Mentally WEAK

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:48 pm

What book are you reading?
Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars

Vaulter Babe
PV Newbie

Unread postby Vaulter Babe » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:12 pm

Mind Gym by Gary Mack with David Casstevens, it has helped a lot so far

LancerVaulter07
PV Pro

Unread postby LancerVaulter07 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:16 am

i can relate to the feeling... ive been jumping so bad lately and havent had a new PR in a looooooong time... but i can def tell my head isnt all there this season... i know for a fact it has alot to do with football coming up but i really need to step up my game and start jumping with a cause cuz i dont like plateau-ing... (however that word is spelled)...
"Just Fly"

Ming3r
PV Whiz

Unread postby Ming3r » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:17 pm

Hm, today I can really relate to the mentally weak - after the bar moved up to 10', I just got scared. Like, sure the pit was lower so the bar seemed higher, but I almost freaked out. I mean, for the first 2 attempts, my first one I ran through 3 times and stopped, and my second one twice. Managed to clear it at 10', and then the same thing happened at 10'6" except I didn't jump at all.

Man, practicing for a week with a 150 that bends and then having the heaed coach put me on a 160 because I'm like a pound or two over (I think) sucked - so much work put into vaulting correctly, and now it was blown to pieces because the pole was so stiff it wouldn't bend, so I just reverted my ways.

Freaking out is definately not a good thing.

AKell
PV Nerd

Unread postby AKell » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:30 pm

get pumped but not tense. you need adrenaline but also athletically ready and loose. (if that makes sense) ;)
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. -Pre

AdapT
PV Newbie

Unread postby AdapT » Wed May 03, 2006 7:28 pm

I have the same problems as well, most times at meets I just go over and over in my head what the perfect form looks like and feels. Its hard when your head likes to wander uncontrollably(especially when your on the runway preparing to vault). But thats my best way getting ready for a meet. Recently though, the bar has been freaking me out mentally, friends told me in practice I was getting at least 10'6 or 11', so I put the bar up at 9'6 and half the time I landed in the plant box, never succeeding. Conference is coming up, so ill need to conquer my fears pretty soon.
Practice, Practice, Practice.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”