Why the complaints with tape on the runway?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:46 am

Russ, I agree 100 Percent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Re: marks

Unread postby Vaultref » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:07 am

GeorgeN wrote:I wish the rule book told us WHAT to use for markers. I think that would solve the problems.....

They basically do tell you.. They tell you that the "Games Committee" people determine what type of markers to be used. That info is passed down to the Officials who then pass it on to you.
The venue surface is taken into consideration when this marking material is determined.

99% of the time it is TAPE only.
99% of the time chalk or other indelible markers are NOT allowed,
nor are shoes, water bottles, sometimes even mini-cones are not allowed.
100% of the time markers cannot be placed on the runway. The problem there is does the usually white runway border count as part of the runway. Some say yes, some say no.

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:03 am

russ i agree! aswell!
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:21 am

we dont even need to keep the tape measure there, but i think they MUST allow us to mark either in chalk or something else the 5 feet increments starting with 60 or so. From there we can usually figure it out. What i have seen at our track is pretty nice, using spray paint to mark your take off at 9, 10, 11, and 12 feet.... with small lines across the runway. We also marked the 60, 65, 70, etc. marks with spray paint... then have small spray paint marks for each foot. Its red-yellow on a red track, so it doesnt distract anyone.... cant trip anyone.... and is still easy to see.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:50 am

I love this topic. My athletes from day one are taught that they must know their 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, marks. I hate jumpers who run backwards on the runway to find their steps.

As for marking the runway, in high school the runway should be marker with marks every ten feet and at the box, but, alast, they never are or as Russ pointed out they are incorrectly marked.

Then my athletes use their feet (because they always have them with them) to step to their mark. For example, a male athletes mark may be 35' from 3 steps so at practice he marks 35' on the track and will either count his steps forward by walking towards his mark from forty or back from thirty. This also help me adjust their steps for the conditions or landing depth in the pit.

All of my athletes are taught to mark the runway with chalk but they must ask the other teams coach if it's OK. If they say no, I whip out my rule book and point out the rule about marking the runway. They can't argue with the rules.

I dislike tapes on the side of the rumway because they get kicked and moved all of the time.

Just my take on this issue.

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:53 am

In the above posting move paragragh three to below pargraph four. Darn kids distracting me when I'm typing. :)

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:46 pm

vcpvcoach wrote: ...
All of my athletes are taught to mark the runway with chalk but they must ask the other teams coach if it's OK. If they say no, I whip out my rule book and point out the rule about marking the runway. They can't argue with the rules.

I dislike tapes on the side of the rumway because they get kicked and moved all of the time.

Just my take on this issue.

Just what do you show the other teams coach?

I personally lay down a tape at every meet and both tape and thumb-tack it down to the edge of the runway. It's rarely disturbed by the athletes.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

old days

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:47 pm

Russ, in the old -very old- days we used to be required to measure from the bottom of the back of the box. I'm not sure when the NCAA began to regulate such things, but it ain't always been so!!

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:42 pm

Thanks. At least that solves one of life's mysteries (i.e., why some people think that they are supposed to measure from there!). :P

Although I've done some research on the history of pole vault rules, that's one that I didn't know.
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Old Days

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:53 pm

Yep we associated our approach dimensions to the place where the pole stopped (the bottom of the back of the box). The standards didn't have any measurement devices on them. They usually had round bases that we pushed forward or back according to how far away from a pole held vertically the cross bar was. It was all by eye! A lot has changed!

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:31 am

we have every foot marked off with a dot, and a line every 10 feet with spray paint. We use shoes in practice and meets becuase it is easy to just look down and see your shoe and go from there. We have always measured from the back of the box. and we always zero our standards the day of the meet. we put the bar on at 7 feet, bring the standards to 0, and becuase the base does move, we will adjust from there to get the correct 0 depth, so every one is happy. what makes me kinda made tho, is the markers are off by 13". if it says, the bar is at 12 feet, it is at 13'1". kindof annoying, but we get used to it.

At the state meet in CA, most of the jumpers used shoes, but some used tape, and the officials were fine with that. There was also a measuring tape streatched out back to about 140'. I'm not sure of the exact rules, but no one has a problem with what is going on, so i;m guessing this will continue into the next years.
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

GeorgeN
PV Nerd

chalk on the runway

Unread postby GeorgeN » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:52 am

Where is the rule that says we can put chalk marks on the runway? I am just trying to get a feel of things in order to prevent arguments at meets. I thought the rule book say " no marks on the runway, except the ten foot marks the coach of the home team has an option to mark".
Let's get this thing to a science and a black or white answer. No interpretations.
I am open to criticism, as long as it gets us to the bottom of this before January.

Thanks

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”