vaulting spikes?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

climbingmandan
PV Beginner

vaulting spikes?

Unread postby climbingmandan » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:36 pm

What kind of spikes are you guys using? Mine are shot and I was wandering what I should purchase next. What stinks is that I have narrow feet, for a guy, so a lot of models have to wide a toe box. Any suggestions? Also, how many spike holes should the spike plate have? Is more better?
Last edited by climbingmandan on Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:41 pm

some companies make vault specific spikes like Nike, Asics, and Adidas, but many more make tripple jump/pole vault spikes. If you have a tight budget, however, middle-distance spikes work very well.

my own opinion: STAY AWAY FROM SPRINT SPIKES! Get something with padding in the heel, it'll save your feet

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:49 pm

I wear these nike spikes advertised as long jump/pole vault spikes. However ive heard the ideal spike is actually a triple jumping spike shoe. This is because the base of the shoe in a triple jumping shoe is stiff, so that you can bounce hard on it without it moving. This might also be good for your wide feet, i have that too. I just got these Long Jump/PV spikes last year, but the zipper already broke, so ill probably need new ones.

http://www.runningunlimited.com/images/Nike/Zoom%20LJ%203.jpgThis is the spike i have now.

http://www.runnersworld.pl/images/107043-101.jpg
These are the ones i am probably going to get next, which i highly suggest.

another site taht has some good jumping shoes.
http://www.eastbay.com/
http://www.firsttothefinish.com/
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Borntovault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Club Team Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.25
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud

Unread postby Borntovault » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:20 pm

I suggest the LJ Spikes I had them and I loved them I tried the Nike PVs and I like them but the Nike LJs work much better. By the way they are good for narrow feet I too have narrow feet.
Chris Spear

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:19 pm

I just got the Nike PV Lite shoe and i really like the way they feel (although my feet are very wide and the shoes arn't) but I have not have enough time to say wether or not I like them better than my TJ spikes

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:25 am

theczar wrote:I just got the Nike PV Lite shoe and i really like the way they feel (although my feet are very wide and the shoes arn't) but I have not have enough time to say wether or not I like them better than my TJ spikes

haha...the hardest thing about the PV Lites is just getting them on :P

I've used both, and they both work well. I kind of prefer the extra bit of tilt that the Nike PV/TJ's give you, but since I'm always on my toes anyways, it's not that big of a deal.

My advice, especially if this is your first time buying spikes, go to your local running store that carries the spikes (this might be a little hard now since it's the off-season) and try multiple types on...walk around in them, jump up and down a bit, and see which ones you prefer. :yes:
Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars

SKOT
PV Pro

Re: vaulting spikes?

Unread postby SKOT » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:00 pm

climbingmandan wrote: What stinks is that I have narrow feet, for a guy, so a lot of models have to wide a toe box. Any suggestions?

If I remember correctly, the New Ballance jump spikes are rather narrow compared to the other jump spikes. you should take a look at those.

climbingmandan
PV Beginner

Thanks

Unread postby climbingmandan » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:20 pm

Thanks for the info. :D

JumpinSkiing
PV Nerd

Unread postby JumpinSkiing » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:00 pm

I wear sprint spikes and I love vaulting in them.

Zoom Super Shift.

Got them on sale on eastbay for 40 bucks, best 40 bucks i've ever spent. I wear them too much though there's a hole in the toe of one, but seriously, I love vaulting in sprint spikes.

pvgrl09
PV Whiz

Unread postby pvgrl09 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:19 pm

yeah i love to use
the nike zoom triple jump / pole vault shoes
i love mine to death and they are what i always get!
work, sweat, tears, and pain... all of this for just one gain.
are you tough enough?

lysergicvaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby lysergicvaulter » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:22 pm

i just got my nike LJ/PV spikes in the mail today, and tried them out for 4 hours, and i love them already, the only problem i had with them was that they affected my run so much(faster) i had to move my step 3 feet(from only 5 lefts)

climbingmandan
PV Beginner

I love the smell of new shoes...

Unread postby climbingmandan » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:56 pm

I purchased the zoom rival sprint by nike from eastbay for a totall of 27 bucks (including shipping). I am very happy with them. Thanks again for all the beta. Rock on!
VAULTING ISN'T EVERY THING, IT IS THE ONLY THING!

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”