Class of 2006 Signings

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:38 am

http://www.apsu.edu/letsgopeay/releases ... rggraf.pdf

Lady Govs track team looks to vault forward in OVC, adds Burggraf
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Su-06 CB/bk 07/14/353

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. – With plans to improve its Ohio Valley Conference championships standing, Austin Peay State
University has signed its second-ever pole vaulter – Carrie Burggraf, of Marion, Ohio.
Burggraf competed at Caledonia River Valley High School and finished fourth in 2006 Ohio High School Athletic
Association’s Division II State Championship with a vault of 11-0. She also competed in the long jump and sprint events
for the Lady Vikings. Burggraf also is an accomplished gymnast, qualifying for the USA Gymnastics Region V Level 9
meet this past spring.
“Carrie has a great career in front of her,â€Â

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:58 am

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Sa ... s!colleges

JMU's Brinkley finds no fault with vault
Freeman graduate's recent rise in sport leads to final decision

BY FRED JETER
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER
Aug 11, 2006

Kevin Brinkley has switched from takedowns to take-offs.

The former wrestling champion now is focusing his athletic energy on the pole vault as he prepares for his freshman year at James Madison University.

The sky above Harrisonburg is the limit, says his vaulting guru, Russian-born Val Osipenko, who operates Extreme Heights gym.

"I expect Kevin to be doing 16, 17 feet in a year or two," Osipenko said. "He has great physical ability . . . all that is lacking is experience."

A little background: The son of Douglas Freeman High football coach Bob Brinkley, 5-11, 175-pound Kevin earned honorable-mention honors in the Colonial District as a wide receiver this past fall.

His intentions were to try out for JMU football as a walk-on. Then came wrestling, and Brinkley emerged as the Colonial District and Central Region titlist at 171 pounds.

"At that point, I was thinking wrestling for college," Brinkley said. "The whole vaulting thing kind of came out of nowhere."

Under the tutelage of veteran vaulting coach Jeff Butler at Freeman, Brinkley surprised everyone this past spring by setting the Freeman record and winning the Central Region title.

That's when he realized he had more of a future in vaulting than in football or wrestling.

"It's been a wild ride," Brinkley said. "But I'm mature enough to see that I'm 100 times better vaulter than I am a football player or wrestler.

"That's the sport where I'll have the most opportunity."

Until this year, Brinkley's best vault was a 10-6 as a sophomore. He didn't compete in track as a junior and only half-heartedly became involved with the event this spring.

"Mostly, I went out for track thinking I'd run the hurdles, but we had enough guys doing that, so I got serious about vaulting."

In the first couple weeks of practice, he "straight-barred" (not bending pole) 11-0. After a few meets, he was already up to 13-0.

Brinkley won the region title at Sports Backers Stadium with a 14-3. He later cleared a personal-best 15-1 at the Milestat meet, also at Sports Backers.

He sailed over the bar at 14-7½, good for third place, at the Nike nationals in Greensboro.

"Some of us were talking at Greensboro," he said of the vaulting competitors. "A lot of them had been vaulting five, six years, and here I was, only having done it about three months."

Brinkley, a lifeguard this summer at Kanawha Recreation, missed a chance to compete in the Junior Olympics in Baltimore due to a slight sprained ankle.

He should fully healed when JMU commences fall workouts in September.

"When I hit 13 [feet], my goal was 14. When I got 14, it was 15," he said. "Now, I'm looking at 16 feet. I hope to get that, maybe set the JMU record [14-0] and even win the conference [CAA].

Clearly, the former wrestler is pinning his hopes on the vault.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:19 pm

http://www.cstv.com/sports/c-track/stor ... 06aaj.html

Josh Winters, a 2006 graduate of Bothell High School, has a personal-best pole vault clearance of 15-feet, 9 inches. He finished second in the state 4A championships as a senior after a fourth-place finish his junior season. His father, John Winters, competed for the Cougars as a pole vaulter in 1976.

Mays is a 2006 honors graduate from North Central High School. She owns a personal-best pole vault clearance of 12-feet, which is the Greater Spokane League record height. She finished second in the state 3A championships as a senior as her Indians' track team won the state title. As a junior, Mays was the state runner-up in the pole vault as North Central finished second in the 3A team standings. She was a member of the Greater Spokane Track Club where former Cougar pole vaulter Lex Katich is her coach.

"Josh Winters has shown great potential as a pole vaulter. He is a second generation and I coached his father at WSU. Josh has shown he has the skill and potential to be an outstanding pole vaulter for the Cougars.

"Kendall Mays is somebody we came across a little bit later in our recruiting. She has the physical tools to be a great pole vaulter for WSU. Lex Katich, a former Cougar pole vaulter has done a terrific job of teaching her the fundamental skills of pole vaulting and we need to take it to the next level at Washington State."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:22 pm

Oklahoma Baptist

http://www.okbu.edu/news/view_article.php?id=1019

Mark Scott of Choctaw was a Class 6A state qualifier in the pole vault.

Breanna Shippey of Odessa, Mo., was fifth in the 3A long jump and seventh in the pole vault.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:14 pm

http://www.vmikeydets.com/article.asp?articleid=80078

Sean Reardon, Pole Vault/Multi Events -- Weaversville, N.C. (North Buncombe)

Reardon will be a two-sport athlete at VMI, lining up as a wide receiver and defensive back on the Keydet football team as well. He is a 14'+ pole vaulter, lands over 21’ in the long jump, and has run 10.90 in the 100m. He has also posted a time of 22.49 in the 200m He will likely be utilized in both the pole vault and the multi events this year. He was selected as the male conference MVP in both 2005 and 2006, and was a two-time selection to the All Western North Carolina Team in the pole vault. In 2006, Reardon finished third at the North Carolina State Championships in the pole vault.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:11 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:I actually updated the list!!!!

http://www.polevaultpower.com/college/2006class.php

Updated 8/26/06

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:40 pm

http://www.bobcatsports.lmc.edu/teams/P ... ticleid=80

Bragman Signs with Lees-McRae College
Article Date: 2006-02-02

Banner Elk, NC – Karyn Bragman, from Clayton, NC, has signed a National Letter of Intent (NLI) with Lees-McRae College in the sports of women’s cross country and track and field.
Bragman, a standout at Clayton High School, has competed in 7 regional and 8 state competition meets. She is the school record holder in the 800m, while also pole vaulting 9.6 feet and triple jumping 27 feet 8.5 inches.

“Karyn’s multi-talented and will help our women’s team in many areas,â€Â

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:04 pm

http://uoflsports.cstv.com/sports/c-tra ... 06aab.html

Aug. 2, 2006

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The University of Louisville track and field program completed the 2005-06 recruiting season with the signing of hurdler Chris Brautzsch and pole vaulter Rebecca Rospotynski to national letters-of-intent boosting the Cards' total recruiting class to 17 (13 women, four men) for the 2006-07 season.

"By signing Chris and Rebecca, we put the finishing touches on our recruiting class for this year and we're very pleased with the results," said U of L head coach Ron Mann, who is entering his third season with the Cards. "We're excited to have this group of newcomers joining Louisville track and field. This recruiting class of 17 student-athletes, combined with the talented group of returnees in our program, should give us a great foundation for the 2006-07 season."

Rospotynski, from Copley, Ohio, is a talented pole vaulter having earned second-place finishes at the Division I Ohio State Championships in the event in 2006 and 2005. As a senior, she cleared a personal best height of 11 feet, nine inches, while as a sophomore, she finished fourth in the state in the pole vault.

Rebecca Rospotynski - Pole Vault
- Copley, Ohio (Copley High School)
- Finished second in the pole vault as a senior at the Ohio State Championships (Division I) with a personal best mark of 11 feet, nine inches
- Finished second in the pole vault as a junior and fourth as a sophomore at the Ohio state championships

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:40 pm

http://campus.umr.edu/sports/mtrackcc.html

PETER HOLLENBECK, from O'Fallon High School in O'Fallon, Ill.: Hollenbeck will compete in the pole vault, where he finished fifth at last year's Illinois state meet with a clearance of 14-6 at the state meet. This year, Hollenbeck has cleared a personal-best 14-11 and owns the second-best mark to date in the St. Louis area. Besides finishing fifth at the state meet last season, Hollenbeck took second in the sectional meet.

"Peter is a good technician with good speed on the runway," Martin said. "We are excited to add Peter to our vaulting squad, as he will add depth to an already strong group of young vaulters."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:44 am

http://msubobcats.com/news.php?sid=tf&nid=1538

Bobcats Land Great Falls Vaulter

MSU Bobcats Track and Field News : 2006-07-25 : Bozeman, MT
By MSU Sports Information

MSU added to its pole vault depth on Tuesday
Heidi Biehl, a pole vaulter from Great Falls High School, has signed a National Letter-of-Intent t join the Montana State track and field program, Bobcat vaults coach Tom Eitel announced.

Biehl vaulted 11-6 in both her junior and senior seasons, finishing in the top five in the state all four seasons. She finished third this spring on misses, and is coached by former MSU standout Danny Groux.

"Heidi is a four-year placewinner at state and a four-year starter in soccer," Eitel said. "She has hit or tied her PR in every state meet, so she's a proven performer in that type of situation. She has real good speed and strength, and Dan has coached her real well so she is more polished than a lot of high school vaulters."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:27 am

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... LID=562179

Lindsay Maher, Utica, Neb. (Centennial HS)â€â€

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:53 am

http://golobos.cstv.com/sports/c-track/ ... 06aad.html

I'm also pleased that we were able to bring three more quality pole vaulters to New Mexico. We've had some good success in that event over the past few years and I'm looking forward to seeing what these new guys can do in the future."

Matt Hull • Pole Vault • Fr-HS • Phoenix, Ariz. (Arcadia HS)
A 2006 graduate of Phoenix Arcadia High School...two-time class 4A state pole vault champion...finished second at Arizona's Meet Of Champions with a personal record mark of 15-06...school record holder in the event...wears sunglasses when he vaults, even at night meets...also recruited by Arizona State...his father, Greg, is a Senior Coach for USA Track & Field Olympic Development in the pole vault and has trained Olympic gold medalists Nick Hysong and Stacy Dragila.

Alex Lohman • Pole Vault • So-Tr • Murrieta, Calif. (UC Irvine)
Sophomore pole vaulter who will enroll at UNM this fall after transferring from UC Irvine...top indoor mark of 15' 7" came in a second place finish at Northern Arizona in `06...recorded a top outdoor mark of 14' 7 1/4" last spring...2005 graduate of Murrieta (Calif.) Valley High School...top prep mark of 14' 6" was among the best in Southern California in `05.

Tyson Quiller • Pole Vault • Fr-HS • Boulder, Colo. (Boulder HS)
A 2006 graduate of Boulder (Colo.) High School...first team all-region team and honorable mention all-state in the pole vault as a senior...won the event at the Boulder County Championships and finished third at the class 5A state meet with a personal record mark of 15 feet even...competed at the '06 Golden West Invitational...also a standout wrestler for the Panthers.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”