Pole Vault Manifesto

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.

Is 18ft vault possible for women

Poll ended at Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:12 pm

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 61

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:42 am

Vigneron was the man!
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:54 pm

altius wrote:I always believed that Vigneron was the best technician of the great French vaulters of the 70s and early eighties; he did many things well - but especially the second stage. However I havent looked at him lately with my Petrov/Bubka glasses on!

Altius,

While Bubka as great as he was, sometimes it is important glasses off and examine other vaulters techniques. If you have time, check out Vigneron’s technique jumping 19’5+, 19’2â€Â

rodeojoe74
PV Newbie

free take-off

Unread postby rodeojoe74 » Tue May 16, 2006 10:16 pm

Awesome post by agapit!!! A true contribution to the sport! I'm hoping agapit or others would be willing to develop the topic of "free take-off" a little further. I have a couple questions and comments about it. Does a "free take-off" require the last step to be directly under the hand hold or even out a bit? Is it possible to have a "free take-off" and be "under?" Mack and Stevenson are obviously under, but they've vaulted 6.00. Perhaps they could vault even higher with a better take-off. And finally, some coaches have suggested that the "free take-off" (or perhaps a "jump--hit" take-off) is only for elite vaulters with exceptional speed, and that it may even be detrimental or dangerous for other vaulters. While I do not agree with that idea, I would still like to hear some comments about it.

Carolina21
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.59

Unread postby Carolina21 » Wed May 17, 2006 3:55 pm

Somehow my post went to wrong forum....
Last edited by Carolina21 on Fri May 19, 2006 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Rise to the occasion
PR: 18' 4.0

agapit
PV Follower

Re: free take-off

Unread postby agapit » Fri May 19, 2006 10:55 am

rodeojoe74 wrote:Awesome post by agapit!!! A true contribution to the sport! I'm hoping agapit or others would be willing to develop the topic of "free take-off" a little further. I have a couple questions and comments about it. Does a "free take-off" require the last step to be directly under the hand hold or even out a bit? Is it possible to have a "free take-off" and be "under?" Mack and Stevenson are obviously under, but they've vaulted 6.00. Perhaps they could vault even higher with a better take-off. And finally, some coaches have suggested that the "free take-off" (or perhaps a "jump--hit" take-off) is only for elite vaulters with exceptional speed, and that it may even be detrimental or dangerous for other vaulters. While I do not agree with that idea, I would still like to hear some comments about it.

You absolutely can have a free take-off and be under. It is not realistic to hit the right spot at all times. The free take-off is a set of action driven by a certain intention not to resist or bend the pole but rather accelerate the natural swing. The fact that you leave the ground before the pole bends is an outcome that is naturally achieved (most of the time) if you have right intentions.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

vaultfan

A free take-off with the take-off under?

Unread postby vaultfan » Fri May 19, 2006 12:23 pm

Perhaps there should be some discussion as to whether or not a free take-off can be achieved while taking off under. I have a feeling that most would disagree.

The 6-7-2004 post made by Achtungpv is probably relevant to this subject:

http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/vie ... ght=#23351

I expect to receive all kinds of boos and hisses because of this post. However, my only agenda is to hope that vaulters and coaches will attempt to study and understand the free takeoff concept.

agapit
PV Follower

Re: A free take-off with the take-off under?

Unread postby agapit » Fri May 19, 2006 1:40 pm

vaultfan wrote:Perhaps there should be some discussion as to whether or not a free take-off can be achieved while taking off under. I have a feeling that most would disagree.

The 6-7-2004 post made by Achtungpv is probably relevant to this subject:

http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/vie ... ght=#23351

I expect to receive all kinds of boos and hisses because of this post. However, my only agenda is to hope that vaulters and coaches will attempt to study and understand the free takeoff concept.

It is absolutely clear, that if in successful jumps you are taking-off before pole hits the box, your grip is too low! If you are under it is either because the plant action is incorrect or the length of the run up is too short for the current conditions. The plant in my experience is a more likely cause of the “underâ€Â

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Wed May 24, 2006 12:51 pm

Agapit is right on this one. Intention is far more important than position. There are compensations that can be made at the takeoff to conter being under. If the intention is a free takeoff, and the athlete knows how to do it, it will be as free as possible under the conditions at the plant. That is why Bubka could takeoff under sometimes and still jump outrageous bars.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Fri May 26, 2006 5:45 am

Tim McMichael wrote:Agapit is right on this one. Intention is far more important than position. There are compensations that can be made at the takeoff to conter being under. If the intention is a free takeoff, and the athlete knows how to do it, it will be as free as possible under the conditions at the plant. That is why Bubka could takeoff under sometimes and still jump outrageous bars.

good point. thank you.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri May 26, 2006 10:12 am

agapit wrote:
wakesurfvault wrote:So are you saying that getting vertical is bad??? 'Cause if so, that makes absolutely no sence to me.

I do not say that getting vertical is bad. I say that that center of gravity should rise faster than pole recoil.

A lot of thinking...
And this would require amazing athletic ability, no doubt. I believe for all but the elite, thinking about many of these aspects is too much to think about when getting the basics. The basics being to a point of getting 17, 18 feet. If i were to think about beginning my pull-push phase emmediately after the take off, i would end up swinging too early and ruining my upward-penetration momentum. I just want to make sure i shouldnt be changing my approach of pole vaulting at this early stage in my pole vaulting career, before i have total control over all original 6.15 phases first, thanks.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

matthew2
PV Newbie

Unread postby matthew2 » Fri May 26, 2006 11:42 am

I dont exactly get the push pull phase, anyone want to explain?

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Sat May 27, 2006 12:05 pm

I think the idea is that everything the vaulter does on the pole should add power to the vault. Since any power going in must be divided between the vaulter and the pole, this means a faster swing as well as more penetration. This being the case, any action that fits this criterion cannot be started too soon or continued too long. The faster and earlier you swing, the more penetration you get. This is only possible, however, if you are taking off free and initiating and continuing everything with a pull from the hands. If you are under and getting yanked, a faster swing is murder. The hips pass the pole too soon and it straightens too early, hanging you out to dry over the box. Not good.

I am not sure exactly why, but I am convinced that it is true, that as soon as the hips pass the pole it must straighten. Your swing on the pole must make the pole move away from you, or your hips will pass it too soon. The beauty of pulling and swinging early is that as long as you keep the pressure on, the pole will keep moving. Your hips can’t catch up with it until it is finished bending.

This is one of the enormous benefits of this method in competition. You can be very aggressive with your jumps. If your pole is too stiff, or your step is off, the vault short circuits, and your hips cannot catch up with the pole at all. This means an automatic bail-out even though the attempt to swing was made instantly and with maximum effort. With practice, the vaulter learns that it is better to aggressively attack big poles instead of waiting to see if they are going to get in before beginning to swing. In the heat of battle with a lot of adrenaline, this can mean getting on much large poles than possible in practice.

Once again, you must be taking off correctly with a massive pull from the hands and zero push or you will pass the pole too soon, with bad results.

It is possible to add to penetration after your hips pass the pole, but only if you reach that point by applying pressure with the hands. By laying your shoulders back and continuing to apply pressure through an active extension, you can gain more penetration. It is minimal, only about five to eight inches, but that can mean a lot in the right situation.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”