Class of 2006 Signings

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:21 pm

http://www.courant.com/sports/highschoo ... highschool

[Abby] Petersen, who will attend the University of Vermont

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 01, 2006 12:21 am

http://www.joplinglobe.com/sports/local ... ndarystory

Five sign to race for Lions

The Joplin Globe
By Jim Fryar

Globe Sports Editor

There's a major rebuilding project in the immediate future for Missouri Southern women's track and field coach Patty Vavra.

The Lions graduate eight seniors this spring, a combination of key performers and leaders.

"They've all been such an integral part of our program," Vavra said. "We've had an awful lot of success with these young ladies. They've brought the program in a positive direction."

The loss makes Southern's recruiting for the 2007 season even more vital, and Vavra believes the Lions have taken a positive stride in that direction. Five athletes who have signed for next season could all become immediate contributors, Vavra said.

The newcomers are distance runners Kimi Shank and Courtney Waltbillig, pole vaulter Ciara Lipsey, thrower Erin Steffens and jumper Jessie Wood.

"We're very happy with this group," said Vavra. "We believe they will be successful both in the classroom and in track and field.

"Combined with the early signees we had in November, they give us really good balance between several events areas."

Lipsey, from Maize High School in Wichita, was the Kansas Class 6A runnerup in the pole vault as a junior. She holds the school record with a vault of 11 feet.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 01, 2006 7:44 am

http://www.lodinews.com/articles/2006/0 ... 060428.txt

Alex Goldberg has signed with Long Beach State, Tessa Fraser with UC Davis

Fraser says the departure of fellow pole vaulters Sam Weaver and Brooke Cranston, who are freshmen on the track and field squads at the University of Hawaii and Fresno State University, respectively, has made her senior season more challenging.

"We really pushed each other and it was good having them around," said Fraser, whose best mark in the pole vault was 11 feet, 9 inches during the section meet last season. "They really helped (my development)."

The senior considered joining Weaver at Hawaii, as well as UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara and the University of New Mexico, but decided Davis was the best fit.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 01, 2006 8:00 am

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/app ... /GPGsports

[Andy] Lindberg and Fisher met each other during a track and field recruiting visit to the University of Minnesota.

Not only have Lindberg and Fisher both decided to compete for the Golden Gophers next season, they also have decided to be roommates next year.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 01, 2006 8:44 pm

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 6/60426052

[Elliot] Vocke, who has also competed in football and swimming, recently finalized plans to continue with pole vaulting in college. He accepted a scholarship offer to attend the University of Cincinnati.

“I’ve always wanted to jump in college ever since about eighth grade, but it didn’t seem realistic until last year when I made it to state,â€Â

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 04, 2006 2:21 pm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06124/687149-59.stm

[Caitlin] Hewitt will attend Stanford University on a track and field scholarship. Her 4.05 GPA ranks ninth among a class of 392.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 04, 2006 2:38 pm

http://www.newstribune.com/articles/200 ... wander.txt

Vaulting her way to Indiana
By Tom Loeffler
sports@newstribune.com

Vera Neuenswander (seated, center) signs a track and field letter-of-intent to attend Indiana University Tuesday morning. Seated with her are her parents, Joyce and Joe Neuenswander. Standing are Jefferson City track coaches (from left) Roberta Licklider, Kirk Obermiller and Dennis Licklider.
Julie Smith/News Tribune photo

If Vera Neuenswander's high school career is any indication, Indiana University will shine a little bit brighter the next few years.

Neuenswander, a senior at Jefferson City High School, signed a track and field letter-of-intent with Indiana Tuesday morning.

Besides her considerable athletic talent, Neuenswander was a success in all aspects of high school life, said Dennis Licklider.

“She's an exceptionally strong student, she has a bright personality, and she's got more school spirit than anybody I can remember in a long time around here,â€Â

CooperPV
PV Wannabe
Expertise: College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Don Cooper

Signed

Unread postby CooperPV » Fri May 05, 2006 12:14 am

Kirk Cooper, Signed with The University of Kansas
It's just you and the bar

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 05, 2006 8:53 am

http://www.nj.com/sports/bridgeton/inde ... ml&coll=10

Pole vault star signs with Temple
Tuesday, May 02, 2006
By GIUSEPPE UNGARO
Staff Writer
After taking the time to weigh the pros and cons of several colleges, it all came down to one issue for Millville High School's Melissa Gale: Family.

That's why the Thunderbolt senior officially signed with Temple University Monday in front of her family, friends, coaches and administrators.

Gale could have spent the next few years in upstate New York at Cornell or in Virginia at James Madison. However, the short drive from Millville to Philadelphia won out.

"I pretty much picked it because it was close to home," explained Gale. "I don't like to be too far from home and my family. If I went to Cornell or James Madison, I knew I would probably be real homesick."

It makes sense that Gale would want her family near by. Her parents have been a big part of her athletic life ever since she started gymnastics when she was six years old.

When she became a pole vaulter in her sophomore year, her father, Dan, became her coach and has helped her blossom into a college-worthy pole vaulter.

"I don't think my parents ever missed a meet and if they did it's because one went to watch my brother, but I would always have at least one there," said Gale. "It would be really different if they couldn't be there.

"I believe they helped me because I knew no matter how well I did I would have my family to lean on. They think I'm great no matter what. At least that's what they tell me."

They certainly think it's great that she put the time and effort in to both her academic and athletic careers. Gale received scholarships for both at Temple, which happens to be her mother Patt's alma mater.

"She is tough and it doesn't come easy for her so she worked hard academically," said Patt Gale. "She is sixth in her class and now she has to maintain a B average so I know she will work hard. She knows her roommate (Briannae Wilson of Buena) from track and field. I'm happy she has someone who will help her work hard on academics."

"I'm glad that she will get another coach because it's easier for me to be a dad," said Dan Gale. "It's tough to try to be both a coach and dad. I'm absolutely proud of her, but I've always been proud even before this. It's pretty cool."

Gale knew that this day was possible after her first pole vault attempt, when she cleared 7-6, which would have been good enough to qualify for states.

Two years later, she is close to 12-0 and has won several state medals. This past winter she finished second in the entire state at the Winter Track Meet of Champions.

"We will miss her but we are excited for her and that she is taking the next step," said Bolts coach Marissa Brown. "We are thrilled it will be at a local school. Philly is pretty close, and we will get to see her compete successfully at Division I athletics. Her leadership has been incredible for our program."

The tough part for Gale was picking the school since she never really knew exactly where she wanted to go. Succeeding there doesn't seem as much of a daunting task, according to Gale.

That may be because she knows how to manage her time since she has been training for either gymnastics or the pole vault over the last 12 years. Both sports take time-consuming, specific training.

"I would be in the gym for four or five hours a night after school, then I would have to do homework and then get to sleep at 12," she explained. "I think that will help me. I've been able to manage my time. I know what needs to get done and when it needs to get done. I know it will be harder, but I will take the skills that I have and apply that."

Gale may have had a difficult time picking a school, but picking her reward was easy. The future Temple pole vaulter will receive a car from mom and dad for attaining a full scholarship to a Division I school.

Gale will be riding to Temple in style -- a brand new Ford Escape Hybrid.

"I like SUVs because I don't like to be close to the ground," said Gale. "And I wanted a hybrid because of the high gas prices. It was the only hybrid that is an SUV. It's cute. I picked light blue."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 10, 2006 9:44 am

Indiana - Laura Williams (OH) 12-0

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge