My best jump of the season -- Video critique

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

My best jump of the season -- Video critique

Unread postby theczar » Tue May 30, 2006 12:11 pm

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8826244740

this isn't a PR or anything, but i was looking through my jumps from this season and this one is my best as far as form and tecnique goes.

what do you guys think? the height is only 14'....

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Tue May 30, 2006 12:56 pm

I think that looks really good. I think if I were to tell you to change something, I think I would say bump your grip up maybe and inch or two. Reason being, you are kind of peaking behind the bar, so the increased grip would limit your penetration.

Also, by raising your grip it will slow down the pole's action a little bit, and I think you could catch even more energy, thus, allowing your chest to rise a little bit more. Your hips get up really well, and once your hips follow a little more, I think you'll like it a lot :yes:

Keep up the good work :yes:

theczar
PV Follower

Unread postby theczar » Tue May 30, 2006 1:19 pm

thanks...but i broke that pole two weeks ago :) that was a 14-6 pole and now i am on a 15 ft pole... so grip is higher now :D

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Tue May 30, 2006 2:41 pm

If you have bigger poles to work with I would look at going to a longer run. Start with going back to 14 steps and then possibly to 16. Your technique is good enough to go 16+ but you just need more speed and get on a stiffer pole.
Chris Milton

jumpbackin
PV Whiz

Unread postby jumpbackin » Tue May 30, 2006 2:45 pm

That was sweet. I can't believe it's only 14, I would have guessed 15'6-16. I guess you just need to get on longer poles.

Was that a stutter step toward the end of the approach?

theczar
PV Follower

Unread postby theczar » Wed May 31, 2006 12:55 am

jumpbackin wrote:Was that a stutter step toward the end of the approach?

I always do that. If you notice it is right when i start the plant. I do that every time and nothing i've done helps get rid of it... I dont even notice it when i do it... and i dont think it limits my run too much.

if anyone can help me fix that stutter step it would be great, because nothing i've tried works. :(

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed May 31, 2006 4:25 pm

awesome jump! i love watching your inversion, its soo nice!! One thing you notice on that pole is that your trail leg is straight, until you are almost inverted, then both knees kinda bend to spring over. Try to keep at least that one trail leg straight.... i believe it loads the pole a little more? Other than that, do a ton of pole runs and really work the last 2 lefts being POP POP POP! its hard to tell but i think you can put more explosion into your last step, still looks good tho!! niice jump.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

fx
PV Whiz

Unread postby fx » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:29 pm

looking at a lot of your jumps, it looks like at takeoff, you are looking down, maybe at the box. It is better if you look up more. Aside from that, goood looking jumps!

theczar
PV Follower

Unread postby theczar » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:31 pm

fx wrote:looking at a lot of your jumps, it looks like at takeoff, you are looking down, maybe at the box. It is better if you look up more.

lol....i've been hearing that all season from like everyone! this was an early season jump (second or third meet), but since then i've been doing better on keeping my head and chest up.

blakedow
PV Nerd

Unread postby blakedow » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:10 am

Great jump... You have a lot of potential... I would say that you could correct some things that are going wrong in the air (i.e. bent trail leg at the top, throwing your head back) by simply fixing your run, especially your last six steps... I've found that "The List" posted by dj has helped me greatly with my run... I went from a 14' vaulter to a 15'9" vaulter in literally a few weeks of working rigorously on "The List"... Give it a shot and see if it works for you... :yes:
4.75... Write THAT down...

fx
PV Whiz

Unread postby fx » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:47 pm

What List is this? I tried searching for "The List" with DJ as the author and couldnt find anything. Are you talking about the midmark chart?

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:46 pm

haha yo peter hollenback! This might sound kinda weird, but I just started polevaulting this year. And at the beginning of the season I looked on video google for polevaulting stuff and I saw a bunch of your jumps. So for awhile I've been watching your jumps to see how I could improve mine. Well anyway my jumps aren't nearly as high, but I your vids helped me.

And yeah I agree. I was watching that video and I thought that one had the best form (or looked the coolest lol).

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”