Torn A.C.L

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
dont_touch_my_pole
PV Wannabe

Torn A.C.L

Unread postby dont_touch_my_pole » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:28 pm

Hey,
So my first meet of my second season, I ripped my A.C.L? Little tip in pole vaulting.....NEVER LAND ON YOUR FEET!! I sure your coachs have told you that before, but take it from someone who has ripped there ACL, it hurts like hell! Anyone else ripped they ACL?
"Kick towards God" our school moto

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:15 am

I tore mine last fall (during a football scrimmage though). It sucks majorly, b/c it's gonna lay you up for a good amount of time. Didn't hurt much though, it was the sudden pull I felt that scared me. Is yours torn in the middle or off the bone?

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:05 pm

If its any encouragement, if you do all the exercises and rest that the doctors ask, you can come back just as strong in time. My friend tore is ACL really badly in 10th grade football, so in the fall. By the indoor season of his 11th grade year he was running the 55m dash faster than he ever would have. He went from 7.1 at the beginning of the season to 6.8. There is hope!!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

LHSpolevault
PV Master

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:23 pm

Definitely a lot of hope as long as you stay positive and do everything they tell you to. Mine was a complete tear and repaired on October 6, 2005 and I was still able to PR in my events this outdoor season. It might be frustrating at times, knowing you can't do anything, but while you can't use your leg, do other things to help your upper body. Thats what I spent my time doing until I could work out with my legs again.

Stay positive and do what they tell you and good things will follow. Good luck.

dont_touch_my_pole
PV Wannabe

Unread postby dont_touch_my_pole » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:39 pm

LHSpolevault wrote:I tore mine last fall (during a football scrimmage though). It sucks majorly, b/c it's gonna lay you up for a good amount of time. Didn't hurt much though, it was the sudden pull I felt that scared me. Is yours torn in the middle or off the bone?

I tore mine off the bone. I heard the pop, and then felt the pain. I have two boy coachs who aren't very caring, so they just made me slide off the mat, then lay on the ground and wait for the trainer. But I haven't ever really been hurt before so to me this was the worst pain ever!
"Kick towards God" our school moto

log2
PV Newbie

Unread postby log2 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:13 am

I think I tore my ACL... but not off the bone, hopefully not though, I just wanted to ask what it feels like, can you walk with a slight tear? If you can when does it hurt when stepping? and also it might be the PCL which is rarer, so I want to know when it hurts to walk with a torn PCL

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:36 am

I had a complete tear of the ACL, partial tear of the MCL, and tore both meniscus in one shot back in January of 2002. Last season of eligibility, and 3/4" away from the school record. I had a scope done in February to remove the ACL and torn cartilage. No repair of the ACL was done. They said I should be able to run in a straight line by early May. I was running full speed by early April. I also threw Javelin a few weeks later. (for those who aren't aware, it involves a sideways "shuffle" at near full speed). I was able to grab the record, place 3rd in PV and 5th in Jav in the GLIAC champs. PR'd in both.

Until 2 weeks ago, I'd never felt pain like that before. I had the ACL replaced in Oct '03, I was ready to run in the spring again. Its a long process, but the docs are pretty good at getting ya back in shape.
"Heart"

LHSpolevault
PV Master

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:20 pm

Back in the fall I had a complete tear and also a torn lateral and medial menisci. I wasn't able to walk until about 5 minutes after it happened, then about an hour and a half later (when I was at the hospital), I had to crawl along the wall to move around. It sucked. I had my surgery in October to reconstruct the ACL and repair the menisci. My knee never really bothered me thru the season until now really, where my knee hurts laterally and medially. I think there might be a little tear in there again, oh well lol. Mine wasn't track related... I felt like a wimp too b/c I didn't even get hit when it happened in my game, it was from a major cutback that I tried making (I'm somewhat known to make people fall down when I cutback) lol.

LHSpolevault
PV Master

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:25 pm

...and i just retore my lateral meniscus in my right knee.. wonderful.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”