Why the complaints with tape on the runway?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:43 am

Well then in that case.... no marks on the runway will be made. Only the meet official can allow it in situations. My guess is that every meet official knows that TECHNICALLY there shouldnt be marks on the runway, but unless another coach complains about it they will allow it. But the rule may be changed at some point if at a very large meet an official just says "no marks whatsoever.... get that tape measure out of here". After something like that i could see a rally to get the rule changed.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:18 am

If it's a very large meet, the event officials will be told by meet managment, specifically a group known as the "games committee" (the GC) what kind of marks are allowed, what kind of marks are not allowed.

There is no doubt in my mind that the "GC" would not even think about prohibiting the placement of a tape measure along the side the runway border. It's a necessary item for the vault.
So far, only the NFHS rule code and the NCAA rule code have added words that allow meet management to place other permanent check marks.
NFHS may allow for three inch check marks at 19 specific places along the inside edeg of the runway.
NCAA does allow for 7 marks on the runway at the takeoff area only.

Unless, the "GC" says NO, there is no where in any of the rule codes that say you cannot put down other jumping aids just as a long tape measure, mid-step numbers or plant-step numbers off to the side of a runway.

GeorgeN
PV Nerd

runway marks

Unread postby GeorgeN » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:48 am

what I don't understand is that it is allowed to paint marks permanantly on the runway, and I have done this. Why doesn't every team just paint the marks? It is easy to measure between the 70 and 80 foot marks, etc for your steps. It is so simple and it is in the rule book.

Vaultref
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaultref » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:49 pm

It's because many AD's just plain refuse to spend a dime on any optional item for track and field.
Unlike the finish line on a track, these runway markings are optional.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:21 pm

Amen to that.... stupid AD's!! They also decide to buy the pit and poles for vaulters, yet some school dont have coaches to teach the vault!!!! And parents wonder why kids die each year vaulting, lack of coaching!!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:22 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:And parents wonder why kids die each year vaulting, lack of coaching!!

It has been 4 years since anyone died while pole vaulting. I wouldn't go around saying kids die each year.

Vaultref
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaultref » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:01 pm

That's for sure Becca. Too much has been done since then to prevent further deaths.

2002 was indeed a tragic year for pole vaulting.

We need to never forget what happen back then and never allow safety guidelines to be ignored.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:13 pm

well thats good to hear and i mispoke.... i will bring that up next time parents are argueing in my town to get rid of vaulting because of the dangers.... thats actually a lie they used on me, so i must have just been repeating it.

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:19 pm

At the Relays and at every meet I officiate where there will be several divisions jumping, I always tape down a tape measure alongside the runway before warm up and leave it down. Have done this for several years, speeds up warmups before the different events. I tape down the take off steps and then every ten feet back down the runway. Vaulters show up, standards are zeroed, hazards hopefully cleared away, the athletes find their marks and get to work. Except for those who have to run back during warm ups and have someone catch a step. I have also used those vinyl address stickers you can buy at Home Depot to glue down on the side of the runway, they'll last about a season but you can sure see the numbers better than paint. Reminds me, I need to go get some more.
compete and jump safe, have fun

GeorgeN
PV Nerd

markers

Unread postby GeorgeN » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:24 pm

I like that vynil advice.
I would like to know , however, why many athletes( and even coaches) use the size of the meet as an excuse to follow or not follow rules. As I said earlier, rules define a sport or game. We should all just read the rule book when we first begin to vault, and that is that. NO arguments, no misunderstandings.
Street and beach vaults are unofficial events where the rules can be stated by the meet director and he doesn't have to answer to any rule book or any athlete.
So rules for official meets, anyrules for unooficial meets.

Does that solve anything?

BUt I just want to have fun and not kill myself.

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:31 am

Our state games are held at a rented college facility. The GC decided not to allow tape or chalk on the runnway so as not to stain the track surface. They made the wooden markers that I talked of earlier. We made a "plea" not actually a protest and the officials that ran the PV and the head field event judge got their heads together and agreed to allow small chalk marks OFF the runnway on the concrete beside the track. This worked fine. The point I brought up is that if a 120 foot tape had been pulled out the small wooden blocks would have worked. You would have been able to tell if a marker had been moved. I think this discussion would be a moot point if a tape was pulled at every meet and left streatched out during the competition. As a spectator if a "change" doesn't make a unfair advantage for a certain group of competitiors or make a dangerious situation I can see no reason to not move to make an admentment to the rules. Any thoughts

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:46 am

belmore wrote: Except for those who have to run back during warm ups and have someone catch a step.

Most irritating thing ever. Measure and record, people.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”