Hand blister!!

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Hand blister!!

Unread postby theczar » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:41 pm

my blister just popped three days ago, and after cleaning it, i tried to jump on it today. I took one jump and the pain was so bad i couldnt hold onto the pole.

Now it is basically a big, bloody, sore hole in my hand and I still have a few weeks of track to go...

what do i do??? Help!!

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:36 pm

Alright....here is what I was told to do in High School.....It sounds wierd, but it worked....Tincture Of Benzoin.....it is used as a medical adhesive sometimes....just ask a pharmacist for it......it smells bad, and only put it on the spots that you want to make hard......

trust me.....I used it in high school, and I have NEVER had another painful blister in the spots I used it....I have had dead skin come off, but never again a blister
Man Up and Jump

PVgoalie101
PV Pro

Unread postby PVgoalie101 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:23 am

i just had one on my hand rip yesterday. after some witty banter from my coach about amputating my hand and/or fingers, I picked up some liquid bandaid stuff. the new skin kind. its worked so far.
Save a pole, ride a vaulter

theczar
PV Follower

Unread postby theczar » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:40 pm

PVgoalie101 wrote:i just had one on my hand rip yesterday. after some witty banter from my coach about amputating my hand and/or fingers, I picked up some liquid bandaid stuff. the new skin kind. its worked so far.

I have been using the new skin stuff for the whole season this year, and I have found that it makes my blisters hard, and VERY prone to cracking, which is what just happened. Now there is a big hole there, and letting it get hard again is the last thing that I want to do (that's my own opinion)

Right now I have a band-aid with Bacetrasin stuff on it to keep it moist.

efhspolevaulter91
PV Wannabe

same here

Unread postby efhspolevaulter91 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:06 pm

hey dude i got a two huge blisters, i fold a lil piece of tape and set in on the blister, then just tape in about 5 times around ur hand, cuz as long as u have blood, they will let u tape it in comp.

reggiereeves
PV Fan

Unread postby reggiereeves » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:10 pm

i would just forget about it! No really, after you vault for a couple more days it should just turn into callis, mine did. or just

karl
PV Newbie

Re: Hand blister!!

Unread postby karl » Mon May 01, 2006 10:02 am

theczar wrote:my blister just popped three days ago, and after cleaning it, i tried to jump on it today. I took one jump and the pain was so bad i couldnt hold onto the pole.

Now it is basically a big, bloody, sore hole in my hand and I still have a few weeks of track to go...

what do i do??? Help!!

In an emergency situation, I recommend using superglue. Put a thin layer over the blister, let dry for a few seconds and repeat. You will be good to go within a minute.

I was skeptical about doing this, but it works very well when you don't have time to allow the blister to properly heal.

Obviously be careful about sticking yourself together or to the pole...

cliff
PV Newbie

Unread postby cliff » Sun May 07, 2006 11:50 pm

reggiereeves wrote:i would just forget about it! No really, after you vault for a couple more days it should just turn into callis, mine did. or just

that worked for me too

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Mon May 08, 2006 12:24 am

neosporin, band-aid, then tape

in general, try to keep your hands most with lotion or vaseline at night...eventually, you'll just have a lot of callouses and you'll have skin come off, but no more bad blisters :)
Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars

LancerVaulter07
PV Pro

Unread postby LancerVaulter07 » Mon May 08, 2006 9:05 am

handblisters suck. but ive had worse, littleraly the day before i was going to camp last summer, i sliced half of the tip of my right pointer finger (top hand) off. no exageration, i mean clear off, from that top knucle to the tip on a good angle from a damn vegatable slicer... that was tough to vault with....
"Just Fly"

theczar
PV Follower

Unread postby theczar » Tue May 09, 2006 10:25 pm

this is frustrating. I've tried all of the above (yes, all of them) and today my blister (which isn't even a blister anymore, just a big crack in my hand) reopened and it bled so bad that blood dripped of my finger!

Confrence meet is 2 days away...what do I do????

Return to “Pole Vault - General”