summer speed training

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
CrossBarHOpper
PV Pro

Unread postby CrossBarHOpper » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:38 am

Hey matT just relized this was you You SHouldnt watch as much TV that would help
hey guys! Abe Lincoln?
Sophmore PR 14'6"

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:33 pm

polevaulter08nw wrote:is it bad to run xc for summer while vaulting as well? and then run xc in the fall?

Cross country is fine if you want to be the next great middle distance runner (Alan Webb), but if you want to pole vault high you may want to reconsider. If your approach is 90 feet to 120 feet you should do speed work to be efficient and fast for that distance. You need to be sport specific with your training. Have fun pole vaulting (practice, practice, practice) this summer with your friends. Do fun competitive things to improve your speed and strength (40-50 yard dash times, pull ups, and hand stand push ups. I would much rather do sport specific training than running around the neighborhood in the heat and humidity. Good luck this summer. :D

Carolina21
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.59

Unread postby Carolina21 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:38 am

If you are looking to do something to gain some more fitness instead of long runs try things more like jumping speed rope for 15-20 minutes. It a great cardio workout and will be much more beneficial than longer distance type runs. As most everyone said CC is not going to be a big help, its certainly better than doing nothing but there are better workouts to help you excel in vaulting. Vaulters are sprinters, so to get faster on the runway you gotta train more like a sprinter.
-Rise to the occasion
PR: 18' 4.0

VAVAULTER
PV Nerd
Expertise: College coach for 10 years.
Lifetime Best: 17'(5.20)
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby VAVAULTER » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:10 am

You also need to rest. Rest over the summer is huge. You do not want to come into fall or indoor track running your fastest. you do want to come in with a good aerobic base and some form of strength training. But not aggressive sprint training over the summer. if you vault over the summer. then there is your speed training. Your body can only hold high levels of speed for so long before it starts to decline.
Now there are different types of strength training. you have strength for distance, sprints, and jumps. sprints and jumps tend to be the same. But there are still differences in those two groups. strength for a 400 runner is different from a HJer or PVer. So choose your training wisely. You probably want to peek at the indoor state meet and the outdoor statemeet. Not the first day of practice.
So you should understand that you should come to the first day of practice a little out of shape. But have a good aerobic base and strength that you feel like you can step on the runway at anytime.
Love Life, Live Life, Be Happy!!!!!

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:57 am

VAVAULTER wrote:You also need to rest. Rest over the summer is huge. You do not want to come into fall or indoor track running your fastest. you do want to come in with a good aerobic base and some form of strength training. But not aggressive sprint training over the summer. if you vault over the summer. then there is your speed training. Your body can only hold high levels of speed for so long before it starts to decline.
Now there are different types of strength training. you have strength for distance, sprints, and jumps. sprints and jumps tend to be the same. But there are still differences in those two groups. strength for a 400 runner is different from a HJer or PVer. So choose your training wisely. You probably want to peek at the indoor state meet and the outdoor statemeet. Not the first day of practice.
So you should understand that you should come to the first day of practice a little out of shape. But have a good aerobic base and strength that you feel like you can step on the runway at anytime.
I deffinitly peaked early, sprinting i peaked the first meet of indoor and vault i peaked at the first meet of outdoor.... only improved slightly afterwords even though i was working harder.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

skivaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby skivaulter » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:41 am

Just toss in a few pickups and accelerators into your normal runs, they'll keep your speed muscles there and retain some speed. As to the X-C definately not, used to do it and stopped dropped 1.5s on my 100m, slows you down way too much. If you want to do a fall sport do volleyball, lots of jumping helps get that up.
"Look at your hand like the secret of Life is written on it."

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:58 am

Or do what im doing, im joining the XC team but they will list me and my friend as "managers". So we show up and lift, do some vault drills, and a little running. THen vault once a week. This is what to do if you are really serious about vaulting.... i used to play football and it gets you a lot faster and stronger. Soccer is great for speed and quickness too.

TheBigMastodon
PV Nerd

Unread postby TheBigMastodon » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:36 am

Yeah football has definitely helped prepare me for vaulting. Not just the season, but the summer lifting and conditioning that football requires. I greatly focus on imroving my power for football (ie squats, push sled, flip tires, powercleans) and this really helps your speed and power.

4 lifts that I believe improve your speed more than anything else are snatch grip deadlifts, reverse hyperextensions, powercleans and speed box squats. If you do these lifts hard and heavy your speed and power will greatly increase. Once you have the strength, add some plyometric work and youll really see some changes. A typical regimine for me would look like this:

Mon (focus on lifting heavy)

Snatch deads 4x5
one legged split squats 3x8
Reverse hypers 3x10
decline situps (weighted) 4x10

Thurs (focus in lifting fast and explosive)

speed box squat 10x2 (30 second rest)
powercleans 3x8
Reverse hypers 3x10
rotational ab work 4x10 each side

This workout greatly targets the posterior chain (glutes,hams, lowerback), the most important thing to running fast, but often neglected by most athletes. If you follow this and get the most out of it, your speed and jumping ability will greatly improve. Once you feel like you strength levels are up to par you can add some plyometric work to this. This is how Ive been lifting and how I continue to lift this summer because it works so well.
First year of track and field.

PR - 13'

Hit me up on AIM!

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:09 am

TheBigMastodon wrote:Yeah football has definitely helped prepare me for vaulting. Not just the season, but the summer lifting and conditioning that football requires. I greatly focus on imroving my power for football (ie squats, push sled, flip tires, powercleans) and this really helps your speed and power.

4 lifts that I believe improve your speed more than anything else are snatch grip deadlifts, reverse hyperextensions, powercleans and speed box squats. If you do these lifts hard and heavy your speed and power will greatly increase. Once you have the strength, add some plyometric work and youll really see some changes. A typical regimine for me would look like this:

Mon (focus on lifting heavy)

Snatch deads 4x5
one legged split squats 3x8
Reverse hypers 3x10
decline situps (weighted) 4x10

Thurs (focus in lifting fast and explosive)

speed box squat 10x2 (30 second rest)
powercleans 3x8
Reverse hypers 3x10
rotational ab work 4x10 each side

This workout greatly targets the posterior chain (glutes,hams, lowerback), the most important thing to running fast, but often neglected by most athletes. If you follow this and get the most out of it, your speed and jumping ability will greatly improve. Once you feel like you strength levels are up to par you can add some plyometric work to this. This is how Ive been lifting and how I continue to lift this summer because it works so well.

Great idea, good luck with your training. Maybe do some pull ups, hand stand push ups and do not forget about doing swing ups on a high bar or pull up bar.

Powervaulter
PV Whiz

Unread postby Powervaulter » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:54 am

I like all the suggestions here. For what it's worth, here's one more...

If you're looking to improve fitness for pole vault, you could do repeat 50's, or 100's, so that you don't detract from your focus on speed, but you still get the benefit of improving your fitness. You could also do lots of vaults on a small pole.

As for the XC, if it's something that you enjoy doing, there's no harm in doing the occasional (say once a week) recovery run. Try to find a trail to run on, as opposed to on the street/sidewalk. This will save your legs.

Hope that's helpful.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:37 pm

Make sure if you are lifting you dont over-build muscle without building tendon and ligament strength, thats how you get shin splints, pulled or torn tendons, or sore joints. Just do bubkas and pull ups for upper body tendons and ligaments, then make sure you stretch after every workout, and work on your range of motion overall with your hips and leg muscles.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:51 am

good morning

i posted a very good, tried and tested program.. 6 weeks long..

i think it's on page 3 of the thread.

you pull a sled... run uphill.. and do speed ladder drills 3 days a week..

or you can choose to do just one of these 3 days a week..

it's about an hour.. with a warm up.. and speed drills

and has gotten everyone faster.........

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”