Rules for passing heights

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

karl
PV Newbie

Rules for passing heights

Unread postby karl » Wed May 10, 2006 3:47 pm

Article 15 of the NFHS rules states an athlete is permitted one warm-up jump if they have passed three consecutive heights.

If an athlete has passed six consecutive heights do they get two warm-up jumps?

ChristopherWalkin
PV Newbie

Unread postby ChristopherWalkin » Wed May 10, 2006 5:01 pm

I know if you pass 3 you get a runthrough, and then jump, and pass 3 more, you get another runthrough for a total of 2 runthroughs. :idea:
I came, I saw, I cleared

Texasvaulter07
PV Whiz

Unread postby Texasvaulter07 » Wed May 10, 2006 5:40 pm

you only get one run through after 3 or more consecutive heights. and to answer your question no if you pass six heights you will not get 2 jumps unless you clear the 4th bar and pass 3 more times.
Vault Old School wrote:Hey I was just wondering if anybody out there knew Bubka's Height, Weight, Body Fat%, etc. when he was competing?

bjvando wrote:i heard he was 7 ft tall, with a negative body-fat percentage......

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed May 10, 2006 7:33 pm

haha id just pass at hieghts 7-13 and get.... 12 times 3 equals... 36 warm up jumps! haha
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Wed May 10, 2006 9:17 pm

a hieght is 7-7'6 not the three attemps you have at the height.
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Wed May 10, 2006 11:37 pm

The rules say one warm up jump. So does that mean we can take a run through to catch our step (or however many we need)? It says jump and does not specify run throughs.
Just you wait...

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Thu May 11, 2006 8:20 am

you're pickin buggers!
You get one chance to run down the runway and do whatever. That is, to actually popup or just run though the pit. If you like, you can start at the pit and run back .
Regardless, you get one chance. That chance is your warm-up jump.

LancerVaulter07
PV Pro

Unread postby LancerVaulter07 » Thu May 11, 2006 10:53 am

i always [well. usually] bank on this rule and meets where we start 9' - 10' - 10'6'' ... ill come in at 11' to get a popup cuz by then ive been doing not much at all for about 2 - 3 hours or so and one meet the guy wouldnt let us have our warmup jump cuz [to put it nicest] he was a jerk, and 3 out of 6 kids comin in at 11 NHed... i got lucky and cleared on my 3rd jump and ended up in 4th overal
"Just Fly"

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Thu May 11, 2006 11:08 am

LancerVaulter07 wrote:i always [well. usually] bank on this rule and meets where we start 9' - 10' - 10'6'' ... ill come in at 11' to get a popup cuz by then ive been doing not much at all for about 2 - 3 hours or so and one meet the guy wouldnt let us have our warmup jump cuz [to put it nicest] he was a jerk, and 3 out of 6 kids comin in at 11 NHed... i got lucky and cleared on my 3rd jump and ended up in 4th overal

it takes 2-3 hours for the bar to get from 9' to 11'??? :dazed:

maybe you should try to have a high school rule book with you in case the official tries pulling that again.

this is a little off the subject, but the rule in college meets makes more sense. if an hour has passed before you come in you get 2 minutes on the runway.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Thu May 11, 2006 11:37 am

Mecham wrote:The rules say one warm up jump. So does that mean we can take a run through to catch our step (or however many we need)? It says jump and does not specify run throughs.

You get one time down the runway, without a crossbar. You can jump or not; your choice.

It is important to note you must take your "jump" at the time of a crossbar height change and, you must enter the competition immediately thereafter.

- master

karl
PV Newbie

Unread postby karl » Thu May 11, 2006 12:42 pm

Thanks for the replys. They are all consistent with my interpretation of the rules.

We had a league coach try the "one run for every three heights passed". I didn't buy it.

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Thu May 11, 2006 9:53 pm

Vaultref, check me on this one if I'm wrong, high school rules allow one run through after three passes but the vaulter must enter the competition at that bar. The vaulter can never save up run through and that carries over to USATF rules, although the vaulter can pass 3 bars have a run through then pass three more and have another run through. Skyin Brian is right, NCAA rules make more sense(shocking since most don't). If officials AND vaulters work together comps go much quicker. High school rules allow for a minute and a half to initiate a vault after the pit is set. Except for tricky winds, a vaulter should get on the runway ready to vault, start the approach and go clear the bar during the meat of the comp, it should not take 1.5 minutes, more like 15 seconds. Speed the competition up with good officials and accomadating vaulters 60 vaults an hour is reasonable and run throughs don't become such an issue. I, of course, am dreaming of a perfect situation, but the more of us on this board certify as officials and volunteer at meets, the efficiency will pick up. If you love the event, don't sit in the bleachers and complain, volunteer and help out, those bleachers make your butt hurt anyway.
compete and jump safe, have fun

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”