Back Pain...any ideas why?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:43 pm

When I began implementing the BTB technique last October and the whole free take-off, I had similar back pain from arching in the C position at take-off. I want to say the middle part of my back would torque too much from having such an outside take-off. And I never take-off under, usually out at 13'4" plus take-off.

I used a back brace for awhile. Although it doesn't completely elimate the pain, I found it very useful. You might try it. I don't use it anymore and my back is fine (knock on wood).

Picture is located below.
http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/vie ... php?t=7820
wo xi huan cheng gan tiao.

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:26 pm

Thank you...it's just that I haven't been vaulting since early January 2005. Doing nothing, it's only continued to get worse. However, I'll definitely look into it if I am able to get back up to that level. :)
Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars

SweetPVJumps
PV Whiz

Unread postby SweetPVJumps » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:17 am

on a lighter note...upcoming family vacation for sami? sounds fun!! when and where? im currently on a family vacation in sunny san diego and now i never wanna leave! :heart: :D

bvpv07
PV Great

Unread postby bvpv07 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:19 am

haha...I love how this is the "sami's life" thread...oh well

yep, I'm leaving for Montreal tomorrow morning...and I get to wake up at 5:30 am in order to catch my flight

my friend is in Sandy Ego :P right now...it is nice, isn't it? So, are you now considering CSUSD, USD, or UCSD?
Fly me to the moon

SweetPVJumps
PV Whiz

Unread postby SweetPVJumps » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:04 pm

haha, yes i believe it is the samis life thread now.
montreal, oooo. how long do you get to visit there? yeah i hate those early flights, i recently had to wake up at 5 to catch a flight.
i dont know much at all about any of the san diego schools, but i know usd isnt an option cuz its too expensive! but i do know now that i do wanna apply to at least one of the other schools in san diego cuz i know id LOVE it there! im home now and i already wanna go back its so awesome!

tomg
PV Newbie

your back pain

Unread postby tomg » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:19 pm

Get an MRI. Some stress fractures of the pars (part of the bone in your back) do not show up on an x-ray.

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:35 pm

Late as ussual to threads i know...but I definately sympathize with you guys with back injuries! I had to surrender the majority of my freshman season this past year to a severe back strain and then lost the rest of it to a broken ankle :( but thats a different story...

Have you any pain shooting down your leg/legs? I know this sounds like Siatica, but i'm just curious to know if you're feeling pain there? My friend has it bad. I thought i pinched my nerve when i hurt my back, but i didn't thank god. I couldn't stand up straight for a long time, couldn't twist, woke up every morning in pain. It sucked, but i saw our sports physician one day, and she found a ton of strength deficiencies and inflexibilities in my legs and hips as the cause of my back pains. 3-4 months of recovery and i was back at it.
Keep your hope going, the purpose of the body is to heal, its an amazing machine! Just keep that chin up and one day soon you'll be better. My prayers are with you ;)

bvpv07
PV Great

Unread postby bvpv07 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:07 am

Thanks izzy...no pain shooting down the legs for me.

Three MRIs scheduled for tomorrow late afternoon. Hopefully something will turn up.

I envy all of you that have New England summers (just the summer, not the rest of the year :P ). Here's to 20 to 30 degree temperature changes...(oh man, melting in Sacramento right now)
Last edited by bvpv07 on Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fly me to the moon

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:33 am

bvpv07 wrote:Thanks izzy...no pain shooting down the legs for me.

Three MRIs scheduled for tomorrow late afternoon. Hopefully something will turn up.

I envy all of you that have New England summers (just the summer, not the rest of the year :P ). Here's to 20 to 30 degree temperature cahnges...(oh man, melting in Sacramento right now)

I have to admit i like the change in wardrobe, but i can't say i love the below zero degree temperatures in the winter, where anything in your nose turnes to ice, and your body feels like an ice cube :P

bvpv07
PV Great

Unread postby bvpv07 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:06 pm

Well, just got back from the orthopaedist for the review of the three MRIs (both feet and lumbar) that I had taken two weeks ago.

Thankfully, they showed them a lot of things.

Apparently, there are a ton of stress fractures on the tallus in both feet...so it wasn't the navicular, but it's hard to tell exactly what bone in a bone scan. He said that if it was just one foot, I would go on crutches; however, since it's both, I could choose between a wheelchair or no running. I chose the no activity because....

...the MRI of my back pretty much showed that I have a stress fracture on both sides (of one of my Ls, I guess). Hmm...that's why the pain's still there. I still have to get more x-rays and a bone scan to confirm for sure, but he told me that I would have to get a brace made and wear it for three months.

This got me to thinking that, from last November to this next November (12 months), I will have been in one kind of brace or another for a total of 8 months.

The worse thing of all is that he told me that I cannot do any type of weightlifting or vaulting or physical activity. I think that I'm going to die. :crying:
Fly me to the moon

bvpv07
PV Great

Unread postby bvpv07 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:08 pm

However, if all goes right and heals, I think that I may just have a chance at my senior season. :yes:

(that means two out of four *potentially* for my hs career ;) )
Fly me to the moon

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:22 pm

Can you swim? That seems like just about the ONLY thing you might be able to do, but I don't know if that would bother your back.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”