plant problem?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

EPVaulter1
PV Wannabe

plant problem?

Unread postby EPVaulter1 » Wed May 17, 2006 10:18 pm

ok so here's the story
i've been vauling for about a year and havent had much of a problem
but as i start to get to the higher heights & start moving up poles... many coaches (mine & others) have told me that i dont keep my arms straight and that i pull down on the pole which bends the pole too much and doesnt let it recoil...
my question is, is there any drills or anything that i can do to stop me from doing this... all i have done so far is just use self discipline to keep my arms straight... which only works about 1/2 the time when i actually remember to do it
if you want, check out my video to see
any ideas?
RJ
130lbs
5'6"
PR - 13'0"

Just Go!

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat May 20, 2006 9:51 am

well basically drills are to help you make things into a habit, and if you are already correcting it half the time, and all you have to do is think about it, just do it like that for at least 3 days to a week and i bet it will become a habit. Just think about being as tall as you can be, that should get your top hand from coming down and overbending the pole.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

EPVaulter1
PV Wannabe

Unread postby EPVaulter1 » Sun May 28, 2006 11:16 pm

Any other thoughts for me?
I haven't got to vault for a couple weeks now & its quite depressing, i've had other practices, banquets, work, and weather problems
but as i walk around sometimes i'll notice that i will just throw my arms up into my plant position and try to keep my arms straight... maybe it'll help in the long run
but any other drills or ideas?
RJ

130lbs

5'6"

PR - 13'0"

Just Go!

log2
PV Newbie

Unread postby log2 » Sun May 28, 2006 11:21 pm

well there is a drill that you can do to prevent your top hand from pulling down, it's called hangs (at least that's what I call them) I just do them from my 4 step, some people do 6, other people are just crazy... but just hold the pole in your top hand only on top of your shoulder, of course at a lower grip, so your not on the end of the pole... then run to the box, and plant, try to catch your back foot on the pole and drive the drive knee up, don't grab onto the pole with your block hand, I know it seems weird, but don't

LPVG
PV Fan

Unread postby LPVG » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:29 pm

You need to spend some time with a slidebox. If you are fully extended, you should be able to feel your oblique muscles on the side of your waist. Check out this link. Might give you some ideas
LPVG
http://www.elitepolevaulttools.com/Page ... evault.htm

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”