Isi updates ...

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Isinbayeva's 2006 summer schedule

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:35 pm

From the guestbook on Isi's website...
Yelena wrote:
Iaroslav wrote:wish new success 06 April 2006 13:02

Dear Yelena Inform, please, about your plans for this season. In which tournaments are you going to participate? Thanks. Avoid traumas, stay injure-free!!! I wish new victories and records. Always your fan.

At the moment my program looks like this:

I will start on the 8th of July in Paris and one week after I will compete in Lausanne. After that I will be in Stockholm and London. In August I have the European Championships and the 4 Nations clash in Birmingham. Then I fly over to Brussels and have to decide which competiotion I will step in before the GP final in Stuttgart. Then we will see ...

I think it's allready enough.

YI

And for those who prefer it in a tabular form:

Code: Select all

08 Jul   Gaz de France            Paris
   11 Jul   Athletissima             Lausanne
   25 Jul   DN Galan                 Stockholm
   28 Jul   Norwich Union GP         London
07-13 Aug   European Championships   Göteborg
19-20 Aug   NU Int'l (GB-CN-RU-US)   Birmingham
   25 Aug   Memorial Van Damme       Brussels
09-10 Sep   World Athletics Final    Stuttgart

And finally, links to the websites for these meets:
Gaz de France
Athletissima
DN Galan
Norwich Union London GP
European Championships
Norwich Union International (GB-CN-RU-US)
Memorial Van Damme
World Athletics Final

Edit: Doh! China is 'CN' not 'CH'!

Edit again: The real WAF website is now up.
Last edited by BruceFlorman on Sat May 06, 2006 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Another award nomination

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:38 pm

It's a pretty slow period for PV news, but ...
On 10 April 2006, Советский спорт (Sovetskiy sport) wrote:"SLAVA" (GLORY) Awards

The nominees for the IVth national sport "GLORY" awards, the formal presentation ceremony of which takes place on 22 April in the central academic theater of the Russian army, were announced by three-time Olympic champion Irina Rodnina, the President of "GLORY", the public academy for the study of prominent sport achievements.

The agency of sport information "Vyes sport" reports that the awards will be presented in nine categories based on the vote totals of the members of the academy, while the laureate of the "legend" nomination will be determined by the council of the academy. Let us note that Yelena Isinbaeva, who received the best sportswoman award last year, has been nominated for the title once again.

pelle3
PV Whiz

Unread postby pelle3 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:06 am

IAAF Ratifies Isinbayeva:s WR:
Source

Pole Vault
4.91m Yelena Isinbayeva RUS, Donetsk, UKR, 12 Feb 06

Previous: 4.90m Yelena Isinbayeva RUS, Madrid, ESP, 6 Mar 05

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Best sportswoman of 2005 in Russia

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:47 pm

Hot off the press ...
RusAthletics.com wrote:Лучшая спортсменка 2005 года в России
Сегодня в Москве состоялась церемония вручения ежегодной Национальной спортивной премии «Слава». Многократная рекордсменка мира в прыжке с шестом Елена Исинбаева второй год подряд победила в номинации «Лучшая спортсменка».

Best sportswoman of 2005 in Russia
Today in Moscow the annual presentation ceremony of the sport "Slava" (Glory) awards took place. For the second year in a row the multiple world record holder in pole vaulting, Yelena Isinbaeva, won in the category "Best Sportswoman".

And from KP.ru ...
Yelena Isinbaeva tries on the wreath
of the 2005 sports queen

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:18 pm

Slow week for news, so ...
Комсомольская правда (Komsomolskaya pravda) wrote:24 April 2006

Isinbayeva and Zhurova came out shining

At the presentation ceremony of the national sport “Slava” (Glory) awards Yelena Isinbaeva was presented the title best sportswoman of year, and Svetlana Zhurova sang with the group “Blestyashchiye” (Shining).

Lena Isinbaeva is worthy of this award: 19 world records is a splendid result. There were three nominees: Ira Slutskaya, Tanya Lebedeva and Isinbaeva. In the end, Ira Slutskaya received her prize as well - in the “will to win” category, and we congratulate her. But Lena Isinbaeva rose to her pedestal.

Two hours before the ceremony I asked her whether she felt that she would again, like a year ago, be declared greatest.

“Everyone, who received this nomination is worthy of the award”, answered the sportswoman modestly. I tell her from what I’d heard, that based on all the parameters she must win. Lena was very frank: “Probably, we all are equal in this game. And if someone else wins, I will congratulate her with pleasure.”

Isinbaeva won. Literally right after ceremony she flew off to Italy, where her new trainer Vitaly Petrov awaits, who will lead her to further records. “I have very many starts ahead,” says Lena. “I promise approximately five or six world records in this year. I need to catch up with Sergey Bubka. I’ll raise the bar until the time I jump over this great man.”

But everyone at the ceremony was more astonished by Olympic champion Svetlana Zhurova. For the complete program she joined the group “Shining”. The spectators in the theater of the Russian army were enraptured. For a long time they did not release the new soloist from the scene. However, Sveta was not the only sports vocalist to astonish them. Alina Kabayeva performed a splendid song, dedicated to her trainer Irina Wiener.

Laureates of the “Slava” awards

“Best sportsman”: Aleksandr Zubkov (bobsled).
“Best sportswoman”: Yelena Isinbaeva (light athletics).
“Best men’s team”: CSKA (football).
“Best women’s team”: national handball team.
“Best trainer”: Irina Wiener (artistic gymnastics).
“Discovery of the year”: Olga Kapranova (artistic gymnastics).
“Will to win”: Irina Slutskaya (figure skating).
“Fair Play”: Pavel Kolobkov (fencing, most titled swordsman on the planet).
“Overcoming”: Igor Plotnikov (swimming, athlete without both hands).

Vladimir KOZIN kozin@kp.ru

Edited to restore the text lost due to the old server's improper handling of non-ANSI text.
Last edited by BruceFlorman on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Isi etc. released from EC selection process

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Wed May 03, 2006 10:14 am

A press release from yesterday…
Спорт-Экспресс (Sport-Express) wrote:02.05.2006

Isinbaeva, Lebedeva, Slesarenko and Rybakov are guaranteed selection to the European Championships

Olympic champions Yelena Isinbaeva, Tatiana Lebedeva, Yelena Slesarenko, and the 2006 "winter" world champion Yaroslav Rybakov will be automatically included in the national team will compete at the main start of the summer season – the August European championship of light athletics in Sweden. The chief state trainer for light athletics, Valery Kulichenko, reported this to "Vyes sport", the agency of sport information.

"We received written requests from the four named athletes to be freed from the selection process to the European Championships," Kulichenko said. "Taking all of the reasons into account, we have decided to grant their requests. All of the remaining athletes will be selected for Sweden on the usual basis. The winners of the Russian Championships in Tula on 11-14 June will automatically be selected to the team. The remaining two vacancies will be determined from the results of the Znamenski Memorial on 23-24 June, and the European Cup on 28-29 June."

Earlier Valery Kulichenko reported that Lyudmila Petrova, who finished second in the famous London marathon and established the new Russian record in that event, had obtained release from the selection process.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Laureus awards

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Mon May 22, 2006 4:07 pm

:mad: :eek: Boo! Hiss! :crying: I demand a recount! :confused:
AFP wrote:Barcelona - Swiss tennis superstar Roger Federer was named Laureus World Sportsman of the year for the second straight year here on Monday with the women's honour going to Croatian skier Janica Kostelic.

South African wheelchair racing athlete Ernst van Dyk has won the Sportsperson of the Year award for an athlete with a disability.

The 24-year-old Federer won the vote of Laureus Academy members ahead of other nominees such as US golfer Tiger Woods, Spanish F1 World Champion Fernando Alonso, Brazilian footballer Ronaldinho and seven-times Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong.

The 23-year-old Kostelic edged out Britain's world marathon champion Paula Radcliffe, Russian pole vault queen Yelena Isinbayeva, Swedish heptathlete Carolina Kluft and Belgian tennis player Kim Clijsters.

There were awards also for Martina Hingis who took the Laureus Comeback of the Year recompense, Spanish tyro Rafael Nadal who was named Newcomer of the Year and the French Formula One Constructors Champions Renault who won Team of the Year.

;) Source

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Re: Laureus awards

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Mon May 22, 2006 4:27 pm

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Re: Isinbayeva's 2006 summer schedule

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:15 am

Schneikies! According to the calender on her website, Isi seems to have added three more meets to her summer schedule without telling me! :eek:

I say "seems" because I can't find any reference to any of the three new competitions either at the IAAF site or at gbrathletics.com. So I dunno what's up with that. The first is supposed to be in Warsaw on August 30th, and the other two are in Yokohama on September 24th, and Daegu, South Korea on September 28th. A quick check of Monika Pyrek's site does show something called "Elite Pedros Cup - Warszawa" on 30.08, so evidently MP thinks there's going to be competition there that day as well. ;)

So anyway, assuming that there's no typos for any of these dates, here's Isi's updated summer schedule:

Code: Select all

08 Jul   Gaz de France            Paris
   11 Jul   Athletissima             Lausanne
   25 Jul   DN Galan                 Stockholm
   28 Jul   Norwich Union GP         London
07-13 Aug   European Championships   Göteborg
19-20 Aug   NU Int'l (GB-CN-RU-US)   Birmingham
   25 Aug   Memorial Van Damme       Brussels
   30 Aug   Elite Pedros Cup         Warsaw
09-10 Sep   World Athletics Final    Stuttgart
   24 Sep   Seiko Super Meet (???)   Yokohama
   28 Sep   (???)                    Daegu

I sure hope she knows what she's doing. She competed eleven times last summer as well, and kinda fell apart after her sixth competition ... if winning four out of five can be called "falling apart". But there's no doubt that her NH in Yokohama last year was a rather downbeat way to close out the season. Her schedule in '04 was significantly lighter (I think only seven competitions), and when she originally announced eight competitions and said "I think it's already enough", I figured she was going back to what had worked better for her in the past. But who knows? Maybe she feels like she owes the folks in Yokohama something to make up for last year. I'm not complaining.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Russian entries in Isi's guestbook

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:03 pm

Whenever someone asks about my Isinfatuation™, I always trot out the excuse that it's helping me to learn Russian. It's kind of BS, but I really am making some pretty fair progress with the language. I can often read two or three sentences now before I have to whip out my Russian-English dictionary. :D

Anyhow, lately there's been a surge in Russian language traffic through Isi's guestbook, and I've translated them for my own amusement. But I thought maybe somebody else might enjoy seeing them too. Of course I haven't actually asked any of the folks who've left Russian messages if it's alright for me to translate their words and re-post them, and it's certainly possible that my translations might subtly skew their messages in ways that they wouldn't appreciate. But with any kind of luck, they'll never find out. ;)

I guess if Becca feels that my sharing these here is inappropriate, she can always nuke the post.

BTW, the company that administers Isi's website had a bit of a false start with their support for Cyrillic guestbook entries. Perhaps Russian-speaking web techs are hard to find in Monaco. The fans could leave messages in Russian right from the start, but when Yelena replied in Russian, somewhere between her writing them and them getting pasted onto the website, her messages were being corrupted and all of the Cyrillic characters were being replaced by question marks. I suspect that she herself was falling victim to a brain-dead Microsoftism, but by mid-to-late April they managed to get things sorted out. So while she tried to respond in a timely fashion to the Russian messages left prior to that time, none of the replies that I've translated below actually showed up on the site in a readable form until late April. This probably accounts for the two month gap, and the currently ongoing surge.

On 2 March Артём (Artem) wrote:rp
Hi! It's me, Artem from Donetsk :-) How's life? How are you feeling? I got my license, so I will be prepared for work, when I have money for a car. BIG HELLO FROM EVERYONE!!!
In reply, Yelena wrote:Hi Artem! Congratulations for your license, well done! Everything is fine with me, satisfactory health, preparing for the summer season. Say hello to everyone from me. My answer was late, since there were problems with the computer. How is your progress?

On 11 March albert wrote:albert
Congratulations on victory over the world.
In reply, Yelena wrote:many thanks!

On 28 March Dr3-11 wrote:...
I randomly visited here, but I cannot pass by)) But what to say I don't know))) Hey, this is what I will say: gladden your admirers not only by good jumps to 5 meters, but also by your beauty! ;-) That's right!))
In reply, Yelena wrote::)
Okay, some translations are more difficult than others.

On 2 April Вика (Vika) wrote:Hello!
Hello Yelena! I am crazy about your leaps, attitude, and competitive skill. You are one of my idols (second is Tatiana Lebedeva). I am involved with light athletics and want to dedicate my life to this matter! Thank you for everything that you do and for inspiring the junior generation of athletes like me. :) I have big problems with my competitive attitude, always very nervous and this interferes :( ! How did you handle this matter in the beginning of your long journey??? Thanks in advance. You are the best!!!
In reply, Yelena wrote:Hello Vika! You must leave to all of your starts as if to a holiday, with complete internal confidence in yourself, always disposed for a tough fight. Dedicate each of your competitions to someone; this will give you extra incentive! All the best!!!

On 8 April Сидор(Аладин) (Sidor(Aladin)) wrote:To Yelena
Hi beautiful Yelena. I've been pole vaulting for 6 years already, but in no way can I jump 4-70. I decided to give up the sport. Please advise me, what should I do? I can't do without sports, so my parents advise me to take up the bobsled, since I run fast and am quite healthy, and really very strong. Matiyelo and Denis even call me ROBOCOP! With respect, your SID/AL
In reply, Yelena wrote:Hi Sidor! I want you absolutely under no circumstances to give up sports, and in particular pole vaulting. We can't stop if something doesn't turn out. Only through labor and faith in yourself will you achieve results. Not relenting, but striving to achieve your goal. Good luck!!!

On 13 April Вика (Vika) wrote:Hello!
Hello Yelena! It's a shame that you don't answer in the Russian language. But you are the best all the same!
In reply, Yelena wrote:Thank you Vika! There were small problems with the computer, but now I can also answer in Russian! Good luck!

On 14 April Лиза (Liza) wrote:HI
Hello, Lena!!! How is your progress??? How is your preparation for Paris in July??? I have faith in your victory!!! Good luck
In reply, Yelena wrote:Many thanks Liza, for the warm words and wishes. They are very pleasant for me! My preparation goes well. I will try!

On 17 June Валерия (Valeria) wrote:Yes
Hello Yelena! My name is Lera, I am 11 years old, and I live in Rostov on Don. I'm involved in light athletics too. I want to reach the same high results in sport as you have. I wish you success in life and high achievements in sport!
In reply, Yelena wrote:Hello Valeria! Thank you very much for your pleasant wishes to me! You're an umnitsa for striving to achieve something in sports. I wish you good luck and great success!
Okay, my Russian-English dictionary says "umnitsa" (умница) means "good girl" or "clever person", but I felt "You're a good girl for striving ..." sounded too patronizing, and I couldn't think of a similar colloquialism in English. The best I could come up with off the top of my head was "You're a peach for striving ...", but that's not really right either. So I've just left it as "umnitsa".

On 18 June Андрей (Andrey) wrote:Plans
Lena, good day! My name is Andrey, I'm your long time admirer. :) Tell me please, will your starts in Yokohama and Daegu be your last of this season? Did you also receive an invitation to participate in the Moscow "Russian Challenge" tournament, where you participated last year? Thanks. Smile! Andrey
In reply, Yelena wrote:Hello Andrey! Yes these starts will the last in my summer season. This year I have a little different competition schedule, therefore I'm not able to participate in the Moscow Challenge! Thanks! All the best!

On 21 June Марат (Marat) wrote:greetings
Hello, Yelena! I don't know whether my first message reached you, but I decided to write to you without waiting for an answer, since my nephews, after learning that I wrote a note to you, asked me to write another with the request to permit them to create your fan club. And of course they asked me to again congratulate you on your birthday, which I do with pleasure. You are a good example for the children of steel, many thanks to you for this. And don't forget that the children of the entire world who dream to become like you, watch any of your appearances and pray for you. P.S. I am often in the village of Chuvek and see your relatives. If it interests you, I can tell you the news of the village and help you to keep a connection with your kinfolk.
In reply, Yelena wrote:Hello Marat! Thanks for the congratulation! I'm very pleased that I've become an example for the kids. Please write in more detail what it means to create my fan-club. I maintain the connection with my relatives through my dad, thanks. But nevertheless, send them my regards the next time you see them. Also a big hi to your kids! All the best!!!
I assume that "children of steel" really means "children of Stalingrad", since Volgograd used to be Stalingrad.

On 21 June Ольга (Olga) wrote:visits home
Hello, Lenochka! Everyone in Volgograd supports and cheers for you. And, of course, await your visits home. But when will we be able to see you here? Success to you at all of your forthcoming starts! And new records without fail!
In reply, Yelena wrote:Hello Olga! Thank you very much for the support and warm words! I greatly love our city and will try to make all my fans happy with my performances. Soon already I will begin to compete, so you hold fists! All the best!
I believe that "hold fists" more or less means "keep your fingers crossed".

On 22 June Ольга (Olga) wrote:pole
Good evening, Lena! You've said several times that you would like to switch to longer and more rigid poles. Will you jump with the new poles in Paris or not yet?
In reply, Yelena wrote:Good evening Olya! Everything will depend upon my condition. So far I've been jumping with the same poles as earlier. But I have the new poles already.

Edit on 26 June to add a couple new entries. --BF

On 24 June Марат (Marat) wrote:hi.
Hello, Yelena! Here in Dagestan you are much loved, especially by the young people. But the rural kids (I mean specifically the young people in Chuvek and the nearby villiages) are unable to visit this site. Therefore even though a fan club is established in Makhachkala, it is called upon to satisfy the needs of the rural youth, including through renovation and expansion of the display dedicated to you, which hangs in the Chuvek school. I hope you will not be against the use of materials from this site for these purposes. Also I would like you to permit some verses, which will appear soon from me, dedicated to you, into your collection. Tell me where I should send these verses so that you can see them and give your appraisal. S/u and wishing you all the best, Marat Agayev al Farouk. I wish you successful appearances, we are rooting for you.
In reply, Yelena wrote:Hello Marat! Certainly you can use materials from my site. It is intended for this. You can direct the verses to my e-mail yelena@yelenaisinbaeva.com. I will read them with pleasure. Thanks! Regards to all!!!
Makhachkala is the capital of Dagestan, which is the provence (semi-autonomous region) where Isi's father was born. I assume that "S/u" is a Russian abbreviation for some friendly words of parting, but I'm not sure exactly what.

On 25 June Ольга (Olga) wrote:weather
Hello Lena! In Volgograd it's now terribly hot, as always at this time of year. And how is the weather there in Italy? Do you like it?
In reply, Yelena wrote:Hello Olya! In Italy now it's also hot. I like it very much here. In the evening it's nice and cool. And I know Volgograd heat :)
Last edited by BruceFlorman on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

A new rumor

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:28 pm

Take this with a very large grain of salt. I was literally laughing out loud when I read the following article this morning. I'll explain why in a moment.

On 29 June Советский спорт (Sovyetskiy Sport) wrote:Isinbaeva may change her light-athletics specialty

The best sportswoman of Russia for the last two years, the European, World and Olympic champion, and current world record holder in women’s pole vaulting, Yelena Isinbaeva may change her light-athletics specialty. It is possible that she will try her strength in the female decathlon, if it is introduced into the program of official international tournaments, with pole vaulting being one of the disciplines. One of the specialists nearest to Yelena Isinbaeva’s training spoke about this to the agency of sport information "Vyes Sport".

The topic of replacing the female heptathlon with the decathlon, which has been seriously discussed for the last five years, has recently again come to the fore. The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) even sent out letters in which they recommend that the national federations begin to promote this form of sport in their home countries.

This season Yelena Isinbaeva will appear exclusively in the pole vault. Her first start will be the Gaz de France tournament in Paris on 8 July, and her primary focus the championship of Europe in Göteborg on 8-13 August. In all she intends to participate in eleven tournaments.

Here's why I thought it was so funny...

As you know, Isi's website has a guestbook section where fans can leave messages and ask questions. Every few weeks through this past spring I've pestered her myself with a variety of inane questions.

In one of her replies back in May, right after attending the Laurus awards in Barcelona, she expressed some disappointment over again not winning the award. Since she’d been beaten out both of the last two years by women who’d won multiple Olympic gold medals, I suggested – with tongue firmly in cheek – that her chances would improve if the women’s deca replaced the hept and she took that up as well. I said I was sure she’d win the PV, but asked how she thought she’d fare in the other nine events. She answered quite straight forwardly, and after reading her reply I wasn’t really sure that she’d caught on that my suggestion wasn’t intended to be serious.

So now, after reading the little article in SS, I’m asking myself: is it completely coincidental, or have I accidentally gone from translating the Russian sports news to indirectly influencing it. I’m certainly no specialist close to Isi’s training, but still I wonder: Is it possible that somebody from Vyes Sport was tasked with getting a quote in advance of her first competition in a week and a half, wasn’t able to quickly get a hold of her in Formia, and decided to run with something he’d picked up from visiting her website? Is that a whole lot less likely than her seriously considering taking up the decathlon?

Evidently I’m not the only one who’s skeptical of the story. Just within the last couple of hours another article was posted on the SS site…
A little later Советский спорт wrote:Kulichenko: I don’t believe that Isinbaeva will take up the decathlon

Olympic pole vault champion Yelena Isinbaeva would hardly change her sport specialization and enter into the female decathlon, according to Valery Kulichenko, the chief state trainer for light athletics. Information that Isinbaeva might become a decathlete was put forth by one of the specialists nearest to the athlete’s training.

“I don’t think all these conversations are founded upon real soil,” said Kulichenko. “Yelena is the most successful sportswoman in the contemporary light athletics world, and furthermore a reasonable person. She would scarcely begin looking around for something better.

“Could she become a leader in the decathlon theoretically? The main difficulty would be the technical forms: shot put, javelin, discus. These forms are extremely complex in terms of technique, and to be successful in them at any serious level is practically impossible for rank novices. Indeed only the top seven Russian decathletes are accepted to participate in the decathlon in the Russian championships! In comparison with the heptathlon in particular, the decathlon adds such technically difficult forms as pole vaulting and discus. For the majority of sportswomen their mastery becomes an insurmountable obstacle – at least from a psychological point view. But I will again say that I don’t believe in the possibility of changing her specialization,” reports the agency of sport information "Vyes Sport".

Wherever it came from, I hope the story doesn’t wind up causing her grief. It’s unlikely that I’ll ever meet her in person. But if I ever do, I’d rather that her first words to me aren’t: “You’re the zhopa who started the decathlon rumor, aren’t you?”

Edited to restore the text lost due to the old server's improper handling of non-ANSI text.
Last edited by BruceFlorman on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Football fan

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:49 pm

An interview in the "VIPs Love Football" section of the FIFA World Cup site on Yahoo at http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060701/1/8gic.html

'Now I am a fan of football!'
1 July 2006
by FIFAworldcup.com

ImageYelena Isinbayeva, pole vault

Yelena Isinbayeva, 24, is a renowned Russian pole vaulter. In 2004, she won Olympic gold with a new world record of 4.91, has been voted Female Athlete of the Year by the IAAF both in 2004 and 2005, and is the holder of numerous world records.

Many see Isinbayeva as the greatest female pole vaulter the world has ever seen, and last year she became the first women in the sport to clear 5.01 metres.

FIFAworldcup.com spoke exclusively to Yelena Isinbayeva about the quarter-final clash between Italy and Ukraine.

You said this is the first World Cup you are following. Are you a ‘new’ football supporter?
At the place were I am staying right now, there are a lot of Brazilian and Argentinian supporters, which is great fun. Now I am a fan of football!

Where did you watch the match?
I saw the game in a special room with a big-screen television.

What did you think of it?
It was very interesting match with a very fast tempo. The Italians put a lot of pressure on and, unfortunately, the Ukraine team made a lot of mistakes. In the second half they tried to raise the tempo by themselves, but then Italy got the second goal. Ukraine was a little bit unlucky today, I thought.

Are you disappointed that the Ukraine team didn’t make it to the semi-finals?
I am a little bit disappointed about that, but I am also happy that they made it to the quarter-finals. This was the first time for them (at a World Cup) in the history of Ukrainian football. They played well and their performance represents a big success for the country.

What was the high point of the game?
I think the third goal. Italy showed then that they have the power and ability to play as well as anyone. Not that I am a specialist about that (laughing).

Is there another team for which your heart beats at the FIFA World Cupâ„¢?
Now, definitely the Brazilian team.

Have you seen any of the other games at Germany 2006 ?
Oh yes. Today I saw Germany–Argentina, and I’ve also watched Ukraine–Switzerland and Ukraine against Spain.

Which game was the most exciting game for you?
Obviously, I support the Ukraine team, so I was very happy when they beat Switzerland in that penalty shout out.

What is your 2006 Final prediction?
The Brazilian team will make it to the final. They are playing excellent football and they are very strong. I guess the Final will be Brazil versus Germany, and Brazil will win.

Full name:
Yelena Isinbayeva

Nationality:
Russian

Activity:
Pole Vault

Fan of:
Cristiano Ronaldo

Greatest Match ever seen:
AC Milan vs Liverpool (when Liverpool won the 2005 UEFA Champions League final on penalties after drawing 3-3)

The first FIFA World Cup you followed:
This is the first World Cup I have followed.

The FIFA World Cup match you would most like to have seen or played in:
Brazil–Ghana

A message a website you would like to promote:
Little Dreams Foundation

Your website:
Yelena Isinbayeva

Return to “Pole Vault - International”