Class of 2006 Signings

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

alexfreshour
PV Newbie

Unread postby alexfreshour » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:06 pm

Illinois- Phil Hanson - Pole vault- Northern Iowa

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:28 pm

http://www.cstv.com/sports/c-track/stor ... 06aal.html

Track & Field Inks 11 Student-Athletes to National Letters of Intent

Arizona State bolsters depth with numerous champions as well as one multi-sport standout
June 29, 2006

TEMPE, Ariz. - The Arizona State University track and field and cross country programs have signed 11 student-athletes to National Letters of Intent, Greg Kraft, head coach of the program, announced Thursday. All 11 student-athletes will continue their educational and athletic programs with ASU and are set to begin competing during the upcoming 2006-07 academic year.

The newest class includes women Whitney Blue (Costa Mesa, Calif./Newport Harbor HS), Jasmine Chaney (Tempe, Ariz./McClintock HS) and Kari Hardt (Queen Creek, Ariz./Queen Creek HS) and men's athletes Ben Engelhardt (Westerville, Ohio/Westerville North HS), Mikias Gelagle (Greenbelt, Md./Eleanor Roosevelt HS), Rodney Glass (Sherman Oaks, Calif./Notre Dame HS), Jeff Helmer (Snohomish, Wash./Henry M. Jackson HS), Garrett Kelly (Phoenix, Ariz./Desert Vista HS), Justin Kremer (Grand Canyon, Ariz./Grand Canyon HS), Patrick Milloy (Murrieta, Calif./Murrieta Valley HS) and Tod Rodenbaugh (Mesa, Ariz./Paradise Valley CC).

Of the signing athletes, 10 are recent high school graduates with the 11th member of the class transferring into the program from a local junior college. Overall, the recent graduates combined to collect 35 state tiles (including three relay crowns) while also finishing second in the state on 11 other occasions. In their senior campaigns, they collected 14 of their state titles with one runner-up finish.

Rodenbaugh, the lone transfer in the class, comes across town following two successful seasons in the pole vault with Paradise Valley Community College. While competing for the Pumas, Rodenbaugh advanced to the National Junior College Collegiate Association (NJCAA) meet on four occasions, placing second in the pole vault all four times. A four-time All-American for PVCC, Rodenbaugh also was a state champion for Mountain View as he captured the 2004 crown after placing fourth in 2003. He has cleared a personal best 16-9.00.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:28 am

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD= ... =461&rfi=9

[Natalie] Gengel's next step is to compete at the collegiate level. She will be a freshman at Cornell University this fall. She will join a Big Red women's track and field team that has been at the top of the Heptagonals field. She can already clear a height that would earn points at Heps.
"I'm excited to see what Cornell has and learn about their program," Gengel said. "They're 10-time Heps champions."
She could help them add to that number. She helped make the Little Tigers a better team, and came to PHS in the perfect time for them and her. She brought a competitive spirit and the versatility to score in a number of events. She started high school at a time when pole vault was just becoming an official event in dual meets. It became not only recognized in New Jersey but something that she embraced with all her talents and work ethic.
"I remember jumping in seventh and eighth grade and thought it was so fun," said Gengel, who competed in pole vault first in Minnesota. "I would have been more into gymnastics (without pole vault). I'll probably do a little of that next year. I have a chance to compete for Cornell, mainly in vault. I know one of girls does basketball and track. I have to see how time is, how it works out with the meets.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:18 pm

http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/wi ... k-06.frame

Marshall Ackley, Nyssa 100m, 200m, 110 HH, Pole Vault Oregon (signed)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:16 pm

http://www.cstv.com/sports/c-track/stor ... 06aak.html

Ole Miss Track Inks Cothren

Russellville, Ark. native to compete in 2006-07 year
July 10, 2006

OXFORD, Miss. - Ole Miss track and field head coach Joe Walker announced the signing of Whitney Cothren to a national letter of intent on Monday.

Cothren, a pole vaulter, joins Ole Miss from Russellville High School in Russellville, Ark. Cothren placed second in the state and earned All-State honors from the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame during her junior season, which was her first season of competition. She also placed second at the Meet of Champions and won four regular season meets as well as her conference championship. As a senior she repeated as conference champion and only lost one regular-season meet. She placed third at the state meet and the Meet of Champions. Cothren holds a personal best of 12-01.00 in pole vault. The multi-sport athlete also competed in softball.

"We are very excited about Whitney joining the Ole Miss family," said Ole Miss head coach Joe Walker. "She brings great athleticism and hopefully will contribute immediately."

Cothren joins Anna Adams, Jasmine Dacus, Amy Beth Gallogly, Mark Noland, Davina Orieukwu and Brittney Reese as Ole Miss signees for 2005-06.

All signees will begin competing for Ole Miss beginning in the 2006-07 academic year.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:27 am

http://www.couriernews.com/story.php?ID=12029

RHS' Cothren vaulting her way to Ole Miss

By Mark Burke
Assistant Sports Editor
Former Russellville Lady Cyclone track standout Whitney Cothren will soon be looking to reach new heights -- pole vaulting that is.
Cothren signed a national letter of intent Monday to pole vault at the University of Mississippi during a ceremony at the Russellville High School Commons. Cothren becomes the 11th RHS athlete to sign a letter of intent this year.
Becoming a college athlete is a valued experience that may seem like a dream.
"It means a lot," Cothren said of reaching this level. "I'm excited. It doesn't seem like this could ever happen."
With the success the RHS girls track team had this past year, it's no surprise the seniors are getting recognition. Cothren is the second member of the Lady Cyclone track team to sign with a Division I school, as Emily Miles signed with Central Arkansas in May.
Cothren competed in the pole vault for just two years but quickly made a splash. She holds the RHS records in both outdoor (12-0) and indoor (10-6) pole vaulting and was a two-time qualifier for the Meet of Champs.
She was also the AAAAA West champion this season, clearing 10-6, and has a personal best of 12-1. Needless to say, the potential is there, making her what RHS track coach Don Carnahan sees as a valued addition to the Lady Rebels.
Cothren finished second at the Class AAAAA state meet her junior season and earned All-state honors both years. As a senior, Cothren only lost one regular-season meet and finished third at the state meet.
"I feel like it was Ole Miss' good fortune for Whitney to decide to become a Lady Rebel," Carnahan said. "I think she'll fit in well. She really didn't perform up to her expectations this spring, but I really think she's the best in the state at this point."
The experience gained from that is something both Cothren and Carnahan hope will be helpful as Cothren prepares to compete in the tough Southeastern Conference.
"I didn't realize until I visited (Ole Miss) that the SEC is the toughest conference to pole vault in," Cothren said. "It's going to be a tough challenge."
But with the way things have gone for Cothren, Carnahan is optimistic overcoming those challenges won't be impossible.
"I think she has the potential to get where she can compete in the SEC," Carnahan said. "I really think Ole Miss is getting one with a lot of potential. It will be a good challenge for her, and we hope she can be the first girl from Arkansas to clear 15 feet."
Cothren's upside made her appealing to several schools. However, a visit to Oxford, Miss., made things a little easier in Cothren's decision-making process.
"I went up there and really liked the school," Cothren said. "They have good coaches, good facilities, and it's a really good environment."
Now comes the challenge of competing at a high level. Such a task gives Cothren mixed feelings.
"I'm really nervous, but I'm excited and ready to give it a try," Cothren said.
With Ole Miss in the same conference as Arkansas, Cothren will get chances in her home state.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:31 pm

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:42 pm

http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles ... 60-dsu.txt

DSU track adds 17 Montanans
By Gazette News Services

DICKINSON, N.D. -- Dickinson State University track and field coach Pete Stanton has announced the signing of 22 men and 11 women to letters of intent to join the Blue Hawk program. Among the 33 signees are 17 Montana athletes.

The men's signees from Montana include Garrett Buer of Huntley Project, the State B champion in the pole vault this spring, Shayne Hinz of Huntley Project (javelin), Cotton Real Bird of Hardin (javelin), Nathan Brown of Colstrip (distances), Kelly Hert of Colstrip (throws), Matt Miller of Miles City (hurdles), Eli Turnbough of Broadus (middle distances), Presley Meade of Ekalaka (jumps), Jace Felde of Deer Lodge (jumps), Johnny Emtman of Glasgow (jumps), Scott Collier of Ennis (throws), Ryan Broyhill of Thompson Falls (middle distances) and Nic Flemer of Stevensville (javelin).

Women's signees from Montana include Brittany Halvorson of Shepherd (pole vault), Nicole Jefferson of Hardin (javelin), Mattie Murphy of Drummond (jumps, javelin) and Kyla Wasser of Stevensville (sprints).

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:12 pm

caitlin thornley and ashley early going to VT
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

JumpinSkiing
PV Nerd

Unread postby JumpinSkiing » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:20 pm

Mark Westover
Andrew Westover
Ashley Brown

Going to URI, all NH vaulters.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:43 am

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grpress/ind ... xml&coll=6

West Ottawa grad Stitt enjoys Beach Vault
Thursday, July 20, 2006
By Jeff Chaney
The Grand Rapids Press
GRAND HAVEN -- Natalie Stitt doesn't plan on giving up pole vaulting.

Stitt, who just graduated from West Ottawa High School, is getting ready to leave for Notre Dame, where she will attend on a diving scholarship.

Pole vaulting was her second love at West Ottawa, and Stitt said she still wants to continue that rigorous sport to help her diving career.

She got some work in at the pole vault pit during the fifth annual Grand Haven Beach Vault Friday and Saturday at Grand Haven City Beach.

Stitt competed in the girls 17-18 age group, and cleared 10 feet, 6 inches.

"I'll probably keep pole vaulting on the side, but focus on diving now," said Stitt, who qualified for the state finals in June, but did not place.

"Pole vaulting really helps you with your body awareness in how you fly through the air."

As for her last pole vaulting competition before she leaves for Notre Dame?

"I'm pretty happy, but I wish I could have done a little better," Stitt said.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:03 pm

http://www.tribeathletics.com/story.php/4720/

Women’s Track and Field Signs 18 for 2006-07

Two All-Americans Highlight Class of 2010

07/19/06 4:56PM

Last but certainly not least, Nicole Kazuba (Chantilly, VA) comes to William and Mary after earning five all-state honors in the pole vault. Including sweeping the Virginia AAA indoor and outdoor titles this past year. She has hit 11’ 6â€Â

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”