same place depending on the wind and other factors. also if you run back 7 or 8 steps that takes a lot out of you and thats one less run youll be able to make in the meet. but about the tape if they made it legal there would be 20 pieces of tape at each step mark and theyd get mixxed up, also someone will more than likely step on the tape with their spikes and poof, no more marker. if you have a stake in the ground(deep enough) it will only be nudged and you can fix it and if you have chalk unless someone spills water on it or somethin it will stay. i think chalk and stakes are way more reliable than tape on the track and a lot less distracting. and to the guy who recommended the 3 inch plates. imagine a big meet, the biggest ive been in was at disney with 52 guys. ok now imagine everyone trying to fit in their 3 inch marker within 3 or 4 feet of each other. probably wouldnt work out to good. it is a good idea but needs a little work.

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:31 pm

Thats why if there is a tape measurer on the side, every one knows where they run from, no problem. the 3 people that all start with in a foot of eachother just look down, 91'3" 91'7" and 92'. as simple as that.

And you shouldnt use chalk, becuase your grip some time changes, and so your run would also.

But i think it SHOULD be mandatory for a tape measurer to be on the side, just makes sence.
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”